Community
Search
Notices
WildHare R/C Support Disscuss WildHare RC products in this forum. Please note, answers may be provided by Tom Fawcett (owner of WildHare RC) or by the general membership.

Lands too hot - help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:27 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lands too hot - help!

My Edge has the DA50 with MenzS 22x10, turning 6700-6800 max. Approx half a dozen flights on the plane, so the engine has less than 1 gallon through it and idle is not very low, approx 2000 rpm. CG is located at 4-5/8 to 4-3/4". Manual states 4-1/2 - 5" so I'm right in the middle.

Plane takes off and flies wonderfully, hovers nicely (within my ability level, anyhow).

Problem:
Landing - once the plane gets within 3-4 feet of the ground, it simply doesn't want to slow down. I wish the idle was lower but it will take some more break in before that happens. At the moment, I eat up a lot of runway trying to bring it down, and I wound up in the over-run area yesterday. Our runway is not set up to allow me to set up nice, long approaches. Naturally, this problem makes it not so much fun to fly, in the back of my mind knowing that I've got to land it eventually! One of my fellow flyers has had the same issue with his WH Edge and DA50. He's experimented with an elev->flap mix to give down flap with up elevator on landing, to help flare the plane and slow it for landing. Seems to help his a little bit. I dialed in this mix but have not tried it yet.

1. I know that a forward CG will make a plane land long...should I move the CG back a little?
2. I'm probably getting some airflow pulling it along with the 10" pitch prop at 2000 rpm...should I swap props? I have a new Mejzlik 23x8 I could try, but my buddy has run these and didn't find it landed much different for him than a 22x10 Zinger. How about something wider than the MenzS...would that help slow it down? What's good for braking the plane (and breaking in the engine!)
3. Does the up elevator-->down flap mix make sense?

Any tips would be appreciated. It really flies nice, but after every flight I still have to land it, after all.......maybe a tail-hook.....hmmm.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:45 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Default RE: Lands too hot - help!

I'd try a 22x8 and see how low you can get the idle. A guy at our field has the same set up and his idled down the first time he ran the engine which was also the first time he flew the airplane. DA is a good engine and if it does quit, hey you're close to landing anyways. I know you don't want to deadstick, but give it a try. Also try adding a few degrees of spoilerons if you don't want to attempt the idle anymore.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:51 AM
RCAddiction

No question, the DA is a nice engine. I need to tweak the low end needle a bit to see if I can get it a bit lower. Spoilerons is a good idea. Maybe I'll put it on a switch for landings only?

Any particular 22x8 that you suggest? I'd like to avoid over-revving the engine. Alternatively, MSC is now offering a 23x8 as well as the 22x8.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Rockyaged

I'd recommend going to the 22-8 prop. Should put you close to 7000 rpms max
and allow a lower rpm for landing. You also can set up a landing box pattern,
Downwind begin your landing decent, turn Base, (towards the runway) trying to
get the plane to 10 of 15 foot and level off to decrease airspeed. Turn final and
if necessary add alittle power to reach the runway safely. Alittle practice of this
type of landing, and you'll be able to land it anywhere.
I have the MSC wood 22-8 on my DA50. Started it up, tweaked the needles some
and taxi-ed the plane in an alley way, no problem.

Gerald
Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 AM
ben beyer

Basically any of the high quality wood props like Menz, NX, 3W, BME, etc. Zingers and Master Airscrews are good props, but the wood they use for their big one is the same as the small ones and tend to flex. A good Menz or NX etc. will only run you about 3 dollars more. The guys (including the one with a DA 50 on his WH edge) run Menz and I'm planning on running a NX on my ZDZ 50 NG for my edge and seem to do well with these props.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:08 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

I would ditch the Zinger prop and go with something better...and anything is better. A carbon fiber prop like the Mejzlik may help get the idle a bit lower (they're a bit heavier than wood). I would also drop down to an 8-pitch prop. If it where me I would try a 23x8 Mejzlik. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:42 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

I agree switch to a 22-8. and if that dont work. try this........ give the radio 2 clicks of down trim when you are starting to set up for your approach. this will help the plane settle in for a landing. other wise your going to have to push the plane down for its landing. and thats a weird feeling.

Also ......you dont have to worry about overreving the da 50. they want you to run a smaller prop for breakin so you can have higher rpm's while you break in the motor. 7000 rpm's are not going to hurt this motor. the more rpm the better

Hope this help's

P.S. Check your incidence Some of the earlier models had some probems with the incidence on the stab's
Old 11-16-2004, 01:52 PM
DamonTX

I had the same problem with an Ohio R/C Extra 300. The thing wouldn't slow down. I changed the prop from wood to carbon fiber and that helped. But what solved the problem was pushing the CG back 1.5".
Old 11-16-2004, 02:57 PM
RCAddiction

Pauly, I have a MenzS 22x10, not a Zinger. My buddy has the same plane and engine, same CG as well, with both 23x8 Mejzlik and 22x10 wood, with similar landing characteristics.

