Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Carburetor Needle Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 02:04 PM
skiprat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor Needle Trouble

Hi all,

Decided to setup my savage 25 from scratch, but when I came to adjust carburetor needle back to 'factory setting' I know that when you turn screw clockwise all the way till it stops, then back 3 turns I found that the 'turning clockwise' part didn't seem to stop for ages, then when I turned back 3 full turns, the needle seem to be too far into the carb.
Can anyone tell me how far it should be across the air inley hole (air filter off) before I try and start her up.
Does this look about right on the picture or should it be further in/out?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69391.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	228831  
Old 02-13-2005, 02:32 PM
skiprat

Default RE: Carburetor Needle Trouble

Anybody?
Old 02-13-2005, 02:44 PM
RabidRacer

check your throttle trim, because it is way to far out. also make sure that the low speed needle is set up right.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:50 PM
skiprat

Throttle trims fine as it sits 1mm from the end, have opened up throttle so that you can se the needle.
Need to know how far needle has to go across as I can't perform factory setting as the screw goes in too far and dosn't seem to have a limit going in? hence, not knowing when I have turned back 3 times.
Thanks mate.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Richie-EB4

You ned to hold the slider closed and then screw in the LSN untill you feel it touch the slider then back it out however many turns you need.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:15 PM
odysseus

You have to hold the slide in(closed) while you turn the lsn in to find bottom. If you don't, the lsn will open the slide as you screw it in. What you want to do is hold the slide closed. I do this by firmly pinching the carb between my fingers...index finger on the hsn side and thumb on the little throttle control nub right next to the lsn (you may have to disconnect the throttle control rod). So, start by backing the screw out so its flush. Close the slide(throttle). Hold it there firmly by pinching or whatever's comfortable for you...do not let go until done. Now, as you screw the lsn in, watch the slide-opening for movement AND try and feel the screw bottom out by paying attention to the resistance through the screw driver and through the pressure your using to hold the slide closed. Ideally, you want to feel the screw bottom out. If you see the slide start to open as you screw the lsn in, you went to far. At that point, I just back the screw out a little and try again. You may have to do it a couple times to get the "feel" of it. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:10 PM
skiprat

Thanks alot, shall try that (once I find out what the 'slider' is?)
HELP!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:14 PM
Richie-EB4

Thats the bit that the throttle arm from the servo fits to on the carb..........when you look in the carb its the bit that move left and right.

Hope this makes sence
Old 02-13-2005, 06:24 PM
skiprat

So that's it!
JOYOUS!!
Cheers.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Old Swede

I had a heck of a time with this adjustment after 1tank at break in with my savage. Finally got through to Hpi tech; seems as though the spec in the manual is incorrect. My engine was going way lean at start up. Tech recommended 1/2 turn from flush on lsn screw then tune from there. starting from this point really helped me as I was chasing problems i didnt have, air leaks etc.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:31 AM
Chipichape

ORIGINAL: Old Swede

I had a heck of a time with this adjustment after 1tank at break in with my savage. Finally got through to Hpi tech; seems as though the spec in the manual is incorrect. My engine was going way lean at start up. Tech recommended 1/2 turn from flush on lsn screw then tune from there. starting from this point really helped me as I was chasing problems i didnt have, air leaks etc.

Hi,

1/2 turn in or out?

Thx, Chip