Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Carden or Kit Builders!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 05:03 PM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carden or Kit Builders!

I appreciate all the feedback regarding Carden! I have decided to build the Cuda. The question I have is what are you builders using as a workbench that is straight and level and does not require constant adjusting to keep straight? I have seen slate, plywood, glass, and a company called CG3 that offers a buliding surface that is extremely high priced! When building a large plane are there any particular tools that come to mind that will help with construction?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 02-25-2005, 05:47 PM
ibow24
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Carden or Kit Builders!

I built my bench top using 2x4's for the support and legs and the top is made of 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF on top of each other cut to size. MDF is very heavy and flat and stays that way with a good support underneath it. I spent a long time shimming and leveling the base in every direction with an 8' straight edge and a digital level. When I set the MDF on top it was perfect. On top of that I use a sheet of 1/2" drywall cut to the size of the bench as the actual building surface. Drywall holds pins well and when it gets too beat up you just replace it with a new sheet.
Tools for building a big plane. WOW, you can never enough tools but make sure you have a long TRUE straight edge, lots of carpenters squares for building the fuse and quick clamps for the motor box etc. A drill press is just about a must have and a band saw sure comes in handy. A palm sander for going over the wing skins once they are glued up. It's easier to sand them on a flat surface before they are glued to the cores. The good old Dremel tool. Sanding T-bars with 2 or 3 different grit papers on them. # drill bits and taps, lots of #11 blades. The Fourmost Products mitre sander and mitre saw are nice to have. A Stanley 12-101 mini block plane works great for shaping the leading and trailing edges. Plus the 100 or so standard building supplies you normally use for construction.
Take your time, read as much as you can, study the building plans and enjoy it. The Carden kits are a pleasure to build

good luck
Steve
Old 02-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Boogie

This might also help you:
http://www.aeroprotect.com/Workbench/CUDA/
Old 02-26-2005, 03:40 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

If you go to www.edge540.com on the bottom of the page you can find the plans to build a work bench by Bob hudson.

Also both www.edge540.com as well as www.extra330s.com are other great sites to look at when building a Carden.

Rob
Old 02-26-2005, 05:22 PM
the-plumber

ORIGINAL: PTS
The question I have is what are you builders using as a workbench that is straight and level and does not require constant adjusting to keep straight?
Insofar as tools needed to make a permanently flat building surface, you need a table saw, good quality cartridge-type respirator, and a pneumatic brad nailer. You can rent the saw and nailer if you don't already have them.

See the photo album "Torsion box building table" on my web site, and follow the link to the original DIY Network articles.