Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tye-Dye Covering?!?!?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tye-Dye Covering?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 01:35 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tye-Dye Covering?!?!?

Has anyone tried a tye-dye color scheme?

Couple of questions:
1. What would be a good covering material to use?
2. What effect(if any) does bleach have on Monokote(or ultracote, etc)

Opinions, suggestions, comments welcome!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tye-Dye Covering?!?!?

You will not get the effect you are looking for in a film covering. The paint is sprayed on a sheet of plastic and then covered with a second clear sheet.

The pre-glued fabric coverings (SolarTex, Coverite ) MAY work, however I have serious doubts about it. I don't know how the dye will affect the glue and since the majority are pre-painted, I don't feel you will get the effect you are looking for.

To get the "tie-dye" effect you will probably need to use something like a polyester cloth from a fabric shop, then dye it yourself. Of course the application will be similar to using Koverall. You will need to use Stix-It on the frame to adhere it and any overlaps, then after shrinking it, you will need to apply some type of clear fuel proofing - probably clear dope.

Hope this is of some help.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:00 PM
cwrr5

Hmmmmm...... I think some experimentation is in order....
Old 11-23-2004, 05:01 PM
dbruening80

There was an article in Model Aviation 10 or more years ago about this. I still have the magazine at home as I ran across this a few weeks ago. It really wasnt tye-dye, but simply stripes of different colors running chordwise on the wing. I believe the author used rit dye and clear monokote, I'll look tonight an see if I can find the article. I know he dyed the covering before he applied it to the plane.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:49 PM
tonystro

ORIGINAL: cwrr5

Has anyone tried a tye-dye color scheme?

Couple of questions:
1. What would be a good covering material to use?
2. What effect(if any) does bleach have on Monokote(or ultracote, etc)

Opinions, suggestions, comments welcome!
In 1971, I was seeking a way to put a multi-color 'lozenge' type color scheme on a Midwest 'Sweet Stik.' The iron-on coverings were not as popular then, with doped silk or sikspan being the more common coverings. After days of trying different ideas, my wife suggested that she be allowed to try her hand at it. In my estimation she performed a miracle, using covering silk and the tye-dye mehods then in voogue. If I remember correctly she first dyed all the material (tan) the dripped/dipped four or five other dye colors to create splotches of approximately 2.5 inches across, most overlapping a half inch or so. The fabric was blocked to prevent shrinkage while drying. I then used it to cover the wings and stabilizers, usig clear dope to fill the weave and shrink it tight. Somewhere, a one of many boxes, I believe I have a couple of photos but was unable to find them for inclusion with this post.

Since then I have successfully used ultralight weight, fine weave polyester in similar fashion, but lacking her artistic touch!
Old 11-23-2004, 07:06 PM
cwrr5

I appreciate the input all, and look forward to pictures if ya'll can find any!

Good idea with the RIT dye, I'll try that!
Old 11-24-2004, 01:31 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

The other method is to get an airbrush, and paint your 'tie-die pshychedelia' pattern.

Peace man!!
Old 11-24-2004, 02:20 PM
cwrr5

I might have to do that.... looking for more unusual techniques and results, keep 'em coming!
Hehehehe! Who said anything about a "pshychedelia" pattern?!? Gotta admit tho, it WOULD be different!
Nothing like that - I assure you..... for the next nine years anyway! [8D]