Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

The High Flyin' Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 01:38 PM
tperry2054
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The High Flyin' Guy

In another post, Jerry Bohn opined:

Snip > "I am assembling a Brodak ARF Cardinal, not real fond if its construction, but my mods will make it a good plane. Also > building a Brodak P-Oriental, nice kit. Flying my Barnstormer and gettin the OS LA 25, tuned in the summer makes it the Man, > for winter flying. I'm not real fond of the AMA, cost too much for a non-contest limited income dude like my self. At least it
> covers every body, maby not all equally, the C/L flying is handled on a % according to the C/L population.
> Enjoy fly and kick back men, we are in hobbies that are great. "

Jerry Bohn

Jerry,

What are you planning to power your new Cardinal and Oriental with? Or is it too early to tell? I plan on adding a few more planes to my collection over the winter. I'm thinking fairly large as I just picked up a couple of LA 46s to put in them. I picked up a few FP 20s and will be building something in the 300 - 360 square inch" range for the grand kids after they learn to fly the .049s.

Let us know how you are progressing from time to time.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Lee MRC

Default RE: The High Flyin' Guy

tperry, you may not like the AMA and I can sure relate to that but the flying sites in the Dallas all require membership, most likely for the insurance, and that may not be all bad. I wonder if your dislike is because of the magazine beeing devoted to contests?

I wish it were more inclined to the present flying trends and normal products.

I sure hope that I did not make you, are others, mad by expressing my questions or comments but I do wonder if others feel as I do?

Please excuse the spelling but I am from TEXAS

Fly the airplane first

Lee K5MRC
Old 01-10-2005, 12:16 PM
highflyinguy

Tom, The Cardinal is done and hanging on the wall with an OS.40fp on her. I did modify the motor mount by drilling thru the inside cheek and installing t nuts after reading about the supplied inserts pulling out after several flights. I think if I ever get another Brodak AFR, it will be a ARC, it would make it easier to do any modifications such as adding bracing to the fusulage open bays.
I have the Oriental profile wing almost done, just now putting on the cap strips on the wing. I am planning to put an OS.46LA on it as I thought it might be a bit heavier than the very light Cardinal. If the .46 is too much I have an OS.40LA and Woolard SilverFox.40. It will be easy to swap with the .46 as the mounting holes are the same as the .40LA and also the .40FP.
Right now the weather has been a lot more harsh than the past 5 years when we were in a draught condition. Now were getting a good amount of snow and cold, no melting between snows. Bad for flying but good for water supplies in the spring.
Jerry
Old 01-10-2005, 01:37 PM
tperry2054

Lee,

I haven't a clue why you mentioned me not liking the AMA. I'm not sure I ever mentioned it in a post.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 PM
tperry2054

Jerry,

I've been torn on whether to use the LA .40 or .46 on some of my planes. The .46 is lighter than the .40 and a little more powerful. The problem is you have to step up to .018 lines to be contest legal. What did you end up using for venturi and NVA on your .40 and .46? I'm sure you have them sealed no?

I'm looking for a second LA .25 to use on a twin of my own design. I may end up putting two Veco BB .19s on it though. I have the Vecos and I understand that now MECOA is bringing it out again. They will also be coming out with a new muffler for it and that’s why I hadn't planned on using them originally.

My daughter gave me a 12" 12 speed drill press for Christmas. I just finished assembling it over the weekend. Now I can't lift it to carry it out to the workshop. I am going to try to use the NVA out of some 40FP carbs and a nylon spacer with a .257 inside diameter to get some fuel into the LAs. Sort of like a dribbler.

Is the Barnstormer still doing well after the summers flying?

