Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Straight T.E. on sheeted foam wings?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Straight T.E. on sheeted foam wings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:22 PM
JackL
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight T.E. on sheeted foam wings?

I'm about to sheet a set of foam core wings for a 40% (120" ) kit, and am looking for suggestions on how to keep a nice straight trailing edge. I'm thinking about putting a .007 x 1" carbon fiber laminate strip on each side of the the trailing edge of the core, then puttng the sheeting on top. I'm trying to avoid a "wavy" or bowed trailing edge that I have seen and add some stiffness to the aileron.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:11 PM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Straight T.E. on sheeted foam wings?

I use the polyurethane method for the sheeting. The key is to have a bench that will support the weight needed during the gluing process that is dead flat, and will stay flat supporting the weight, about 300lbs. Instead of carbon strips(which I have done) I drag and leave more glue on the trailing edge of the aileron in the application process. I have had more problems of bowing ailerons during the gluing of the aileron leading edge. After the leading edge is glued and taped a quick eye down the trailing edge will show any errors and I straighten the aileron out against my knee before it sets up..You can always try a dry run with the weight and take a straight edge and check out the flattness of the trailing edge. This will show you what you have going before its too late..One other thing is that I cut a piece of 3/4 particle board the same size as the shuck to go on the foam stack to pile the weight on. This works great for me and others I know..good luck Walt
Old 11-18-2004, 11:56 PM
Mike James

Default RE: Straight T.E. on sheeted foam wings?

You can use a strip of 1/32" or 1/64" obeche glued between the balsa trailing edge pieces, too. (And, if you're into slotted flaps, you can use the same idea for flap slot lips.)

Pre-fab or homemade fiberglass sheet will work, too.