Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Your Thoughts on Sealing Hinge Gaps

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Your Thoughts on Sealing Hinge Gaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 09:37 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your Thoughts on Sealing Hinge Gaps

Giant scale planes with plenty of torque and no slop. What are your thoughts on what you do reference rudder, elevator, aileron - all or some, wide gap, narrow gap? Doesn't matter, seal everything. Doesn't matter, I never seal. Or is there a point like, say, 1/16" were it doesn't matter, but 1/8" it does. Has anyone seen a definitive article on this. thanks.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Your Thoughts on Sealing Hinge Gaps

Splais,

I have flown a lot of planes, with and without hinge gaps. The reality of it comes down to the fact that the ones that i have gap sealed, with or without having a notable gap, have flown better and more predictability than those that were not sealed.

Since that discovery, I have sealed everything, gaps large, small, and none.

Pat
Old 02-28-2005, 09:47 PM
GreaTOne_65

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for your information, splais, I wouldn't fly my airplanes without sealing the gaps. Once you do I doubt that you will ever fly without doing it again. The responce of an airplane with and without sealing is unbelieveable.

Bigger is always better

Dale
Old 02-28-2005, 09:53 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I seal the gaps on all plnes greater than .40 size, and, yes, there is a subtle improvement in control authority, and I have never had flutter issues.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:14 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Splais-Never thought it mattered much until my DPM Extra last year. The hinge gaps were very tight, so the first two flights were sans sealing; taping the gaps brought a definitely tighter, more precise feel to the controls. I never had a flutter problem with an airplane regardless of gap, so I must be doing something right. Seal'em. Jim