Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

2 Gears meshing.....at the same time..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

2 Gears meshing.....at the same time..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 04:10 PM
DT10boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Gears meshing.....at the same time..

Hey there, I bought a ACME 1/10 Nitro Buggy, and its gererally the same as those Smartek buggies... But it has 2 speed.

Basically, the clutch bell has 2 pinions on it, both mesh with 2 spur gears... at the same time...

So how do I know if it's changing gear?

It seems like it has a sudden burst of speed when it gets close to max RPM... but no drop in RPM...

Any help is appeciated!

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2005, 06:06 PM
Willbert

Default RE: 2 Gears meshing.....at the same time..

Hello. I also have one of these machines. The two speed will shift gears when the gears are turning at a certain speed. It works similar to a centrifugal clutch. There is a clutch inside the gear mechanism. If you look at the manual which came with the car, it shows how the gear assembly is put together. The way it is built makes it clearer to understand.
There is a small hex screw you can adjust which determines at what speed the gears will change so you can adjust it if the car is not changing quick enough. Only make small changes at a time but (like 1/8 1/4 turns at a time).

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:27 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

Good question!

First time I saw that I also said... what the hell is this!!!!

Makes absolutely no sense when you first look at it!
But.. the trick is that only ONE PAIR of the gears are engaged at any point in time!
So when the car actually shifts.. the pin physically moves from one set to another and the other two are "freewheeling".

Ram
Old 01-13-2005, 08:20 AM
lightningtwo

Are you talking about the condor? I have had one before...

Nothing but trouble...