Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Midwest Extra & ZDZ40

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 06:25 AM
oceandiv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Extra & ZDZ40

I am wondering if any of you might have seen the Midwest Extra and a ZDZ40 set up. If so how did it perform. I am only curious about this paticular set-up.
Old 12-20-2001, 02:40 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Saw your post in engines.....

I'm building the MW 27%Extra and have the BME 50 for it. I had some info on a few guys that had the ZDZ40 and there seemed to be a wide variance of likes and dislikes, if the plane is built light the sensus that I got is that there are several different lightweight performance engines that will serve excellent. The plane must be light as can be though.
I wish I had the info from my other computer at hand here, in transition with it though, as I have several contacts about the plane, and I know some have what your looking for.
Keep looking here, as well as FL, and even that other place if you can get through to it, there is literally pages of info on building techniques, power, flight, etc... very popular plane.
If you own one you know why, if your thinking about it, get it. I'm really enjoying mine, and all the research I've done on it is paying off big now.
I will try to locate what I may have to further your research on the EXTRA/ZDZ combo.
Regards, Dale
AKA DGrant
AKA LordVader99
Old 12-21-2001, 02:07 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the Midwest Extra and Cap are -for all purposes of figuring power --identical.
I have built flown both -in various configurations - a lot.
the ZDZ40 will pull the plane easily -vertically -up to 15 lbs with no tuned system -on a tuned system -up to 16.5 lbs.
The BUT- is - the plane flies best at 13-14 lbs so watch your construction techniques-
Our original lightly modified Extra weighed 13 lbs-with a tuned can on a K&B 150 turning a 18x8 APC at 9300 rpm.
at 2000 ft altitude -it was a stunner
at 4500 ft - good but noticeably down on needed thrust.
Whatever engine you select - get one which likes 22x8-22x10 props.-6000-7000 rpm is fine
there is a real difference in how they pull with the bigger props.
Old 12-22-2001, 02:38 AM
oceandiv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What modifications were made and how did you do them?
Old 12-22-2001, 12:37 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mods- I did the plane twice - and first time used the kit wing - but substituted all hardwood with balsa and extended center sheeting-
second one - I used all foam cores for wing/tailgroups -
The kit is very nice - .By substituting the foredeck and turtle deck with 3/32 balsa sheeting and a framework -you also save weight- If you are not a builder -now is the time to learn skills on these basic items.