Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Attack of the dust nibs!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Attack of the dust nibs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 04:37 AM
jettset99
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attack of the dust nibs!

Hi, I can't figure out how dust nibs are attacking my fresh paint !I dont understand why I get them sometimes and other times I dont? I always give my parts a good cleaning and hose down the shop before painting can someone let me know whats up... Thanks
Old 08-27-2002, 09:23 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

If your painting something that is not very important, they stay in their little homes. ..........
........But when the important project comes along, they all come out to see your handywork.

They love it so much they wanna' stay with it forever!!!!!!

SO they land...........leaving their little foot prints.

All you gotta do is sand'em off with 2000 grit paper and buff'em out.

OR............show 'em off to to all your friends, and tell'em how the little buggers love your handywork!

Sorry, I have tried for years to get 'em to stay away, but they allways come out of the woodwork.
Old 08-27-2002, 12:15 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You mean 2000 grit right Terry? I wouldnt touch your paint job with sandpaper less than 1200-1500, unless your repainting. my opinion.

Your hosing down your shop can make dust fly too, what works the best for me, set up everything, then leave for a while to let everything settle, even overnight would be best.

I found out the hard way on my mustang not to hose down the floor in the paint booth before painting.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:23 PM
aparchment

Default dust nibs

This is funny. I was just talking to a friend this weekend about what a pain dust can be.

I too paint in a garage and very rarely do I set up the night before, but when I do, dust is significantly reduced. If the night before you sweep, vac and generally clean, I think this helps. The problem is I don't usually want to do this just to spray a few parts. I think it would also help if I constructed a paint booth like Tod's. Perhaps over the winter I will tackle that.

Of course preparation must include clean paint equipment, clean paint surfaces and clean paint!

Antony
Old 08-27-2002, 01:50 PM
jettset99

Default Dust nibs

Ok ,today I will not hose down the shop and see if I can get a clean coat or two, Thanks!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:43 PM
JohnVH

do you use a tack rag also?

Good luck, it will work. Just try not to make alot of dust fly by moving stuff or sweeping.
Old 08-27-2002, 06:05 PM
jettset99

Default Dust nibs

Yes I used before tak rags, but paint reacted to left over wax, so I now use just a paper towel .I painted today I didnt sweep or hose and no Dust Nibs it must be the water that they dont like? Well that problem solved the only thing Im worried about is a lawsuit! due to the fact I copied a well known paint style....
Old 08-27-2002, 07:05 PM
Terry Holston

Default Re: Dust nibs

Originally posted by jettset99
snip> the only thing Im worried about is a lawsuit! due to the fact I copied a well known paint style....
Well, show us a picture so we can judge for ourselves!
Old 08-27-2002, 08:11 PM
JohnVH

There you go, what it is, is the water is raising the dust, goto a dry field and pour some water on it, itll raise dust.

Glad it worked for you!
Old 08-27-2002, 08:33 PM
rcs1313

Default paper towels

Jettset99,

I would bet some of those "dust nibs " are coming right from the paper towels you say you are using.

Every time that I have used paper towels, I have had a problem with fuzz, specs. dust or what have you.

Also, just the process of wiping the model down creates static electricity which acts as a magnet for airborne dust particles.

A little trick my paint and body brother showed me, is to use soft cotton, like a diaper, T shirt or the like, and wipe the model down with 99% isopropyl alcohol--not the 70% blend, as it is cut with oils. This helps to get rid of the static electricity charge, some what the same as putting a Bounce sheet in the clothes dryer.

He also told me to load up a paint gun with this same alcohol and spray it into the air prior to bringing the model out to paint. It is suppose to help remove the static charge in the air space and by doing that the dust particles will fall to the ground . He also suggested lightly spraying your clothes as they also are great dust carriers.

I have done all this and it seems to help....but then there is those pesky little gnats and skeeters to deal with !!!! I painted a wing once and really had a perfect coat of paint on it, went in to have a cup of coffee and bingo......a big ole June bug decides this is the only runway in the whole neighborhood to land on......and so it goes....get rid of one problem and have another.....

One of the Salt Lake jet guys, uses a shower cap and Bounce dryer cloths to put over his turbine on his Hotspot. The Bounce cloth absorbs the oder of Jet A......
Old 08-28-2002, 12:00 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dust Nibs

Paper towels are the worst thing to wipe down an area prior to painting. Always use a tack cloth. These are saturated with a type of resin---not wax. Do not press too hard, though---you could transfer some of the resin to the model. Use fresh tack cloths purchased at an automotive paint and supply store. The fresh ones are more pliable and work better.
Never use newspaper to mask a model off. This, too, will not only contribute to the dust nib problem but can ruin a paint job due to how thin the paper is as well as the potential holes in the newspaper allowing overspray through. Use automotive masking paper---it is dust free and solvent resistant.
When hosing down the floor prior to painting, let the water flow gently from the hose with the hose on the floor. No splashing!!! Do not spray using a nozzle or you will stir up dust as some have found. Sweeping the floor down the night before is best. Even in the best of paint booths you can still get a few dust nibs. Just wet sand with 2000 and buff.
I once had a moth get into my paint area. This little guy decided to do a little dance all over the model, leaving that "wing dust" all over it!!! He finally got stuck to the wing. When I pulled him off his body came away OK but all of his legs were buried in the paint. The model buffed out really well, though. Kevin
Old 08-28-2002, 03:06 AM
jettset99

Default Dust nibs

Ok all went well no dust nibs, tomorrow I will tackle the CLEAR COAT. I have had no problems using paper towels, I also like to use plain filtered water to clean the plane down,I have tried the auto motive tax rags and had fish eyes every were from them, so I dont like them, I also tried some prep cleaner that I got from a automotive supply house it left some spots, I might try it again. I have tried achol also but got some fish eyes also from it, so Im very careful on what to use! I will post some pics as soon as I finnish the spot!
Old 08-28-2002, 03:13 AM
JohnVH

Good to hear, FWIW, I use tack rags on everything and also auto body wax and grease remover a couple times before painting.

Good luck! lets see some pics when your done.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:20 AM
DavidR

If you are using PPG paints they make a cleaner/degreaser DX 330 that is a great surface prep to use prior to painting any colors or clearcoat.

DR
Old 08-31-2002, 09:42 PM
jettset99

Default Hot spot

Well finnished just waiting for Jet Cat to get My Motor in!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	23846_2436.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	14474  
Old 08-31-2002, 09:55 PM
JohnVH

Looks great!
Old 08-31-2002, 10:43 PM
aparchment

Default nice job

Great job on the paint scheme. I love when people use curves instead of straight lines in a paint jobs.

By the way, what is that devil machine doing hanging over a perfectly good jet ;-) Jes kiddin'!

Antony