Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Somethin' Extra CG

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Somethin' Extra CG

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
tman0258
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somethin' Extra CG

I'm running a SIG Something Extra with an O.S. 50 SX and I'm contemplating how to move the battery pack behind the fuselage for CG purposes. It's either move the pack or add weight to the rear. Keep in mind that this is to put the CG at beginner-based spot according to the instructions. For maneuverability, I would even have to go farther back. I've already installed the servos and would rather not take them back out, so would it be such a terrible idea to cut a rectangular hole in the rear fuselage, insert the battery then repair. Even if I do decide to remove the servos for underneath clearance, I can't reach under the servo tray enough to get to the back of the fuselage to mount the battery. Any ideas? Also, the plane hasn't been off the ground yet and this is my first non-trainer - any suggestions as to what to expect, etc. would be really cool. Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 10:04 PM
ukrconsul
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Somethin' Extra CG

It is very unlikely that you need to move your battery back.

The CG has to be right on the middle of wing tube.

For first flight I would recommend low rates (even 70-80% of low rates as per manual on ailerons) and 30 % expo on everything.

I don’t think it is a good second plane despite that many people here do recommend this plane as second one. It flies not bad and lands itself (but it will not teach you how to lend), you will have to fly it all the time and make small corrections continuously through every maneuver, in particular - in windy conditions.
It is small so don’t fly it too far.

And to find a friend who will trim it for you is a MUST.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:51 PM
SearchMan

I have a Saito 72 on mine (awesome!) and cut a hole in the belly of the tail. See picture. You'll love this plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60377.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	223722  
Old 02-01-2005, 09:17 PM
powerlines

Do what I did and put the servos in the tail and that will give you better control and more tail weight..

Love it now!

LATER