Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Lipo for the Dragonfly 22D

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Lipo for the Dragonfly 22D

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Foz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo for the Dragonfly 22D

What Lipo battery should I use with the Dragonfly 22D?
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Technito20

Default RE: Lipo for the Dragonfly 22D

You probably won't find a round shaped Li po like the NiMH that it comes with. The Thunder Power 2 cell 1320 mah and 2100 mah will give you long flight times. You'll have to modify the landing gear to get the battery to fit properly and balance the heli. This is what I had to use my Li Po batterys. It doesn't quite look as good, but hey.......I fly like 5 times longer than with the NiMH. I actually took out the original battery mount brackets and placed a 2x4 inch piece of plywood. I cut small grooves in each corner so that the landing gear will fit into it (Glue into place with CA thin). I left about an inch between the main spur gear and the plywood. And on the bottom of the plywood I placed a strip of velcro. And of course onto the battery. Now this has held up for me, if not you'll have to glue additional plywood blocks to the landing gear and using screws to attach them together.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:31 AM
R-Rudder

I use the Li-ion 11.1V battery. I believe it's a 800MAH since it doesn't have anything written on it. Make sure you place some cushions between the battery and the motor and the landing gear to absorb shock and prevent the heat from the motor getting to your battery. With Li-ion battery, the D22 hovers more stable than with the 9.6V NiMH. May be it's lighter. I love the Li-ion battery.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Foz

Thanks for your help guys. This will be my first helicopter. I see many replacement parts in the future.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:53 AM
RCelectrichelinut

I use a small piece of balsa wood to mount my lipos. Remove the old battery holder but keep the 2 long carbon fiber rods connected to the landing gear remove the RX mount (if it connects to these 2 rods). Now you have just the 2 rods sticking out the front of the copter.
Cut the balsa wood to the wanted size and drill 2 small holes right into the side of it the long way,make the holes as deep as the length of the carbon rods that are sticking out the front of the copter, careful to keep the drill centered so the bit never breaks through the balsa. If you make the holes just the right size(a little smaller than the carbon fiber rods) then you should be able to push the wood onto the rods and it will hold snug even without glue. I use a small piece of tape wrapped around the balsa and landing gear to make sure it doesn't slip off just in case. Now you mount you RX ontop and you lipo underneath. I wrap my lipos in foam and attach them with masking tape.