Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Question about rudder trim on Kyosho M24

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Question about rudder trim on Kyosho M24

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:09 PM
sleddogn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rudder trim on Kyosho M24

Hello everyone,
this is my first post here, so go easy on me.
I have a question about my new Kyosho M24 electric helicopter. I just completed my first attemept at flight and was curious about the rudder control in particular. I was noticing that when powering up the copter, it has a tendency to have the nose going left. I then give more power, and when it starts to lift off i have to place my rudder stick almost all the way to the right to correct it as best as i can tell. I can then adjust the rudder trim all the way to the right, and then i only have to move the rudder stick about half way to the right to just about get it stable. I am wondering how much stick movement on the rudder is normal to keep the copter hovering in place. Do i need to do some servo arm adjustment or something to have it not want to spin so much in that direction. Thanks for any help on this subject, sleddogn
Old 01-05-2005, 11:39 PM
rh2

Default RE: Question about rudder trim on Kyosho M24

Start by checking the gear mess on the tail rotor motor.

Make sure is spins freely.

If you can't get it trimed out there are 2 screws on the side of the receiver (you have to remove a small piece of black tape to get at them). Try making SMALL adjustment, they are throttle to tail mix and gyro.

Also the tail motor will only last a few flights (buy lots more) Every time a tail motor is about to die I have to hold lots of stick pressure. Also if you are just learning to fly order extra pinion gears for the main motor - they strip VERY easily. You can also try the pinion for the !QUOT!MS Hornet!QUOT! helicopter (plastic one) I guess that is better - doesn't break as easily.

I've had my M24 on 14 flights and replaced the tail motor twice now...
I am looking for a better motor.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:34 PM
sleddogn

Thanks rh2,
I really appreciate your response. I have read every post i could find on this heli before i got it, so i knew what some people had thought about it going in. I've only flown it 3 times so far, and the second and third flights were dramticially better as far as the tail motor giving better response to the stick. I'm guessing that it just needed to be run and broken in a bit. I've already ordered some new 3cell 11.1v poly batteries to replace the old one, and am waiting for the new aluminum motor mount/heatsink to be released to help disperse the extra heat from the batteries and am going to put a diode on the tail motor to help reduce the voltage by about 1 volt to help not burn it out prematurely. I am waiting on the tail motor to be available at tower, and have already ordered 7 packs of the pinions, and 1 new spare main motor. Let me know if you find a viable tail motor replacement that gives better performance, thanks again for the help and not another " the m24 sucks reply", i do believe that with a little love and some better parts, this will be the coolest looking, decent flying indoor heli out there, short of doing some custom work to other heli's, sleddogn
Old 01-06-2005, 07:00 PM
rh2

Greetings Sleddogn,

What diode will you put on the tail motor to reduce the voltage? (Make / model / where do I get it?)

I have flown the M24 with a 3 cell 11.1v pack - burned up the tail motor in less than 1 flight.

You can get tail motors from www.helihobby.com Part# HH101 $8.99 each. You will have to put the pinion gear on from your stock motor.

A great tool for pulling the gears is Micro Pinion Puller $13.99 www.helihobby.com part # GWS-GP-MICRO (on the hand tools page towards the bottom)

A nice heat sink for the tail motor is $1.75 part# HH316. For the main motor heat sink try CNE061 $5.90 (available on the helihobby website)

(No ... I don't work for Helihobby - just found some parts there)

Also remember the 3 cell li-po pack will be lighter than orginal battery pack, you may want to add some weight up front, the heli will need some forward trim if you don't add weight.

I have 6 helicopters - JR Z230 gasser, JR Ventrue, Century Bell 222, M24, 2- HeliMax Rotofly (oh and a T-rex450x on the way) all flying on a Futuba 9Z heli radio - they all have good points and bad points.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:37 PM
sleddogn

Here is a link to a french guys website that i got a lot of info on some mods from, use the google translator to translate the text on the page to english, he shows using a 1000v/1a diode on the tailmotor, and a couple other cool things he does. I e-mailed him as to the prolonged effect of his mods, and he is still having good results, there are good photos, and a couple of videos of him flying after the mods are done, hope this helps. As to the diode, it is an 1N4007, can get from digikey, or mouser, or maybe radioshack.

Link : http://uscaero77.free.fr/_helico/epm24/
Old 01-12-2005, 12:30 PM
rh2

Thanks sleddogn!

Checked out the website - got a diode for the tail motor. Two flights later it died (tail motor).... now the tower hobbies web site says "Late Feb" for replacement tail motors.... that's a month and a half wait for what should be a standard replacement part.

Good news - the T-Rex 450X arrived, built it, flys very nice! I think this will make a great indoor heli.

Thanks again for the help -
Old 01-12-2005, 05:41 PM
sleddogn

Yea,
i too noticed that tower won't have them for a while. If anyone knows where there are some tail motors in stock, please post it for us, would like to buy about 10 of them. Sleddogn