Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Control Line Conversions to RC

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Control Line Conversions to RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 01:22 AM
tonyveseth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Line Conversions to RC

Hello.

I have an older Super Chipmunk Control Line plane from when I was younger. Has anyone out there ever tried converting a control line plane to Radio Control? It currently runs a Fox 35. Is it simple? Can I save myself the trouble of not having to buy a new kit?

Help!

Tony Veseth
Whitefish, Montana
Old 12-15-2004, 03:41 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Control Line Conversions to RC

Yes, a UC can be converted to RC and has been done many times. In fact, the conversion of teh Sig Chipmunk was described in, I think, RCM many years ago. Just make sure the wings are equal length (some UCs have the right wing longer).

Paul
Old 12-15-2004, 11:35 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed in passing, a small electric RC, I think, where a bit of tipweight was added to counter act torgue.

Jim
Old 12-15-2004, 09:51 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few years ago I had a CL stunter that didn't live up to expectations so I fitted radio gear inside the pipe tunnel to hide it all (I used an RC non piped engine of course) and it flew beautifully even with the tip weight and lead outs still dangling. The radio gear added 14 ounces to the all up weight but it was still very light for an RC model. Too light to handle the stresses of a not so good landing
Old 12-16-2004, 08:39 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me sometime in the late 50s or early 60s one of the big names, either Willard or Winter ran an article in MAN about converting a Veco kit to single channel escapement, and put on demos where he would take off with a tether as though flying a CL, then contrive to "Accidently" drop the handle, whereupon the plane would be flown R/C. He used a second line of equal length on the outside wing to keep everything in balance. Just think, rudder only, nothing else, not even throttle.