Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Building a 1988 Byron P-51, got some queations for anyone who may have built same.

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Building a 1988 Byron P-51, got some queations for anyone who may have built same.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 10:11 PM
fulrcflyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 1988 Byron P-51, got some queations for anyone who may have built same.

[8D] This kit came with the motor installed with gear reduction and a 24" prop. All retracts,hardware, tires, rivet and panel line fiberglass fuse and hollow foam core wings are supplied. It is the delux kit. I have queations regarding strenthining the wings with glass since the retracts will take out a huge area of wing to insert a plastic retract pocket. The instructions don't tell you any thing since they were written to build the next generation version that had glass wing roots that allowed you to set the retracts as part of the body instead of having a fully removeable wing as this version is. What do I do???
Old 01-05-2005, 11:51 PM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Building a 1988 Byron P-51, got some queations for anyone who may have built same.

There is quite a detailed sequence in building the one piece wing, there are some small plastic pieces that go in the round indentations and there are light ply pieces that partialy sheet areas, you glass them too if that is the finish you want and you do. I have a new version mid construction. Pete, (doolittleraider) has the older version and if I can get his instuctions I might be able to scan them for you.
Good Luck
Paul
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 AM
rongreg13
My Feedback: (129)

Default RE: Building a 1988 Byron P-51, got some queations for anyone who may have built same.

Try Iron Bay as well for a copy of the 1-piece wing instructions. I think they are $15 for a new manual with all drawings and parts list. I have both versions of the plane and they have totally different instruction manuals. The single piece wing version does not lack in strength at all compared to the plug in wing plane and other than the inconvenience of carting around the big wing, I prefer the flying characteristics and the ease of access to the fuselage of the single piece wing version of the plane. The wing is glassed, with multiple layers at the center section and will be plenty strong even with the section cut out for the landing gear trays.