Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes PW Extra--whats new?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes PW Extra--whats new?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 07:33 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes PW Extra--whats new?

What is the latest date on this ARF? Are there any out there in LHSs now - or do we have a new date to look forward to? (I gave up checking the latest date a long time ago)
Old 09-10-2002, 09:40 AM
Badge
My Feedback: (21)

Well at the end of August Tower had the release pushed back to late September but a few days after that they had changed it to Early September. Either this was just and error and they did't want to push it back or they are close to release. I wish they would get it out already!!!

Thanks
Mike Badger
www.Aero3D.net
Old 09-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

The amount of business that they have lost is amazing.
I had two on backorder and canceled them back in June.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The first shipment is due to arrive any day, with another shipment due to arrive in the next few weeks. Once the kits arrive, there will be a slight delay for quality-control checking.

We hope you find this information helpful. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at this email address. (Please be sure to copy all previous emails into any future questions.)

DID YOU KNOW that our web pages now all contain FAQs? (Frequently asked questions) Please drop by and take a look! We hope you'll find the information helpful and valuable to you.

Sincerely,

Bill Baxter, Manager
Hobby Services
1610 Interstate Dr.
Champaign, IL 61822
USA

Phone: 217 398-0007
Fax: 217 398-7721
Email: [email protected]
Web: http://www.bestrc.com
Old 09-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Badge

Thanks for the info I waited it out I wasn’t in a hurry and the GP looks far superior to the World Models one. I also have a couple on backorder. I feel that those who went with the WM version though not a bad airplane will lack in areas when compared to the GP version. To me the first thing I look at is looks. After viewing the online pictures of the GP version look at both appearance and functionality. The GP shines above the WM, IMO.

Thanks again for the update!
Mike Badger
www.Aero3D.net
Old 09-11-2002, 12:08 AM
snotlocker
My Feedback: (14)

Dang , you can tell that much from a picture ? How can you compare ? i dont get it ,I understand the WM extra has issues , BUT how do you know the GP extra wont ??? I myself ordered the WM EXTRA , and i will have a GREAT PLANES EXTRA also (when they get in )
Old 09-11-2002, 01:48 AM
Badge

Default GP Extra

I can tell a great deal about the GP Extra in the few pictures on GPs site. The biggest noticeable difference for me is the functionality of the tail section. I’m not going to buy an airplane such as WM with its shoty attachment. As I explained in a previous post and which many agreed the tail construction to me simply looks far superior on GPs. I am not talking about flying characteristics as I have nothing to compare. Simply the aesthetic details between the two. This is my opinion as to why I am waiting on the GP Extra.. Biggest issue for me is the tail section I want to be able to have detachable stabs, as told by other WM owners they glued the tail feathers on. This ruins it all and the strength of the tail is going to be much better on the GP Extra since the vertical stab is built into the aircraft much like the ¼ Giles (Actually Identical construction method). The pictures online say it all for me and they do show a lot of detail about these two models, again flying aside. I am not saying the WM is a bad plane simply I am waiting for what I feel is a better thought out design. Other areas of difference, servo attachment on the tail again the GP Extra is making it easy to break down for transport only detaching servo leads much like my 29% and 33%. Aerobats. Simply visit www.greatplanes.com and www.theworldmodels.com and take a look for yourself. The pictures tell it all.

Thanks
Mike Badger
www.Aero3D.net
Old 09-11-2002, 03:41 AM
snotlocker

OK
Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

I saw them both at toledo.
The GP is without a doubt better looking. The world models is a bit bigger.
If the GP had the landing gear fairings the WM has it would be better.
If it looks like the one at toledo it will set a new standard for arf's
Let us just hope that it's been on a diet all this time.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:34 AM
ed42d-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

Just yesterday Tower hobbies had this listed as due in "Early September". Well, I guess early September has come and gone. Now they have this listed as "Late September"...
Old 09-11-2002, 12:26 PM
snotlocker

smallfly , did you get a look at the control surfaces ?
what one of these models did you think were bigger ?
Old 09-11-2002, 01:07 PM
Badge

I have been told yesterday that the Shipments have arrived one on Monday and the other Yesterday. Now quality issues will be gone over to make sure these planes are good to go. I would expect these to ship within 2 weeks.

Thanks
Mike Badger
www.Aero3D.net
Old 09-13-2002, 12:28 AM
dansuf
My Feedback: (3)

Default Looks and only looks

I am sure every one has its own criteria for the looks of a plane. I myself compared both these planes at the Toledo show (WM extra and GP extra), and made up my mind to get WM one. I have been flying mine WM extra for almost a month and feel that indeed its a very good flying bird. I had no problem epoxying the stab permanently on the fuse and I will definitely agree that GP has worked out this detail very well. But nevertheless, WM extra has more esthetical details than GP's extra. Of course WM extra is slightly bigger and lighter than GP's (mine weighs 15.5lbs with ZDZ40 gas engine). In my personal opinion WM did a nice job again.
Jamal
Old 09-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Geistware

If my GP Giles is any indication of quality then the extra is going to be a great bird! My Giles has been more than I expected.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:33 PM
Badge

Totaly agree with you on that! It's almost a given that GP has a winner with the Extra . Looking at the new ZDZ 50 for this plane. Lighter than the 40 and more power.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:51 PM
SMALLFLY-

Default Which engine are you planning??

