Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Fast Fueler/ Check it out!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Fast Fueler/ Check it out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:51 AM
as722
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast Fueler/ Check it out!

Well I just got my Fast Fueler and I thought I would show you guys some pics. I've wanted a way to fill my airplane but I did,t want to use an electric pump. The fast fueler is all aluminum, it has a heavy duty fuel filter that you can take out and clean and it has a heavy duty preaussure relief valve that opens at around 25 P.S.I. for safety! It also has a preassure gauge. There is no reason I should ever have to buy another one again this unit is built to last! Here is the link http://fastfueler.com/ as well as some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62036.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	193092  
Old 11-15-2004, 09:00 AM
as722

Default RE: Fast Fueler/ Check it out!

Here's a picture of the filter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70130.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	193098  
Old 11-15-2004, 09:00 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Man.. For $350 I can sure buy a lot of Hangar 9 hand pumps. Sure looks nice though.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:06 AM
as722

I used to use a hand pump, but filling up a 50oz tank gets old after a while. It is all aluminum and very well constructed. It is not for every one but if you are looking for an alternative to an electric set up this might be the answer for you.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Hooked-On-RC
My Feedback: (16)

Geez....$350 bucks. Those must be some special pressure relief valves and some pretty high tech welds to try and justify that kind of price.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:13 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, spendy unit, heck an electric Jersey modeller can is only $200 or so. Polish that thing!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:59 AM
Diablo-RCU

That's a lot of filet mignon. I think I'll keep cranking by hand.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:01 PM
AEROSHELDON
My Feedback: (99)

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts

Looks nice, I like it. How do you de-fuel?
Old 11-15-2004, 06:39 PM
as722

I'm going to put a slimline fitting on my overflow and I'll be able to connect the same airpump to the overflow, give it a half a pump and it'll defuel while I'm taking the airplane apart at the end of the day. It's costly at first but there's no batteries or pumps to replace. I like the fact that I don't have batteries to charge or sparks to worry about. I've always worried about electric pumps around gas. A friend of mine had a kavan electric gas pump catch on fire while filling the airplane and even though it could have been prevented there's always the chance of a spark.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:52 PM
mAvRiCk-inactive

One of my flying Buddies has one and he seems to like it a lot. IT sure is a cool system. He showed me how it works and I was very impressed. Never paid attention while he filled it though. $350.00 is a lot of money though [:@]
Old 11-15-2004, 08:07 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

$5 dollar plastic gas jug - couple of 50 cent fittings and a $10 bicycle pump to pressurize the jug & I'll almost bet it fills just as fast and $275 bucks cheaper!!

Not quiet as pretty though []
Old 11-15-2004, 08:39 PM
Flying Elvis
My Feedback: (13)

My thoughts exactly! The first thing I noticed was the bike pump. Thanks to as722 for sharing this idea - I think I will make mine from parts at Walmart... Besides, I can buy a fire extinguisher there too and still be well under $350. This is a prime example of somebody taking advantage of our hobby. Note that he also sells a prop balancer for $129!!!
I am suprised nobody ever came out with a fitting on a hand pump that allows you to put a spinner on it - that way you could use your starter to fuel and defuel your plane! Hmmmm - wait...forget that. I will sell the plans for $200!!

Old 11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
daren
My Feedback: (4)

you could use a garden sprayer.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:07 AM
Messerschmitt
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Elvis, wow take it easy buddy. If somebody takes the time to develop a product they have the right to charge whatever they want for it. That does not mean that you have to buy it. I have a 2 gallon plastic jug w/ a pneumatic pump attached. It works great, but after seeing this I think I'll buy one. It's much more ergonomical & safe, and I just plain like it. I don't think it's over priced. Have you priced aluminum lately? I have, I'm building an affordaplane, I'll tell you aluminum is way up. Not to mention the time & tools required to fab this.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Flying Elvis
My Feedback: (13)

I guess I just get riled up when I see something that I feel is overpriced for our hobby. I don't have any problem with somebody making a buck on their product, just keep it in line with the other similar products. For example, I think Dean at Jersey modeler makes a great system for $50. He probably has $25 in parts, so I think his price is right. But $350 for a fuel tank seems high to me. Just my .02 - If I am out of line, no harm intended.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

