Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New FTE and RAM ECU software for new AMA rules

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New FTE and RAM ECU software for new AMA rules

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 01:01 PM
rjpmodel
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New FTE and RAM ECU software for new AMA rules

The new AMA turbine rules that become effective on Jan 1,2005 require that the transmitter fail safe MUST be programmed to KILL the engine within a time period up to two seconds. The current FTE and RAM ECU (all software versions) will kill the engine after a one second fixed period of time of consecutive kill signals (low throttle with low throttle trim). This will meet the rules but the engine will shut down after one second and not the maximum allowable two seconds.

I am releasing new software for the FTE turbines (version T03) and for the RAM turbines (version C03) to take advantage of the new AMA turbine rules. The new software will also include some new features.

The new software will allow the failsafe delay time to be adjustable to any value between 0.1 second and 25.5 seconds. The rules state that this must be set at a maximum of 2.0 seconds and this will be the default setting.

The number of failsafe hits and total time in failsafe condition for the current flight will be saved in the ECU . This data is saved even if the receiver/ECU has been turned off since the last flight. This is very helpful in detecting radio problems and radio interference problems especially at a new flying site.

The number and time duration of fail safe hits during the flight will be saved and displayed in the operator setup menu for the previous flight in addition to the normal flight time, max egt, max pump pw, and spool down time flight data.
All of the flight data including the new failsafe hit count and hit time for all past flights is also saved and can be viewed for each flight in the history menu.

There is also an instant kill function that will shut down the engine within 500ms(0.5 seconds) after the throttle kill setting (low throttle with low throttle trim) is detected.

The transmitter/receiver failsafe is set up using a throttle ATV setting of 125% and then set back to the normal 100% for normal operation after the failsafe setting is saved in the receiver. This allows for the full 100%, high resolution throttle ATV setting to be used for turbine control.

All FTE ECU’s can be upgraded to the new T03 software level and all RAM ECU’s with C02C level software can be upgraded to the new C03 software. All RAM ECU’s with pre C02C level software will require a hardware upgrade first. There were circuit board changes made when RAM went to the C02C software. This was done to provide a variable start motor control voltage for a smoother, more controlled, turbine startup for the speed 300 start motors.

The cost for the software upgrade for the FTE ECU’s and RAM ECU’s with C02C software will be $30 + shipping ($7 shipping/insurance US Priority Mail).
The cost for the hardware upgrade and C02C software has been $60. I have done a lot of these already and everybody as far as I know has been happy with the improvements. There is a lot of work involved with the circuit board changes.
I will do the hardware upgrade on any pre C02C level RAM ECU (normally $60) plus upgrade to the new C03 software ($30) for a total of $75 + shipping ($7 shipping/insurance US Priority Mail).

Send the ECU’s to Bob Price, 206 Breakaway Rd, Cedar Park, TX 78613. Email [email protected]. Phone 512-259-9232. Company name is RJP Model Products.
I will turn them around in several days but could be longer if I get swamped with ECU’s.
I do not have a way for charge cards so send check or money order with ECU.
Old 11-24-2004, 05:32 PM
rjpmodel

Default RE: New FTE and RAM ECU software for new AMA rules

I guess I better further clarify that I can only upgrade the autostart RAM ECU's that I developed/build and not the air start ECU's built by Electro Dynamics.
Bob Price.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:53 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Bob,
I was wondering if you ever made any software or a RS232 interface for looking over some of the flight data. Remember the old GW FD3-67 Similar to that. I have 3 of the T-500's.

Thanks
Tim D.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:01 AM
rjpmodel

Hi Tim. I do not know what the old GW FD3-67 is but I am working on a complete new ECU design that does download flight data to a computer.
Bob
Old 11-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Wayne22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new software will allow the failsafe delay time to be adjustable to any value between 0.1 second and 25.5 seconds. The rules state that this must be set at a maximum of 2.0 seconds and this will be the default setting.
I'm curious of the logic behind allowing a user adjustable failsafe delay beyond the legal 2 seconds?
Old 11-25-2004, 02:30 PM
rjpmodel

The software needs to be flexable and can not be tied down to the most current rules. If the rules change next year to a different value, would you like to send the ecu in again for another revision? The number 25.5 happens to be the maximum # available using .1 sec as the smallest increment and a maximum # size for a byte=255. It is up to the pilot in many areas to set up the equipment to meet the rules. Bob.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:22 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: nony

I'm curious of the logic behind allowing a user adjustable failsafe delay beyond the legal 2 seconds?

Nony,
Another reason is that this is an AMA rule. If you are not a part of the AMA (private field) or outside of the US you coud adjust the feature beyond what the AMA requires if you so desired.

Patrick.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Wayne22

Thanks..I figured theree must be a reason.....
Old 11-26-2004, 10:06 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

Hi Bob,
I will be sending you my RAM 1000 C02C ECU for updating soon to get the 2 second delay software update. The motor has 108 runs on it and I was wondering if that data will be lost during the update?
Thanks,
Al Watson
Old 11-28-2004, 09:30 AM
rjpmodel

Hi Al. Yes I am afraid that the history of past flights will be lost and the cycle # will start back at 1. You will need to write down any past flight history data you want to save. Sorry I forgot to mention this in the original post. Bob
Old 11-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Gene Margiotti
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Bob,

I would like to have my RAM 500R ECU upgraded from the current BO1L version. Does the upgrade also require the starter motor to be upgraded to the "X" version or can I leave the original starter motor intact. The current combination has been working well for my engine.