As I see it which engine to put in it will be the BIG question. Like my AW edge 60-90 it will probably be in one of those in between sizes where a 40-50 gas will make it a little to heavy to 3d and a saito 180 wont be quite enough motor to make it hover. The moki 210 may be a good choice but burning 24 oz of glow on each flight will get pricey fast. I too am looking at the 40-50 size gas range but worry after ignition battery mount etc there will be almost 4 pounds sitting on the nose. As I remember the zdz 50 weighs about 2 oz more than the 40.
Engines I like
tauras 2.6
bme 50
zdz 40 or 50
What are you planning for yours?
Old 09-13-2002, 05:02 PM
ed42d-RCU
My Feedback: (13)

I've got a BME 50 that needs a home. FYI, I'm not sure if we can use Tower Hobbies as a barometer of how close they are to shipping...but a couple of day's ago they were showing "Late September", now they're showing "Mid September". According to my calender were right there. Hope they ship soon!
Old 09-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Badge

The ZDZ 50 weighs less than the ZDZ 40 with all equipment. Compare the two. You are only looking at 3-3.5lb out front. Visit www.rcshowcase.com and compare. I think the 50 will be a great choice. I also have a Mokie 2.10 waiting for a home. I have two of these planes on backorder and I may out fit one with the zdz50 and the other with the 210 and see how they compare.

I was told by a GP employee that they will ship within two weeks if not sooner.

Thanks
Mike Badger
www.Aero3D.net
Old 09-13-2002, 05:26 PM
Cheech

The moki 210 may be a good choice but burning 24 oz of glow on each flight will get pricey fast.
Maybe so, but you can burn more than fourteen gallons of fuel before you make up the purchase price difference between the Moki and a good gas engine . That translates to 1800 ounces of fuel, or about fifteen full hours of flight time. Or to look at it my way that's about NINETY ten minute flights. That's alot of flying

I have gas and glow, but am now looking seriously at big glow power for planes this size. My club has banned gasoline engines (don't ask) and I have been running a MOKI 1.8 on a 74" Extra for a short while now. I actually LIKE the glow engine and am now considering taking a BME off of my Patrick airplane and replacing it with the MOKI 2.1

Get gas if you want it, but it is not really an economic advantage until you're already half tired of the airplane. Ninety flights is alot of flights.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:55 PM
SMALLFLY-

"Weight 1530g /3.37 lbs*

*with all flight hardware, Ignition and plug, 1400 g/3.08 bare
**two more than the ZDZ 40 RV-L...More OMPH!" from rc showcase

now add a 5 oz battery a 1-2 oz switch and charge port an extra kill servo or optical kill switch 1-2 oz, add a metal mount of some kind 4-6 oz and what have you got almost 4 pounds on the nose. This may be fine but it worry's me
Old 09-13-2002, 09:16 PM
PlaneKrazee

Looking at the threads for the DP Extra I don't think a gas engine will be a problem for GP PW Extra and I think a ZDZ40, ZDZ 50 or a taurus 50 would be great for it as would other high power, smooth running low weight gas engines.

The wing area is almost the same and I hope the weight will be as advertized.

I can hardly wait!

I saw the quality of the U-Can-Do 3D at Graves Hobbies in Orlando, it was great! Graves Hobbies has to be the best hobby shop I have ever been in.

Brian

KB1DTB
Old 09-16-2002, 09:27 PM
PlaneKrazee

Tick, Tick, Tick.

Almost here.

Brian
KB1DTB
Old 09-17-2002, 06:12 PM
RobertC
My Feedback: (157)

Default In Stock!?

Ok, so Tower shows that they are in stock... Who's got one?
Old 09-25-2002, 01:06 PM
mr. rc

mine will be delivered today 9/25 with patty wagging her staff......its been a long wait......too long.......have a new brison 2.4 chomping at the bit..........maybe by next weekend it'll be flight ready.....i'll letcha know about the fit and finish is as soon as i rip it from packaging.....its like christmas in sept. tower sold out in one day.....chief aircraft has some
Old 09-26-2002, 03:14 AM
Geistware

When you get it together, let us know how she flies!

Originally posted by mr. rc
mine will be delivered today 9/25 with patty wagging her staff......its been a long wait......too long.......have a new brison 2.4 chomping at the bit..........maybe by next weekend it'll be flight ready.....i'll letcha know about the fit and finish is as soon as i rip it from packaging.....its like christmas in sept. tower sold out in one day.....chief aircraft has some

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.