Sounds like the plan of action is:
1. tweak needles to get idle lower
2. move CG back a little bit
3. try 22x8 prop.
4. dial in some spoilerons on a switch in case 1, 2, 3, don't help!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:41 PM
ptgarcia

Pauly, I have a MenzS 22x10, not a Zinger. My buddy has the same plane and engine, same CG as well, with both 23x8 Mejzlik and 22x10 wood, with similar landing characteristics.
Oh, sorry about that Lee, I misunderstood you. I think your solution lies in lowering your idle. If a larger, heavier prop won't work maybe it just needs a little more run-in time. I would still drop down to a 8-pitch prop. Good luck to you!
Old 11-16-2004, 04:18 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

Lee I talked to the guys over a DA about this same problem the other day. They suggested that I use a 22x8 prop. I looked at all the different brand of 22x8 props that they had in stock and chose the MSC. It has a wider blade than all of the other brands and Brian at DA said that it wouldn't turn as mush RPM as the menz prop. He said it would give me better vertical performance as well but not as much speed. I have used MSC props on my larger engines so I said what the heck and got one. I haven't flown my wildhare extra yet as I am still building it but my friend flies his every weekend. He has used both the menz and msc props and likes both. His plane defenatley has more speed with the menz prop. Try switching props I think that you will find you like it.

Rick
Old 11-16-2004, 04:53 PM
ptgarcia

I have a MSC 22x8 sitting in my prop bag that I haven't tried yet. The hub is so big it won't fit in the cut-outs on my 3-1/2" Tru-Turn Ultimate spinner with Menz cut! I just spent $100 on that spinner and refuse to hack away at it so I'm sticking with the Mejzlik, Menz and Bambula props I have.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
rctom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say your main problem is getting the idle down low enough. If it loads up at llow speed try leaning the low end needle. You should be able to let the plane sit on a hard surface and not move with the engine running and nobody holding it. If you can't do that, there's no hope. Work on that at home in your driveway.

The Edge has such a big wing that even a tiny bit of thrust will keep it flying.

You can also try quick rudder wags back and forth. This will really scrub off speed in a hurry. Do one, see where you are, do another. 3 or 4 will make it fall out of the sky.

TF
Old 11-16-2004, 07:47 PM
RCAddiction

Tom and everyone, thanks. Yup, it sure does like to glide once it gets into ground effect!

I like the tail waggling thing. Cool. Much easier than trying to cross-control to bleed off speed (for me), when I'm fairly close to the ground.

Unusually for me, I've not touched the low end needle since the engine came out of the box. I think it's the only engine I've ever owned that I can say that for. Hence. I'm sure there's opportunity to lean it and subsequently get the idle lower so it doesn't move on a paved surface. Will play with it on my patio this weekend. My across-the-street neighbor always seems to have kids sleeping when I run anything in the front yard, (or at least that's what his wife tells him to tell me when he walks up my driveway). So the backyard patio is a much better idea for me!

Trying an MSC 22x8 is probably also a good idea to try. Hope it fits my spinner!!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of curiousity, when the plane is flown inverted, how much down elevator is required to hold it level? If it's more than a light touch, you're probably nose heavy.

You'll find the MSC prop will help quite a bit. Perhaps you won't have blinding horizontal speed, but you sure won't run out of vertical.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
ben beyer

I know you spent all that money on a Tru-Turn, but I know Tom has the Dave Brown spinners cut for anything for around $40. A guy with an Edge and a DA 50 has one on his plane and it still looks just as sharp.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:05 PM
RCAddiction

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer

Out of curiousity, when the plane is flown inverted, how much down elevator is required to hold it level? If it's more than a light touch, you're probably nose heavy.

You'll find the MSC prop will help quite a bit. Perhaps you won't have blinding horizontal speed, but you sure won't run out of vertical.
I don't recall how much elevator it required inverted. Should require just light stick pressure if the CG is right. Anyhow, I usually fly upside down, not inverted. Will check it next time I fly. Only gonna change one variable at a time, though. As far as speed, I have a Quickie 500 plane for when I get that urge. No need for speed with the Edge.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

Balance: Your plane should be able to decend in a "three point" attitude if balanced correctly. The other thing that works well is side slipping, but that is a more advanced technique, though I suggest that anyone should learn it.

Now I can understand that your field may play an element in this, in tha case slipping is almost manditory. Last weekend I flew a laser for someone at my dield to give him some setup tips. This was a heavier aircraft and even with the fairly gentle glide slope at our field it was very difficult to get it in and slowed down enough to set into a three point attitude. The solution I came up with after some experimentation was to slip it to keep it slow untill it was low then get into my three point attitude. If your field has a higher glide slope than mine it could easily require this to be done with aircraft of lower wing loadings.

-Ian