Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

First try at 3-d flag using Monokote...having trouble

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

First try at 3-d flag using Monokote...having trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 09:46 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First try at 3-d flag using Monokote...having trouble

OK, I've been wanting to try Termagator's fantastic trim idea on my cheapo World Models Mach IIS (the new purple design). One reason is that the white bottom of the wing is hard to see on cloudier days. Anyway, having zero Monokote experience, I've already run into problems with bubbles

The wing of the Mach II is built-up rather than sheeted (except oin the leading edges and in the center). Therefore, using a credit card squeegee is difficult because you can't really put too much pressure on the open areas of the wing. Secondly, the cut-out stars are a real pain in the tookus. It's almost impossible to get the sheet to lay flat, even using the Windex method as described.

OK, so now I have the blue area (with the stars cut out) placed, squeegeed as well as I can manage, and yet bubbles everywhere, particularly near corners of the stars. I got frustrated and let it sit overnight to dry and now I have to figure out, what's the best way to remove these bubbles? Although the red stripes should be easier, since they're solid, I still want to do a better job next time I get a chance to try this technique.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:32 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: First try at 3-d flag using Monokote...having trouble

an easy way to get rid of the bubbles is with a fine pin or sewing needle. use an iron on low heat, you will see the bubble start to expand, remove the iron and ***** the bubble at one side, reapply the iron opposite where pierced. and work the air out with iron.

This takes a light touch with the iron.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:05 PM
mpalermo

And dont forget, PATIENCE.

Slow and low heat will do the trick.. then use trim solvent once you get all the bubbles out of it....

Mike
Old 11-22-2004, 09:38 PM
IFlySlowPlanes

Thanks guys...that's just the help I needed! The work continues! The flag is starting to look....like a flag!
Old 11-22-2004, 10:55 PM
birdnest

I'm not sure exactly what you are doing there, but since you live in reading i feel obligated to add something.
If you have put on a trim piece with windex, sometimes part of the trim won't lie flat due to compound curves, etc., like over a wing tip. Get the trim down as best as you can with windex, then, when its dry, lift up and pull back the edges that arent stuck down. Then, iron the trim back down, ironing from the center out towards the edge with a warm iron, usually the little trim iron with the cylindrical or shoe-horn shaped tip. hold up the free end of the trim with a forceps as you iron it to keep from trapping air.

peter
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
IFlySlowPlanes

Thanks Peter! What club do you fly from in the Reading area? I'm at TCWS near Hamburg.

Here's the thread that originally piqued my interest in this technique: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/How_..._603331/tm.htm
Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 PM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

I put that design on my Somthing Extra wing which is also built up and only sheeted on the leading edge and in the center. I didn't have any trouble getting the bubbles out. You can put more pressure than you think on that monocote.