Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Latex Painting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Latex Painting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latex Painting

Of late there seem to be a fair amount of questions on various aspects of painting with latex.

Here is a link to an article by Roy Vallencourt on painting with latex. This article is VERY GOOD and I feel will answer a lot of questions that people have about painting with latex.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/how_to/latex1.asp

I do take exception with Mr. Vallencourt on a couple of items in the article.

1. Mr. Vallencourt says he uses windshield washer fluid for a thinner. My experience with windshield washer fluid has been that it tints the paint/poly. I use regular water.

2. Mr. Vallencourt says to start spraying at 20 psi, give or take 5 psi (in other words, start spraying at 15 - 25 psi ). My experience has shown that a 25 - 30 psi range provides the best results for me.

3. Mr. Vallencourt says the latex dries completely in 24 hours. My experience has shown that while the latex MAY APPEAR TO BE DRY, it takes an average of 7 - 10 days to "cure", and that a clear coat of poly is best applied AFTER the paint has cured.

4. My experience has shown that 2 sprayed coats of a water base polyurethane is fuel proof to 10% nitro fuel (all I use ) and various reports indicate that it is fuel proof to 15% nitro.

I would like to emphisize that these are FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES and in no way diminish Mr. Vallencourt or his excellent article.

I hope this article is helpful.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:31 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Latex Painting

Look Here---> www.warbirdcolors.com

It is a water-based, polyurathane, fuel-proof paint, with authentic colors. It sticks to anything, dries HARD, sands in about an hour

This IS NOT Ozzie & Harriets paint...it's much better
Old 02-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WarbirdColors look good. However, the current selection of colors is somewhat limited. I would like to see more US WWII and post WWII colors.

U.S. Army Air Corps / U.S.A.F.

* Medium Green, Shade 42, FS 34052
* Insignia Blue, Shade 47, FS 35044
* Azure Blue, FS 35231
* Sand, Shade 49, FS 30313
* Identification Yellow, Shade 48, FS 33538
* Bright Red, FS 31136
* Insignia Red, Shade 45, FS 30109

U.S. Navy / Marines
* Light Grey, FS 36492
* Blue Grey, FS 36118
* Non-Specular Sea Blue, FS 36042
* Glossy Sea Blue, FS 15042
* Bright Red, FS 31136
* Insignia Red, FS 30109
* Insignia Blue, Shade 47, FS 35044
* Identification Yellow, Shade 48, FS 33538
* Engine Grey, FS 16081

Other wish colors:
* Green Zinc Chromate
* Yellow Zinc Chromate
* Aluminum
* International Orange

Also, I use 20% nitro and others use 30% nitro, so it would be nice if your cross linker could provide fuel proofing for high nitro fuel.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:51 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warbirdcolors can match any Federal Standard Color upon request. The minimum order size for a custom color is 1 quart. Any size smaller is too hard to get right...Special orders by request via email at:

[email protected]

all four of your "other wish colors" are in the works. International Orange for the new Vance Mosher designed T-28 (www.vanvan.us), both zinc chromates...just because, and aluminum as soon as I can get it look better than "silver".

And I will go talk to the chemists about a nitro boost...