Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Housefly anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Housefly anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:27 PM
iosolutions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Housefly anyone?

I'm curious about the Housefly (with the counter-rotating blades). I'm looking for soemthing so easy to fly that my wife or friends can actually pick up the radio for the first time and fly. The theory and ads make sense, but is it really as stable as they claim. Can you simply apply a little throttle and lift it up and then control it VERY easily? Or is it just a variation of the same old thing that will not be able to be flown without some practice?

Any comments?

[8D]
Old 12-01-2004, 02:52 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Housefly anyone?

ALL helicopters require practice! No magic here, I've flown large scale and tiny scale, all the principles of flight are the same, That's what makes them helicopters.....
Old 12-01-2004, 03:03 PM
mz123

go for the hoverfly,

havent flew anything that was so stable and good for study as it.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Technito20

Besides the BladeRunner, I think the House Fly is the easiest it gets for as helicopters. I was a little skeptic about Megatech, just never knew of any helis from them. But a buddy of mine got one, I was teaching him and he learned within 2 days. It has 4 channel controls. No tail motor, mixing is in the rotorblades. One slows down for it to rotate. And of course throttle, pitch, and roll. It's really nice, and another thing it's one of the MOST stable helicopters I've ever flown.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:08 AM
humveecrusher

Thanks for the report! I've been thinking of getting one too. I saw one at the LHS for $219. Very nice looking. I also saw a video and it looked impressive. I know that Hirobo's XRB seems to be the choice, but the housefly hasn't had much "hands on" publicity. It's good to hear a "hands on" report especially when the housefly is $100 bucks cheaper. How was the forward flight?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:17 AM
Technito20

Yeah if you decide to get one you won't regret it. They normally run around $215 to $220 dollars around here also. I asked everyone requesting info on this heli before my buddy got it, but just like me nobody felt comfortable buying a heli by Megatech. So what the heck, I told him to go ahead and get the Housefly anyway. And for the price it's the best! And not to mention it's durability. Also relevant to the BladeRuner, the double rotors gives it extra stability. I have a BladeRunner and was impressed. The Housefly is an upgrade to the BladeRunner except that it has 4 channel controls. And will get you Almost 20 minutes of flight time. If you or someone you know has never flown a heli before, I'd recommend this number 1!
Old 12-07-2004, 11:54 PM
warren52nz

This is a new name for a helicopter that has been around for at least 6 months. I have two of them, in fact (and no others). Searchwords for these include "XRB" "counter-rotating" and "dragonfly". I've posted quite a bit about this model elsewhere in this forum including a bit on how to make your own blades from 1mm sheet styrene.

I'm an engineer and I've learned a LOT about these models. If anyone wants any help or advice with these please feel free to contact me on [email protected]

I bought six of these directly from China from a source close to the manufacturer and they were quite a bit cheaper than the prices you're quoting. But I had to buy them 6 at a time. If there's enough interest I might buy parts in bulk from my source or even whole choppers if it's worth my while. I'm not interested in making a killing off this venture.

Cheers
Warren Harding
New Zealand
Old 12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Technito20

I been hearing of an old heli that was pretty popular last year that was similar to the Housefly. I think it's called the Sky Robo. Would this be one you're talking about besides the ones you listed?
Old 12-08-2004, 06:19 PM
warren52nz

I bought my first one some time around August probably. It says "Dragonfly" on the box. I got it on Ebay for US$140 from memory. It's identical to this one:

http://www.raidentech.com/xrotationrchel.html

It says "Peace" on my canopy as does the one at the bottom of that link. I've seen various versions of it, usually just a different canopy or a differently shaped transmitter but essentially the same I believe. Also all major parts are interchangeable with the Hirobo Lama. But the Lama has a greater spacing between the upper and lower blades and uses styrofoam blades which won't work on my model because they're not rigid enough and I get blade strike between upper and lowers when I maneuver. So beware of that.

Never seen it called Sky Robo though. I can get them from China in boxes of 6 for less than US$140 and also all parts but shipping them to New Zealand and then to somewhere else is probably prohibitive. And I wouldn't want to organise it for no profit at all. I can put you in touch with the guy if you want to have a go. Where are you?

Also, I've learned HEAPS about these models (I've got two) so if you want to know anything about them just let me know. Best to email me directly on [email protected] because I don't check this page very often.

Cheers
Warren