Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Trex 450X buying tips

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Trex 450X buying tips

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Sentra180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trex 450X buying tips

Hi Guys,

I'm a heli newbie. I do have a dragon fly fixed pitch that I am praticing on. All I can say is this indoor heli is kinda good to learn on, but will not fly outside as a bit of wind tips it off course.

I'm looking into purchasing my first CCPM and this would be the TRex. I would like some recommendations as to what type of brushless, ESCs, servos, gyro, and batteries that would work great. Currently, the local hobby shops is offering me a TRex 450X combined with Align 400L BRushless and Align brushless 25amp esc?

Things I'm thinking of getting for this project:
* Electron 6
* Futaba Gyro 401 (If my budget permits)
* Hitec HS-50s and HS-56

Your comments on the package offered and other recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sentra180
Old 01-09-2005, 08:49 PM
MASTER YODA
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Trex 450X buying tips

Everything that your local store is offering sounds good. The gy401 is an excellent gyro i use one in my raptor 50 and the performance is flawless. One more thing you should note is that the trex is not ccpm. It is a full function collective heli, but it dose not incorporate ccpm mixing. This type of swash plate requires a ccpm capable computer radio. This mixing uses three servos that work in unison to perform both collective and cyclic commands. Good luck with the Trex!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:51 PM
MASTER YODA
My Feedback: (10)

The thunder power 2100 mah lipos seem to be the hot set up for batteries for the hoguns and trexs.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:59 PM
tanasit

The stock Align 400 power can only be appreciated when combined with good battery and I strongly suggest: Apogee 2170 mAH, new 15C Kokam 2000 mAH or Thunder Power generation II 2100 mAH.
Get the best servo for the pitch because it has to handle the most strength required for the massive linkage, lever, bar to raise the swash plate. I already stripped the gears on my 2 servos (Align stock and GWS BB Naro) so now I use the Hitec 55 and have the 56 as the back up.
You can set it as CCPM but require CCPM CF frame, which will reduce many stock parts (weight loss is a plus) but you will also need to get the CCPM swash plate and the heli TX that is capable of that feature.
Stock wooden blades works great but I never tried the plastic ones because Align is coming out with the CF blades for around $20 a set!
If you plan to fly 3D, then you may want to read the other post at RC group because you may have to modify the frame before put them together.
Also check http://www.trextuning.com/ for tips.
The GY401 is a bit tricky to setup but works great. 240 is similar with less feature but more than enough.
More CNC aluminum parts are go the way but with $$$, for example the whole new CNC rotor head may cost as much, if not more than the whole T-Rex kit!!
Old 01-13-2005, 08:15 PM
Sentra180

I just got myself a 401 gyro.

I'm still saving up for a few things:
HS56 (3)
HS50 (1) for tail rotor

Mega 16/15/3 and CC Pheonix 25 <---- I need to know what pinion to use? Any comments and suggestions on the motor/esc set up will be greatly appreciated.

I'd go with the li-poly batts you recommend. I'm also shopping for a good charger. My local store recommends Swallow or Power Balance, feedback on these please..

Thanks!

Regards,

Sentra180
Old 01-13-2005, 09:27 PM
disguy2k

The swallow is definetly the way to go.. Awesome value for money, and will charge virtually anything
Old 01-13-2005, 09:58 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sentra180
I just got myself a 401 gyro.
Check
HS56 (3)
HS50 (1) for tail rotor
Check
Mega 16/15/3 and CC Pheonix 25
Hold the phone! I think that with the 16/15/3 and 3 cell LiPo, you are going to be pulling more amps than the P25 is happy with. Most people recommend the CC35 for that reason.
I'm also shopping for a good charger.
I went through allerc.com and got their $50 1-4cell 2500mAh LiPo charger. I already have a 3 cell LiPo charger, but it is for the tiny stuff, and I don't wnat to wait 7 hours for it to do my T-Rex packs!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Sentra180

Thank you guys for your helpful reply..

By the way, I'm a newbie to heli. I simply wanted these coz I wouldn't want to keep upgrading. It would easier to get them early.

Vince,

Are you also flying a TRex? I don't plan on going on 3D as soon as I pass the basics.. I'm still be learning the basics (hahaha).. As I've said the only heli experience I have is from the Dragonfly which doesn't fly well as it is very sensitive to mild wind..

What would be the best match for a CC 25, capable of doing 3D?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:29 AM
dgoss

I think the common wisdom on the trex is a CC 35 ESC. The Shoguns are all setup with 25's and I think they are right on the edge, mostly because the current limit on the BEC (1.5A?) - it is "officially" rated at three servos and when you add the fourth plus a 401 gyro you're getting closer. All is well until you figure the TREX with it's 600g AUW is going to stronger motors than the Shogun for the same performance. Hence the 2100mAh batts and people hitting the top of their 25A ESCs. Go 35A and don't worry about it. When you want to get crazy and can do it get a carbon frame that will be available then with eCPPM. Just make sure that the TX you buy now is CCPM capable (120 degrees) so that you can use it down the line. When you're ready that mod will be available and you'll be able to loose 100g in the process if it's a lighter frame + the loss of parts with CCPM.

d.