There is a market for very high priced "Keep up with the Jones' " things in every aspect of life.
To say this manufactor is "Taking advantage of our hobby" is disingenuous.
They will sell those to people that find value in them and not to those that don't. I don't find the value in the Jets that can get insanely expensive but I won't run the manufators down that sell them.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:30 PM
as722

You can't compare a jersey models unit with this one. The jersey models unit is very nice and it is less because it cost less to make. Like I said earlier in my post, it is not for everyone. I know how much aluminum cost these days and I know the amount of work that goes into making this unit. I got tired of hand pumps, they don't last ( at least for me ) and I don't personaly like electric pumps for gas.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

Okay.. Let me try to put this into perspective. I use about 1 - 2 pumps per year and I pump a lot of fuel... At $13.95 per year, per pump, I can pump fuel for over 25 years.. Or, I could buy one pump at $350 and pump for I don't know how long.

I could also buy a $250,000 motor home to pull my custom built airplane trailer to the field and contest events. Or, I could also take my old pickup truck, tie the airplane in the back and do the same thing. Neither are going to make me or my airplanes fly any better or more reliable.

Don't get me wrong, if someone gave me the fuel pump, I would take it in a blink of an eye. There certainly are people that have the means and money that wouldn't give a damn less what it costs, just as long as they have one. Again, I wish I was in that position.

Right now, at this very moment, I have a fuel pump on my gas container and one extra new pump in the box for when this wears out (yes, it will wear out). My airplanes will fly without a fancy pump. They won't fly without new batteries, new wheels, new servos, new motors and many other new things needed just for maintenance of my airplanes. I could always upgrade my radio, my receivers, my batteries, my motors to assure the airplane is "flyable". $350 would help me do this.

Okay, now that I've explained my situation, I believe the majority of people I fly with are budgeting what they do with their "hobby dollars" just like I do and a $350 pump is no where in the list.

My point is, if I were sponsored, if I hit the lottery, and/or money (or wives objections) was no object, then I'd have one of these fancy things right now. Until then, I'll more closely scrutinize how I spend my hobby dollars....

John
Old 11-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Mastertech
My Feedback: (31)

You found good value in this pump and it fit your needs at this time, isn't it great that there are products out here like this one and many others that we can buy to fill the need? Thats whats so great about this hobby is there's something for everyone, whatever the price level. What I took exception to was someone running down a manufactor because of the price. If you don't find the value in something don't buy it.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:28 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: as722

I don't personaly like electric pumps for gas.
How do you feel about the electric fuel pump in your car? The one that is INSIDE your gas tank?/ I use a Purolator universal 12V pump on my gas can. Average life is reported as 100,000 miles plus. At say 20 mpg that's something like 5,000 gallons of gas. For me that is a LOT of flying. I fly maybe 4 to 6 gallons a month. So that little $25 pump should last me about 70 years give or take. Even if I start flying 4 times as much, it will still last me well into retirement!! By that time I expect we'll all be flying high performance electrics!!

My whole set up with a gel cell battery cost less than $50. I can replace the gel cell and pump 7 times if need be and still be ahead of the game.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Messerschmitt
My Feedback: (28)

is your pump always completely submerged in gasoline? that is how is was designed to be installed. a spark in gasoline is not very dangerous. The danger in electric pumps is caused by the atmosphere, it's the gas vapors mixed with oxygen that explode when sparked. I'm not knocking your system, or trying to be a smart ass, and you probably are already aware or this. rather I am making a point so that someone who does not know, won't run out and buy an electirc auto gas pump & think they are "safe".
Old 11-16-2004, 08:42 PM
as722

aresti2004, I know the fuel pump in my car is most likely in the tank ( not all cars do have it in the tank ) . I work on 480VAC motors for a living as well as hydrolic pumps. The conditions of an electric pump inside the gas tank of a car are different than most pumps we use . I've seen a kavan pump catch on fire! I realize that it is not likely but it can happen. If I was to buy an electric setup I would buy the Jersey modeler because it it the safest setup I've seen. The way they have the pump in a case with the batteries it's less likely to spark. I'm aware that an electric setup done properly works great. What I like about the fast fueler is that I never have to replace the pump or batteries and when I go to a contest I don't have to worry about charging batteries. I use lithiums on my airplanes so I don' have to charge them neither for the whole weekend. Best part if you don't like this system you don't have to buy it I liked it so I bought it. Isn't it great to have choices?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

if it comes in red I'll take one. sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. i vote it top 10 in the gasser wish list