Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

hey george

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:57 PM
cleyland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hey george

How do you think the evolution 1.00Nx would do on the extreme flight yak. And how much does your harrier weigh just to get an idea because i think the yak is a little bigger. I would like to have enough power for intermediate maneuvers and power for 3d. Thanks.

Chris
Old 12-02-2004, 10:26 AM
GRH

Default RE: hey george

Hey Chris...are you keeping Jon in-line?

My Harrier is electric and weighs about 8.5-9lb with the batteries. The Evolution 1.0 with an APC 15x4 prop would probably be pretty good on the Harrier. I've been meaning to pull the electric equipment out of it and try the Evo 1.0 in it but perhaps I'll just buy another one. I believe Chris Hinson has been flying his Yak with a YS-110. The 110 put out more power than the Evo 1.0 so I'm not sure how good it would be if the Yak is larger. For comparison if your airplane weighs 7-8 pounds the Evo 1.0 will most likely be a good choice. At 8.5 it's OK and much above that I think it would become marginal. I've only flown one Evo 1.0 and for the price they are hard to beat.

George
Old 12-02-2004, 04:49 PM
cleyland

Alright thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:16 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

I have an evo 1.00NX that I put in one of my Funtana .90s. I was running a 16x4 APC and the thing had all the mid end and high end you would want but lacked real low end power. Whenever I tried to hover it would just pull out. Now I have two Funtana 90s, and was going to try that same engine again but make the other airframe light as possible, would you think this engine is enough or should I just put a saito 100 in it? The stock muffler really bites on the evo 1.00 as I could never get the thing to stay on perfectly. I think if I use it again I will have a pipe made or something. I really like my funtanas, but I need to find a good cheap engine combo. Other than my funtanas I have my gas planes that I just love. Electrifying is an option, but I dont think its worth the money now. Would just like another opinion. I am sure that anyone who gets this engine will no doubt take off that limiting crap. Its nice and all, but I found I needed adjustments outside the range it allowed.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:00 PM
GRH

I'm currently building my Funtana 90 with an Evo 1.0. My flying buddy has this setup already and somedays the performance is really good and somedays it's not...I think we have an airleak in the carb or needle valve or a fuel flow problem. He's running the 15x5 and muffler that comes with the Evo. We've tried 30% nitro and it didn't seem to help much so we're back to 15%. I think if you can keep the airplane light and get the motor to run consistently it will be a potent, inexpensive setup. If not order a YS 110. I'll let you know how mine does when I get it flying. Hopefully I won't have to order the YS 110.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:05 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Any update on your FT 90 build? I still have my two FT 90’s; one fully assembled just hanging from the ceiling waiting to get an engine and servos. What servos do you recommend to remain light and yet strong enough for this plane? By the way I have read a lot of your articles in the electric foamie columns and they are very informative. I have two E flight Ultimates that I just love. In spite of having big gas planes, and hangar of glow planes, I love being able to fly that thing anywhere. The Army put a halt on my flying for most of January due to training so I am playing catch up now trying to fly as much as possible. I wish I had my E flight ultimate when I was deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq to keep me busy. Instead I just brought real flight to fly my planes in my off time.

Back to my original question, I think by replacing the stock wheel with lighter foam wheels, using CF landing gear, a CF wing tube and not using an aluminum spinner I should save a bunch in weight. Also Li-Po rx batteries should help with longer flight times. Lately I have been looking at putting my Roto 25 gas engine in this plane. I would have to re hinge everything with some robart pinned hinges I would think as the CA hinges probably would not hold up. Still have that EVO 1.00, but I think it might be cheaper to just to use a Saito 120 vs. investing in lightening the airframe a lot to accept the EVO 1.00. Any word on a pitts style muffler for that engine?

Thanks for all the patient answers to all hobbyists questions. I really enjoy the foamies you designed almost more than any of my other planes.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:50 PM
cleyland

I think the jr 4721's would be perfect for the 90. Maybe a 8231 or 8411 on the rudder and you should be set.