Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Is automotive spray paint model fuel proof??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Is automotive spray paint model fuel proof??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 09:50 AM
nick.wright
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is automotive spray paint model fuel proof??

Have a plane fuse thats been painted glossy white. After a minor collision with a fence, I need to re-paint the fuse. Lusterkote's white is too dull. Will the automotive spray paints found in auto stores be model fuel proof? Is their any other paints that would work??
Old 09-19-2002, 09:53 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you are calling auto paints. If your talking about the spray cans in auto parts stores, some is and some isn't. High quality professional auto paint like PPG's Concept is fuel proof.

Vince
Old 09-19-2002, 10:47 AM
flailing
My Feedback: (1)

I have read the Plasticoat engine paint is fuel proof.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:51 PM
banktoturn

nick,

As someone said above, some of the auto paints are and some aren't. If you go to your local hardware store, they will probably have spray cans of appliance paint, which is epoxy resin. I think I have seen Krylon brand and some that are the hardware store brand. I have found this to be great stuff, and epoxy resin is definnitely fuel proof. It doesn't have to be appliance paint, any epoxy resin will do, but I have found that on the huge wall of spray paints, most of them don't specify what kind of paint they are, and the guys at the store don't know. Since the appliance paint comes in common appliance colors, you should find glossy white.

banktoturn
Old 09-19-2002, 09:21 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Actually, most of the appliance paints (commonly know in the trade as "refrigerator paint") are alkyd enamels with color pigments not ground as fine as automotive paints. Epoxy paints are VERY VERY durable and VERY VERY expensive. One of my favorite automotive primers is PPG's DP series (e.g. DP40 grey) epoxy primer/sealer. It cures so tough that the instructions tells you to top coat no later than 1wk after application. After that, it has cured so hard that the top coat won't adhere properly. One quart of this stuff, which comes in separate cans of primer and hardender, cost $35 if I remember correctly. BTW, this level of pricing is typical of premium auto refinishes (i.e. the kind typically used in auto body shops). I doubt most RCers will be willing to tolerate paint supplies costing over $200 just to get started.

Then there are the spray can types... As stated previously, some are fuel proof; some are not. Most of the lacquer types are not fuel proof, while the enamel types have a better chance of being fuel proof - albeit no guarantee. How can you tell which type it is? Well, you can try reading the label. If you don't see it specified, or you don't understand the ingredients list, then go by the assumption that if it says "fast drying" then it's more than likely laquer based.
Old 09-20-2002, 12:48 AM
banktoturn

Volfy,

I didn't realize that. Since a couple of the appliance paints I saw were epoxy, I assumed they all were. My bad.

banktoturn
Old 09-20-2002, 02:15 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

No problem. Some may know this: the reason the Earl Scheib types can paint your car for $99.95 is because they sometime use "refrigerator" paint because it is extremely cheap in large quantities. That is also why they used to only offer a few color choices - Lime green being a popular one in the 70's.

Not that it is a really bad paint. Properly baked and cured, it's actually pretty tough. The only problem with it is that there typically no UV stabilizer in them so the paint job tend to fade after a while sitting in the sun.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:53 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure? If so please say so because I
thought there was mentioned in a thread here that plasticote (which is acrylic lacquer) was fuel-proof and that enamel wasn't. My Ford Model A when I had it was not as durable as some others. It was painted with enamel and others were painted with lacquer. If I left gas on the hood I could soften the paint.

I used plasticote on a pair of floats recently and they are fine, but they don't get a lot of fuel on them.

Thanks

One spray can didn't even cover a set of .40 size floats. It gets expensive.
Old 09-20-2002, 04:29 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default fuel

Gas and Glow fuel are two differant things. One can be glow proof or resistant but not be gas proof.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:43 PM
nick.wright
My Feedback: (16)

Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone. Thik I'll try some epoxy paint. I already have some in the shop. Thanks again