Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New: Question

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New: Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 10:34 AM
fartdragon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New: Question

I'm currently doing Nitro cars but man...i wanna start in planes now..and i've got a couple of questions

Is it possible to fly by my own??
how long must a runway be in order for a take off?
Is this plane good for beginners?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXHU97&P=0

I'm really into commercial planes ehehhe please post some links if u have more of those planes.

ANd please if anybody is in Hong Kong please send me a PM
Old 09-03-2002, 10:37 AM
fartdragon

is that Douglas plane durable??

btw or would u guys reccommend me to helicopters instead?? cause where i live..there's not much of a runway or space
Old 09-03-2002, 12:08 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default flying

have ya tried a flightsim yet?...realflight is a good one. also it is highly recommended by all i am sure to not start out alone...unless ya have lots of money and time. yur guaranteed a crash if ya have no exp. IMO.........-tinman-
Old 09-03-2002, 01:37 PM
Slocum

Default Answers

Is it possible to fly by my own??

Possible, yes, recomended or likely NO! Go to a club and use an instructor they are often free and will save you a lot of money and frustration.

how long must a runway be in order for a take off?

The runway depends on the airplane. I have birds that use 3 feet to 200 feet. The problem is usualy over flight. You don't want to fly over people and that takes a lot of space.

Is this plane good for beginners?

NO, NO, NO! Use a trainer This is much more like it. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXK967**&P=0 The twin you linked to is more like a third or fourth plane

In short go to a club and talk to someone. Most clubs will love to help.
Old 09-03-2002, 02:41 PM
fartdragon

WOW radio included??
can i use that for the future?
Old 09-03-2002, 02:48 PM
fartdragon

i was think of this too:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...70P?I=GPMA1042

would like plane be any good?? i'm totally new..i don't like the look of a trainer... but pls post some of ur ideas
Old 09-03-2002, 04:33 PM
mgmoore7
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by fartdragon
i was think of this too:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...70P?I=GPMA1042

would like plane be any good?? i'm totally new..i don't like the look of a trainer... but pls post some of ur ideas
It is better that you get used to not liking it anyway. Most likely your first plane will get beat up really bad anyway and it won't look good anyway. The purpose is to have a plane that gives you the best chance of successfully flying and this is even so much more important if you are going to try to do this without an instructor. The link to the plane above is the type of plane that you should get.

The plane you just posted a link for is more like a 3rd plane. The commercial plane that you first posted is a ways down the line. You will need to get really good at using all 4 controls (Aielron, Rudder, Throttle, Evelvator) before you can venture into a plane with two engines. What if one dies, which will most likely occur. Then you are going to have a significant yall to compensate for by using your rudder and ailerons at the same time just to keep it straight and level then you will have to land it.

Helicopters are much more difficult than planes.

I would suggest that you find a local flying club and they can help you get started and they will have a field that you can fly at with an adequite runway. The runway length required for a trainer is probaly between 50' & 100' but that is front start to liftoff or vise versa on landing. You need much more than that for the approach, roll-out or overshooting the landing point, etc. This also depends on the plane and the size of engine that it has. Anyway, you need a large area to fly one of these planes. Maybe you should look at some of the smaller electric planes that can be flown in an area the size of a baseball or football field or smaller.

As suggested earlier, you should look into getting a simulator for practice. If you are going to learn on your own, this may save you from a disasterous crash within seconds of your first takeoff.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:58 PM
Slocum

Trainers look dorky but they do the job. You don't use a Corvette to move your house. On the radio they would it would be something that you could move to another plane when you are done with the trainer. Depending on the plane the engine could be used also.

On choppers don't even spend dollar one on one until you can fly a simulator like G2!
Old 09-03-2002, 07:22 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trainer...

A trainer plane and instructor is a MUST! You can learn alot from a flightsim as well but there in NO substitute for the real thing.
A trainer is a tool used to teach you to fly. You may go through more than one of them depending on you and your instructor(who screws up first) before you solo and move on to a low wing plane with more performance.
In any case, these are the learning steps on the way to your Mustang, Spitfire or B-17 and in some cases your F-86 or Rafel. Before you can fly one of these you must first learn to FLY.

After your first attempt fo fly without help your user name "fart dragon" would become "brain fart"

If your looking for a "RTF" ready to fly plane Hangar 9 has two on the market both with JR radios installed engines included.
Just charge, fuel and fly, after your instructor inspects it of course. It's also alot easer on everyone including yourself if you have your own buddy box and cord.
Sheldonshobbies.com has the RCM Trainer with a Magnum 40 engine included for $139.00
They also have the two H-9 RTF planes as well, I think their in the neighborhood of $310.00.
Old 09-03-2002, 07:46 PM
skyman-RCU

Default New Pilot also

Listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about. The GP Sportster is definitely not a trainer. I kinda went inbetween and got a Hanger 9 Ultra Stick 60. More advanced than a trainer, but high wing and stable. It won't self correct like a trainer but then again you want to learn to fly, right. Definitely get someone to help. Buddy box is very handy. I also go the GP Realflight simulator and even with the trainer programmed, I was crashing every 10 seconds for the first hour or so. With the aid of an instructor and many hours on the Realflight simulator, I soloed on my tenth flight. Give yourself the best chance of success and take some advice from these guys who've been doing it for years. BTW, I only learned to fly a month or so ago. Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:17 PM
OUTCAST

If your going to teach yourself to fly.......stick with cars, in the long run it will be cheaper, less frustrating and safer for thoes standing around you. If you want to learn to fly, find a local club, you will get all the help you need and may even get some stick time before you decide what plane to buy.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:15 PM
Slocum

Default Final thought

You might want to look at it this way.

With a car when you make a mistake you hit a curb and roll over. Then you walk over turn it right side up and drive until you hit the other curb. Repeat.

With an airplane when you make a mistake, and you are lucky, you crash into the ground and destroy your airplane. Then if you are good you can spend a couple of days/weeks fixing your airplane.

If you are not lucky on the way to the ground the airplane hits your five year old neigbor kid. No mater how much you hate the snot nosed brat it ruins your life.

Get a good trainer and instructor.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:23 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

While it is not recommended, it is possible to learn how to fly on your own. I did 3 years ago and I still fly my trainer these days.

I looked at it like this.........When modeling first came about, someone had to be the first, and being the first where do you go to get help?..........Talk to people that fly and get an understanding of what happens when you move the sticks. The most important thing to KNOW is that it only takes "little" movements.

With all that being said........there is a good chance that you could save yourself some money if you get help. Don't be too proud to ask for help. Only do it on your own if you have the knowledge/understanding of flight and confidence in yourself.

Jeff