Well happy belated New Year Jerry.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Old 01-11-2005, 12:26 PM
highflyinguy

Tom, I am using the stock venturi on the .46 with a ST needle valve assy, I have yet to run the .40, I'm going to break it in on the bench with all stock equipment including the rear N/V.
The only change on all my OS LA engines .25, .40, .46 is to change out the back plate with a metal one. I have not had any sign of leaks, but as time goes by and I get some miles on the engines, I am worried about dissassembling them for cleaning purposes and the having a problem with the rear plate sealing.
Excuse me if I'm not real prompt at getting back to replying, but I'm learning to adjust to a new night job with the local school district. Firtst time I ever worked nights.
I have not flow in over a 1 1/2 months due to new job and weather, last flights of the Barnstormer were great, LA 25 still working wonderful.
Jerry
Old 01-12-2005, 02:21 PM
highflyinguy

Tom, Just a suggestion about the OS.46LA.
When I first got mine and ran it on the test stand to break it in, it was bare naked stock. I wanted to see how it ran on a plane without any mods and put it in a profile Force ( the one Mike Pratt published in Stunt News). It replaced an OS.40fp.
For several test flights, and playing around with the needle, it ran great in a wet 2 cycle. I was used to a 4-2-4 break, so I put the .40fp back in the plane.
After building the Barnstormer and playing around with the OS.25LA (remember that ordeal?)
I have been flying the Barnstormer in a wet 2 stroke (I think there is a very slight break) and I like it.
My sugestion, would be to try your .46LA stock and fly in the wet 2 stroke. I don't know if you have ever done that before or want to try it, but it sure saves putzing around with modiifications and I've grown to like it.
Try it Youll Like It, Jerry
Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 AM
Lee MRC

Tom if I misunderstood what I read, My most sincere appoligies to you and the readers of this thread. Please forgiveme if that is the case.

LEE K5MRC

P.S. At least in this forum we have the oportunites to correct any misinterupted verbage or misspoken comments without causing war--- thank YOUR god for that and again if I was in error sorry about that I will try to do better.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:17 AM
cltom

You misunderstood because Tom's post included a quote from Jerry Bohn. Jerry's quote included the passage about the AMA.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:57 AM
tperry2054

Lee,

No problem, I am not a big fan of AMA as it is very expensive for what I get out of it. The mag. isn't a big selling point for me as I am a control line flyer. I recognize the need for insurance but I am already covered through my household insurance. I believe that according to the AMA, the insurance I already carry must be used before the AMA's. I suppose I pay it to make the rest of the people around me to feel more comfortable. The mag. dosn't even have a secondary use for me in the outhouse as it is made with slick paper. I don't blame Jerry for not belonging, as the mag probably dosn't do him a lot of good either and he can fly without it. If Jerry ever wants to fly in a contest, I believe the CD can let him pay on the day of the contest.

To sum up; no not a big fan, just never mentioned it anywhere before. It may be a bargain for some just not me.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 AM
tperry2054

Jerry,

Bummer on the weather[&o] It was pretty decent here up till now. I am not used to temperatures in the teens. It looks as if it will be this way for at least the next week to ten days though. A few of the Virginia guys went to the King Peach and I understand it was pretty cold in Georgia too. I am building a modified Twister from scratch right now. I finished the wing. It will end up with a 60 inch span and be powered by either two LA .25s or two BB Veco .19's. If I can get the mufflers for the Vecos I will use them.

MECOA is re releasing the engine and you can read about them here:

http://www.modelengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1904

And theelmores have an engine test report here:

http://www.the.elmores.btinternet.co...19_bb_am0.html

I have several of these engines and one needs a crankshaft. They say they are going to carry spare parts for them and also a muffler. Looking good so far. This is the most powerful .19 I have ever seen.

I am taking Walt Williamson's plans for the Which-Away off the back burner and will probably start it soon.

