Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Adhering part plans for easy removal

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Adhering part plans for easy removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adhering part plans for easy removal

The first thing you need to do is get an ACCURATE copy of your parts made. Kinkos or a blueprint shop can do this at a reasonable cost.

Now many people will tell you to adhere them to the wood with a lightly sprayed coat of 3M #77 adhesive. This adheres them very well, in fact too well. Eventually you want to get the paper off the parts. This can be a problem. [:@] The only things I have found to remove the #77 adhesive are ether and acetone [:-] - neither one you want to use inside.

Instead of using #77 adhesive, pick up some glue sticks in the stationary/school supplies section of the local Wal-Mart. You will need to work fairly quickly applying the glue stick to the paper and then applying the paper to the wood so the glue doesn't dry on you (if it does dry in spots, just lift that spot up and reapply the stick ). The glue sticks hold about 90% - 95% as well as #77, however, they just peel right off afterwards and leave very little residue.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:52 PM
cwesh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Adhering part plans for easy removal

Another one is to get some repositionable spray adhesive from a craft store. I use the Krylon brand. Works for me.

Later!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:56 AM
johnboyrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used rubber cement for my cut outs. Must apply the paper to the wood before it dries completely. It holds well enough against my scroll saw, yet I can peel it off when I am done cutting it out. Any residue left -you just rub your finger over it and it beads up and falls off. It doesn't seal the surface, so epoxy and ca still adhere fine.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:47 PM
flipstart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A second vote on the rubber cement (not to be confused with contact cement) comes in glass bottle with brush-available at office supply places or Wally World. On paper to wood-spread some glue on paper and apply to wood. On sticking several layers of balsa together so you can cut several parts at one time-apply glue to BOTH surfaces-let dry until tacky and stick together. Works like a charm. I have stacked as many as six layers of 1/16" -1/4" balsa and cut on scroll saw or band saw with no problems. This method will also work on hardwood or plywood. On large pieces just be sure to apply an even coat so layers of wood will lay down evenly.