Thanks, Gene
Old 11-29-2004, 01:31 AM
rjpmodel

Hi Gene. No - The original RAM500 start motors and the new start motors are the same (speed300). The new start motor setup ajust llows the bendix and start motor to be changed easier. Just use your start motor until it has to be replaced. Bob.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:35 AM
rjpmodel

Again without the typing mistakes. Hi Gene. No - The original RAM500 start motors and the new start motors are the same (speed300). The new start motor setup just allows the bendix and start motor to be changed easier. Just use your start motor until it has to be replaced. Bob.
Old 12-04-2004, 01:04 AM
rjpmodel

Someone asked if the FTE engines will come with the new software. The answer is yes. All FTE turbines shipped from now on will have the new software version T03.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:03 PM
rjpmodel

There was a question on another thread about where to get FTE ECU's upgraded for the new rules. I am the only one that can upgrade the current FTE ECU's (T01A level) to the new T03 level for the new rules. Bob Price.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:13 PM
rjpmodel

When you send in your RAM750 or RAM1000 ecu's, make sure you tell me which start motor you have. The original start motor has a solid aluminum cover that slides off the back of the motor. The newer speed 300 start motor assembly has a cover with a cap at the back that screws off to allow easy replacement of the motor. The original start motors were used with the pre-C02C level ecu which applied full battery voltage to the motor during startup. The newer speed 300 start motor is more powerful and needs the C02C or new C03 level ecu which controls the voltage to the start motor for a slower, smoother, more controlled startup. There may be a few engines that have been upgraded with the newer speed 300 start motor but are using the pre-C02C level ecu. This will generate a fast, non-smooth startup and the start motor will burn out sooner. The C02C and new C03 level ecu internal default start motor parameters are set for the newer speed 300 start motor. If you have the original start motor I can set these parameters for this motor for now and I can change them back to the default values later if you upgrade to the newer speed 300 start motor. If your original start motor fails, you will need to upgrade to the newer speed 300 start motor because the original motors are no longer available. The newer speed 300 start motor assembly also allows for the easy replacement of start motor, bendix, and O RING.
Bob Price
Old 12-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Bob,
I removed the 280bb and went back to the speed 300 after your upgrade.There my be a start pw adjustment as well when converting to the speed 300. I have 20 runs on my 750p after the recent upgrade and it has not missed start. The motor lites off so smoothly and spools up perfect. The failsafe and hit count are located all on the same page with the other engine data for easy viewing.
V..
Old 12-21-2004, 02:41 PM
sixshooter2004
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
Ihave a RAM750f so am i out of luck using the engine now?
i see you dont do the airstart rams is anyone going to do the upgrade for the airstarts?
thanks[8D]
Old 12-21-2004, 04:10 PM
jetflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Six,

Andy is doing the upgrades - http://www.electrodynam.com - if you have a 2G or 2nd generation ECU. However, if you use a PCM RX and set the fail safe for Throttle to go shutdown, you should be in compliance with the 2005 AMA regulations.

JR Gautreaux
Old 12-21-2004, 05:35 PM
jetflyer

Six,

Actually I stand corrected so it seems. After reading the AMA regulations 510-A, it states

"The radio and/or ECU shall at a minimum be configured to bring the engine to idle, or preferable to shutdown, within 2 seconds of fail safe activation. By January 1, 2005, all radios must be equipped with fail safe and ECU's shall be configured to shutdown the engine within 2 seconds of fail safe activation."

I assume that since the device "ECU" was specifically mentioned, the "ECU" regardless of the RX needs to have the ability to shutdown the turbine. So if you don't have a 2G or 2nd Generation ECU that Andy states is upgradeable, then I guess come 2005 your turbine is a paper weight. Unless you fly at a non-AMA field.

JR Gautreaux
Old 12-21-2004, 07:03 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi JR,

You where right the first time. As long as the fail safe setting results in the engine shutting down in 2 seconds or less, the system is good to go in 2005. If you turn the transmitter off and the engine shuts off in time you pass the test. The regulation permits, but does not require, the ECU to delay the action. If for some odd reason an ECU can not shut an engine down it would not be compatible with the 2005 regulations, but I have never heard of such an ECU. The earlier RAM ECUs are in compliance, but you only get the delay that the radios fail safe system offers.

Steven

ORIGINAL: jetflyer

Six,

Actually I stand corrected so it seems. After reading the AMA regulations 510-A, it states

"The radio and/or ECU shall at a minimum be configured to bring the engine to idle, or preferable to shutdown, within 2 seconds of fail safe activation. By January 1, 2005, all radios must be equipped with fail safe and ECU's shall be configured to shutdown the engine within 2 seconds of fail safe activation."

I assume that since the device "ECU" was specifically mentioned, the "ECU" regardless of the RX needs to have the ability to shutdown the turbine. So if you don't have a 2G or 2nd Generation ECU that Andy states is upgradeable, then I guess come 2005 your turbine is a paper weight. Unless you fly at a non-AMA field.

JR Gautreaux
Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 PM
jetflyer

Steven,

I was hoping you would chime in and respond. Primarily the reason I re-posted a second time. Thanks for the clarification. Hope to see you and Dawn at some more events in 2005.

JR Gautreaux
Old 12-22-2004, 08:27 PM
sixshooter2004
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
Thanks for the help all
And remember allways check your six
Al
(sixshooter)[8D]
Old 01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
rjpmodel

I just received 2 of the older air start ecu's built by ElectroDynamics. These are the larger ecu's with Sermos connectors. I can not do anything with these. I believe Andy Lowe of ElectroDynamics is modifying the latest version of these to meet the new rules. His number is 800-337-1638.
Bob Price
Old 01-06-2005, 06:31 PM
rjpmodel

The two ecu's were from W.E. & C.L. Hunt of Victorville,CA but did not include any paperwork or a phone number. Does anyone have a phone number for this person? Thank you.
Bob Price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.