If work permits, I want to go to Brodaks this June. Even if I don't compete I want to see it.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Old 01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
highflyinguy

CLtom. I did wind up joining the AMA last year (2004). I did not paticipate in any contests in 2004. As my local Library has a subscription to the AMA magazine and I fly by myself in a deserted and I mean deserted, outside of town (during the week) soccer complex, I can not justify the price of joining AMA this year, nothing against the AMA, just that the company I worked for for 26 years, went out of busniss, and I have had a futile time finding a job at 60 years of age. I did find a subtitute custodial job (no health benifits) at the local school district at $8.50hr. This is in comparison to the $26.00hr I was making as an automated machine repair technician at my last employeer. Therefore I am cutting cost drastically this year. If and when I feel I can afford joining the AMA again, I plan to do so even if I probably may only fly in the one and only, (my first contest as a beginner) in Denver.
Jerry bohn
Old 01-19-2005, 02:05 PM
highflyinguy

Tom, We have experienced colder than normal tempuatures in Colorado this winter, plus we are pulling out of a 5 year drought, normally if we get a few inches of snow its off the streets the next day and the fields in two. This year the fields barely melt and we get another couple inches of snow, a vicious no-flying cycle. The mountains are getting pelted with snow for the skiers, this is great for the much needed water suppy for the spring time.
What did you think of trying the OS.40LA stock before changing the N/V and venturi?
Take Care, Hope you can get in some flying, Jerry
Old 01-19-2005, 02:19 PM
tperry2054

Jerry,

I guess I forgot to mention that the LAs were all fitted with an RC carburator. It's ok for breaking them in but I need to make or buy a venturi to fly with. I understand from talking to some others that the RC carbs tend to throw fuel out when mounted sideways as on a profile.

Tight lines,

Tom
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 PM
2BFlying

highflyinguy
Wish you lived around here. We (my company) are looking for some Maintenance Technicians to fill some spots. The Japanese look for experience over having the pieces of paper, if you know what I mean. Excellent pay and benefits. Age doesn't matter. You sound like you would fit right in with our program. I'm getting ready to order a Twister from Virginia Hobbysport. Trying to find the time to build will be interesting. 10 and 12 hour workdays really cut into a guy's hobby time. But that's what weekends are for other than flying.
RWCherry
Sharpsburg KY
Old 01-21-2005, 08:09 PM
jehold66203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just lock the throttle to wide open. They do not throw fuel out any worse than standard U/C set up. In fact I have yet to see fuel coming out of venturi when engine is set right. DOC
Old 01-21-2005, 09:56 PM
tperry2054

Hey Doc,

If mounted vertical, what is the effect on tank position? Would it be different than with CL venturi setup?

Tight lines,

Tom
Old 01-23-2005, 03:32 PM
jehold66203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be no difference. Flying will only tell really. One of the guys did not beleive that I had a fuel tank lower than the center line of an Enya 35 until he seen it. I mean it dealt me fits until I went to lowering the tank. But, that is how you learn, try and fly. If it don't work try something else. -DOC

PS: I do have a 4 stroke on profile with throttle set to wide open. Seems to work okay, but, its a 4 stroke.
Old 01-29-2005, 04:12 PM
cltom

ORIGINAL: highflyinguy

CLtom. I did wind up joining the AMA last year (2004). I did not paticipate in any contests in 2004. As my local Library has a subscription to the AMA magazine and I fly by myself in a deserted and I mean deserted, outside of town (during the week) soccer complex, I can not justify the price of joining AMA this year, nothing against the AMA, just that the company I worked for for 26 years, went out of busniss, and I have had a futile time finding a job at 60 years of age. I did find a subtitute custodial job (no health benifits) at the local school district at $8.50hr. This is in comparison to the $26.00hr I was making as an automated machine repair technician at my last employeer. Therefore I am cutting cost drastically this year. If and when I feel I can afford joining the AMA again, I plan to do so even if I probably may only fly in the one and only, (my first contest as a beginner) in Denver.
Jerry bohn
Didn't mean to imply anything. The AMA is big enough and has been around long enough to have plenty of opinions either way. I was just trying to clarify that someone misinterpreted between who was quoted, and who made their own statements.

I have joined AMA and then let my membership lapse a half dozen times over the last 30+ years. I think it's kind of hard to justify flying model planes these days without the insurance. Whether that insurance is really something that can be counted on is anonther whole topic for discussion, but there's no alternative. (Although there have been alternatives start up and then disappear over the years.)