Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Shipping ideas to Alberta, Canada

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Shipping ideas to Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Bobman
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping ideas to Alberta, Canada

Hello all,

Any great ideas on how to ship a jet to Edmonton, Alberta from New York? Just checked with Greyhound and they don't appear to do any "cross border" package shipping, so that means I'd have to drive it into Canada thru customs & ship from there. Forward Air doesn't list a location in Alberta either. Suggestions? (other than a looonnnggggg car ride )

Thanks!

Bob
Old 02-02-2005, 10:01 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Shipping ideas to Alberta, Canada

I ship a lot on ebay and always use USPS. Canada is a little more, especially if it get a little heavy. I have never lost a package in over 800 transaction. Had one returned twice from Italy so I warn Italian customers "its at your risk". UPS is always more and I hear they try not to honor their insurance. They really get expensive when the package is large, like 200.00 to Portugal for 6 pounds. Pack it with a lot of styrofoam and maybe make a craddle inside the box. Hope this helps. Dave
Old 02-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The cheapest way would be to drive up to St Catherines, Ont, and put it on Greyhound. Other than that maybe fedex ground or look for a LTL trucking company....Don't even think of using the brown guys.

It will be good to see another jet flyer in the neighborhood...I wonder who it is?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

After my last Fedex ground experience, I wouldn't use them either. They screwed up bad on a package I shipped to Pa, they smashed it, after they were a week late delivering, won't pay a claim, and STILL charged me not only shipping, but charged me AND my customer the broker fee. UPS sucks, but they did manage to get my bandit here in one piece, not that it came directly here, they had to drive it all over north america first LOL.
DHL seems to be doing ok, but the problem with all the companies now is size restrictions. If it's a jet then USPS probably won't take it due to size. Driving it across the border and then shipping from Canada would be easier. If that doesn't work then perhaps shipping to say somewhere in Montana and having him pick it up (although it's about an 8 hour drive from Edmonton to the border, I'm about 6 hours, still a long haul though.)
Old 02-03-2005, 10:00 AM
rcav8tr

Hi Nony

He'd only have to drive to Niagara Falls. I've PM'd Bob with some info.

Ed
Old 02-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Bobman

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Ed, I'll get hold of you if the sale happens. I can drive it across the border no problem, just may need some advice in doing the customs paperwork required. Sure wish our country would just annex you guys up there so we wouldn't have to deal with things like this. Besides, it would make getting the GOOD beer easier!

Bob
Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks, Ed...Map Quest only showed St Catherines across from Buffalo....that plus I read his home town as Elmira, not Elma, so I was looking at a large scale map to get them both to fit...

Hope it all works out.....
Old 02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
RC JET FLYER
My Feedback: (42)

Hey Bob,

Can you say "Road trip" !!!!!!!

Let me know when you're going...We'll stop and get a drink on the way back. Don't forget to bring lots of one dollars bills..

Steven
Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

If you are going to drive across the border I don't believe you need to fill any paperwork out other than what they may give you at customs. I would just tell them when you cross that you're Meeting a friend for lunch"(or dinner) and then leaving later that day. They probably will just let you through no questions asked.
If you do ship it, then whatever company you ship with, make sure to fill out their commercial invoice for international shipping. The forms can usually be filled out online, but they all have to be done in triplicate (I do 4 copies so I keep a copy).

Anyway, that's my advice
Old 02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
rcav8tr

Hi Jeremy

Um that's not a wise idea at the Niagara crossings. They're doing a lot of vehicle checks these days.

Ed

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Ferguson

If you are going to drive across the border I don't believe you need to fill any paperwork out other than what they may give you at customs. I would just tell them when you cross that you're Meeting a friend for lunch"(or dinner) and then leaving later that day. They probably will just let you through no questions asked.
If you do ship it, then whatever company you ship with, make sure to fill out their commercial invoice for international shipping. The forms can usually be filled out online, but they all have to be done in triplicate (I do 4 copies so I keep a copy).

Anyway, that's my advice
Old 02-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Bobman

Hey Steven,

LOL on the dollars, although I think I still have a few of those two-dollar bills left over from the last time. Hmmm.... maybe we could get some loonies instead?

Our best to you & Ellen, give me a shout sometime....

Jeremy, I did something similar a number of years back when bringing some network diagnostic equipment to a friend over the border that he simply needed to borrow.... BIG mistake as they flagged my car on the return trip and I spent a few hours with my new friends, the border guards.

Bob