Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

help and thoughts on colco thunder pigeon

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

help and thoughts on colco thunder pigeon

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 12:51 AM
mbro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help and thoughts on colco thunder pigeon

HELP!
I just blessed myself with the purchase of a thunderbird. I've been 1 foot of the ground and been through a tale rotor, 2 main blades, and a main rotor hub which is out of stock for 3 weeks so I ordered one for the dragon fly (hope it works). I would have practiced on the computer with the simulation but I can't seem to get it to work ON FIVE DIFFRENT COMPUTERS! I keep getting the same crap "not reading transmitter". I've tried everything in the manual multipal x. has anyone had similar issues? Does anyone know of upgrades for this heli? I would like to replace weak parts with aluminum if possible maybe even a larger motor.
I turn to my fellow r/c ers becouse the customer support is nearly non existing for colco product. I've called and left messages w/no replies and got though 1 time to a rep. and he had the balls to ask me if I had put batteries in the remote! He barley spoke english and he was in no mood to want to help me.
I also have only like 2 minutes on a charge and then the rotor cuts out around half throttle. You cant get of the ground in 2 minutes. Is that a setup problem or or a defective battery/motor? I feel like I got screwed all around with this heli whoch I bought brand new and I'm hoping that it's just setup issues. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Mike[img]
Old 12-09-2004, 06:24 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help and thoughts on colco thunder pigeon

Are you using the stock NiMH batteries? With the stock wall wart charger? Both of those are marginal performers. The NiMH batter will get better with a few more cycles. They do not deliver the top capacity on the first several charges. Have you read [link=http://www.dream-models.com/h/flying-index.html]RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT?[/link] That would be a perfect way to use your batteries in the stae that they are in and build towards that better battery performance. Oh, it will also help you get through the learning curve with minimal damage.
A peak detecting battery charger would make your life easier.
Better yet, a LiPo charger and LiPo batteries.
Don't go for the bigger motor yet. You run the risk of frying the electronics. Use it stock first. Keep at it. Ask questions. Good luck! Let us know how you do.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 AM
RCelectrichelinut

I had similar issues when I first started on my dragonfly. Vince is right as soon as I got better batteries things got a whole lot better.They fly very poorly when voltage gets low and are very uncontrollable. Invest in batteries or a good charger first for sure.I have a dragonfly w/ brushless and many upgrades and a totally stock hummingbird. Neither flew well until I invested in 2 7.4v 2C lipos and charger. Now they both fly very nice. The stock hummingbird elite FP I have actually flies better than the dragonfly with brushless. Although the dragonfly is much more durable.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:53 AM
mbro

Any thoughts on the sim problem? I could use the practice.
P.S. thanks for the advise.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:53 PM
mok73ph

make sure that the tx is turned on first before you open the cd,,,this happened to me the first time,,lol