Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

hatchs&latchs

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

hatchs&latchs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:26 PM
ffdq
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hatchs&latchs

HI,NEED SOME HELP TO MAKE A COMPARTMENT FOR: AIR, FUEL,ELEC HOOK UPS.DONT KNOW WHAT HINGE OR LATCH TO USE OR WERE TO GET.NEED SOME INFO.
THANKS
Old 02-19-2005, 11:25 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hatchs&latchs

There's lots of ways to do that. I was actually just thinking about that today... Basically, you need something to support all the junk, recessed under the skin to clear whatever pieces stick out. A thin (1/16") ply plate should work well for most things. If the model is covered(monokote, ultracote, etc) then the hinge is easy, just carry the covering over the hatch and add a small strip to the inside joint. Alternatively, you could use plastic or nylon hinges attached to the inside of the hatch. Or, even easier yet, just use a few small servo screws(one at each corner) to hold the whole thing on. I don't know of any ready-made charge/fueling compartments, but there may be some out there... I'm sure it's not a new idea.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:15 AM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might consider a tip I posted earlier. Make a framework on the INSIDE of the fuselage to support the hatch. Imbed a thin metal plate into the edge(s) on the back of the hatch. Imbed some small magnets into the framework for the hatch.

Your fingernail will be able to remove the hatch for access, yet the magnets will hold the hatch firmly in place.

I have used this technique on several models and have never lost a hatch during a flight.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:32 AM
the-plumber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One way is to make a functional hatch where the rider scale has one.

In my 33% Extra 230, I made such a hatch on the foredeck where the 1:1 has a service access. Being a scale effort, I used piano hinge material and screws like the prototype.

Only have the one old black and white photo, so what you cannot see is that under the hatch is a pivoting bracket which holds three barrel-type 2.5 mm. barrel type power receptacles to charge the three on-board batteries, and in the bottom of the compartment are two [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD745&P=7]of these [/link]for filling/emptying the fuel and smoke oil tanks. The power connectors are the same as are used for the charge connectors on most transmitters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28607.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	231952  
Old 02-23-2005, 12:11 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

If it is a flat cover I lay balsa sheeting on two rails like 3\16 square hardwood. Let the two squares extend past one end cut the other end flush. Use the extended end to hook under the main body structure. On the other end I use a flat landing gear strap across the hatch and main structure.

A. J. Clark