Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Cowl Cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 11:11 PM
jjmiller1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowl Cutout?

Where and how much should I cut out of my cowl for my 25% Edge with an FPE 2.4? If the cylinder was going to protrude, I wouldn't have to ask, but the engine would almost, entirely fit under the cowl if it weren't for the spark plug and muffler. Some pictures of gasser cowls would be great. Thanx for any responses.

JJ
Old 09-13-2002, 11:43 AM
rbort
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut the least out possible

I would say cut as little as you have to as it will always look nicer that way. I personally don't like gaping holes in the bottom of the cowl or huge squares that people tend to cut out for cooling. More of a neat freak...!

If I was you, I would take the spark plug out and muffler out, and fit the cowl over the engine to see if it all clears. If it does, then line up the spinner / crankshaft with the front openings and then drill and mount the cowl. Then take the cowl back off and put the muffler on. Mark very close to the muffler (as tight as possible) and then cut the clearance in the back of the cowl for the pipes so that you can slide the cowl on and flex it if you have to to clear the pipes a bit around the tight fit. Once on, bolt the cowl screws on so you know where it sits, and then mark and cut clearance around the muffler pipes about 1/8" or so. That is all you need for clearance and now that the muffler is intalled and the cowl is screwed in, you will be able to make the clearance = on both sides of the muffler pipes.

Next, figure out where the spark plug goes and try to use the cutout for the muffler to let the spark plug wire out. Cut the cowl to be centered around the spark plug exit, and then you can cut a slanted curve to accomodate the approaching spark plug wire to the spark plug.

If you take your time, and this means probably a whole evening, you will have a nice tight fitting cowl that will look good. The slot in the bottom to let the muffler pipes out should be enough for airflow, and, the air scoops in the front should do the same to allow cooling for the engine.

Worst case scenario you can cut out more cowl later if the engine tends to overheat (lose power), but my theory is cut less first and see what happens as you can always cut more later.

I just finished my Taylorcraft with a BME 44 motor and pretty much did the least cutting I could to keep the engine enclosed. 95% of the cylinder is enclosed, and the engine runs just fine.

-=>Raja.