Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Inverted Engine Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Inverted Engine Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:25 PM
IShootSharpStix
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inverted Engine Mounting

I am in the process of building a Vectorflight 66" Extra 300S. I will be powering the model with a Saito FA-100. I have other models with engines mounted in the upright and horizontal positions, but have never used an inverted setup. I want to minimize cowl carving or at least hide it as best as I can. What do I need to be aware of, consider, or plan for if I choose to mount inverted? This would apply to setup as well as tuning and operation. Also, any ideas on where I can pick up a Pitts style muffler for the FA-100?. Slimline seems to have put them "out of production'. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2005, 01:47 PM
bbbair

Default RE: Inverted Engine Mounting

This is a recurring question, have a look at some previous answers at this link;

http://mbz.portage.net/cgi-bin/yabb/...num=1097277873
Old 01-04-2005, 02:04 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a couple of planes with inverted engines and I would recommend a 'remote glow' set up if you have a cowl. This will allow you to attach the glow plug ignitor in a convenient place, rather than trying to stand on your head to attach it. I have a U-Can-Do 46 with a Saito 72 in it inverted and it runs great. Just watch out for hydro lock, although it is less likely on a 4 stroke than a 2 stroke.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
campbec

Hi,

The FA-100 Saito will run perfectly inverted once set up. I use 10% nitro for a very reliable idle. I would suggest you do your initial set up on the bench if changing from vertical. From memory all mine neede was a minute adjustment on the idle mix. Don't forget to let it idle for twenty/thirty seconds before testing the throttle response.

Good Luck,

Colin
Old 01-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

There are several threads on the Vectorflight planes that will help you with your build. A few of us with the VF Edge 540 are running inverted Saitos with no problems. Mine is a Saito 120, inverted, and it runs like a stripped ape!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:35 PM
IShootSharpStix

Thanks for the ideas guys. I guess I am focused on the setup considerations right now, and I believe all I need to do is mount the tank at a height that ensures that when the tank is full, the level of fuel is above the carb - right? Also, for those using a cowl, how do you handle overflow when fueling? I remove the pressure line from the muffler to catch any overflow but this seems impractical with a cowl? I will be using a remote glow setup and the engine is already run in and tuned. It is coming out of a H9 US 60, which will now need a new engine. The FA-100 completely overpowers that plane. Thanks again.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Install the tank to that the center of it is in line with, or slightly above the carb. Overflow on an inverted Satio can run straight out the muffler with no problems. Check out the Vectorflight Edge 540 build in the "ARF or RTF" forum. The 100 should be a great match for the 66" VF Extra.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:56 PM
IShootSharpStix

I've been following the Vectorflight Edge 540 build thread quite closely as Gary and I ordered at the same time and communicated several times during the shipping delay. He did a great job with his Edge, but man he builds fast!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:28 AM
msu68stang
My Feedback: (7)

As far as your slimlne muffler if it's anything like the one i just got for my 91 it's hard to find but they are still making them. Horizon says they are out till Mid Jan. I bought mine from a hobby shop on my way home for christmas and had them ship it to me. IT was actually cheaper there than from horizon.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:22 PM
manofsteel
My Feedback: (2)

[&o] On my U CAN DO, I use an inverted Magnun 91 and it flies great, but there is one problem of fuel leaking thru the exhaust until it burns down a little. Since it was an ARF, there was nothing Icould do about the location of the tanks. Like I said, an inverted engine is no problem.