Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Brushless Mini Dragonfly Question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Brushless Mini Dragonfly Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 AM
boom3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Mini Dragonfly Question

Yesterday I stepped up and put on a Himax 2015-5400 and Pheonix 10 on my Mini Dragonfly. Flies great, tons of power. My questions is about the Phoenix 10 battery cutoff voltage. I have it set for 6V which is correct considering I am running a Tanic 2 cell 1550mah battery.

The only problem is you never really want to cutoff the main rotor motor on a fixed pitch helicopter, because it falls. The stock motor setup doesn't even have a voltage cut off, it just gets week as the battery discharges, and eventually stops flying. With the brushless setup, I'm pretty sure it will keep flying, possibly even below 6V.

My question is are you brushless guys setting you cutoff voltage for 5V or playing it safe and leaving it at 6V? Should I just set my timer and always land before I get down to 6V? What are you guys doing on yours?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26860.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	198622  
Old 12-02-2004, 11:41 AM
RCelectrichelinut

Default RE: Brushless Mini Dragonfly Question

I have the same setup. I just leave mine at 6 volts. I have only had it drop like a rock once and I knew I was pushing it. I can tell easy when mine gets near 6 volts because my 7.2 volt DD tail motor starts slowing and can't keep up with the brushless main motor anymore without major compensation.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:11 PM
boom3

Ya good call, no sense in screwing up good a good battery. I'll just figure out how long it actually goes then set my timer a few minutes less.

Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 PM
jfassino

Boom3

How did you set up your heli? I understand you are using a brushless for the main and a brushed for the tail. Are you using the stock gyro for the tail rotor? Is the speed controller for the main motor plugged into your receiver directly...not thru the stock gyro?

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Old 12-03-2004, 09:30 AM
boom3

Jim,

You are right about the setup. The stock mixer gyro board and tail motor are still used. You have to "Y" the battery, one for the phoenix 10 and one for the mixer gyro board. You also "Y" channel 3 on the receiver and connect one to the phoenix 10 and one to the mixer gyro board. I cut the red wire on the phoenix 10 that plugs channel 3 because the stock mixer gyro board is already regulating the voltage for the receiver. Pretty inexpensive and easy setup.

Good luck,

Boom3
Old 12-04-2004, 08:11 AM
RCelectrichelinut

I cut the red wire on the phoenix 10 that plugs channel 3 because the stock mixer gyro board is already regulating the voltage for the receiver.
I did not do this. I connected the red phoniex wire to the red on the throttle wire on my hummingbird mixing board.Should I disconnect it?
It seems to run fine but I do have a problem with arming sometimes. It will arm and then act like it has a dead battery. After many tests both my batteries are fine. It is when I plug in my setup to the battery . It arms fine then gives that dead battery symptom. I unplug the battery and plug it back in and it works great. Flies for 10 min easy. Sometimes I have to plug it in and unplug it a couple times. Very strange for sure and I have no clue why it would do this.