Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

JR Propo Explorer V90 Acro

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

JR Propo Explorer V90 Acro

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 03:19 PM
PatternFlyer
My Feedback: (182)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Propo Explorer V90 Acro

Anyone has this plane built or flown?
I got one and am trying to get people to share idea on this kit.
Thanks,
Old 09-22-2002, 03:49 AM
Warrior523

Ihncheol,

My friend brought his out to the field today for first flights. The plane was very impressive, especially for its size, since I am used to 2 meter pattern planes. He has a YS .91 on it and JR 8231's. The things that I noticed while watching and talking to him were:

Due to large control surface areas it is necessary to keep throws pretty low on ailerons and elevator. Rudder throw was cut by 50 percent and still maintained excellent authority in stall turns.

Wind was minimal today so good day for trimming and test flying, the planed tracked well. No wing hunting. Snaps were quick, crisp and stopped without over rotation.

The plane is pretty light which is a pleasant surprise and flys at a very nice slow to slow moderate speed and has a very nice speed in downlines.

Overall from what I have seen it is a pretty impressive little plane. I could not fly it today due to the owner being a mode 2 flyer and myself being mode 1. We are going to download programs tomorrow so I will get a chance to check it out further.

Dan
Old 09-22-2002, 04:14 AM
PatternFlyer

Dan,
Thank you for reply.
Are you referring to Mike Howard?
I just got an E-mail from him about flying the Explorer.
How many people there use Mode 1? In Northwest, I am the only Mode 1 guy flying Pattern.

I haven't built mine yet because I am still in the middle of trimming my BeatOn90. Just had 2 flight today. Looks like I will love Explorer too.
Let me know if you have a chance to fly that plane. I will ask Mike to give you the radio next time.

I will let other Explorer owners know about the first one flying.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	27109_8581.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	16846  
Old 09-22-2002, 05:20 AM
Warrior523

Yes, it was Mike. I have been working hard on getting him to come out of the dark and into the light...he has been flying IMAC and I am slowly getting his interest peaked in pattern. There are not to many of us left down here that fly on Mode 1. Kind of a dying breed I guess. When I first started flying years ago, I began on Mode 2 then when I got interested in pattern switched to Mode 1.

Did Mike tell you how big his smile was while he was flying the Explorer??

Dan
Old 09-22-2002, 12:32 PM
Rossan

I also have one of these. flew it for the first time two days ago...and it was a disaster!!!

It took off well, tracked straight, and then in the second turn, went into what looked like an inverted flat spin!!

Luckily (!!!) it went into a river and floated. The recovery was a whoooole different story, but the aircraft was basically un-scathed.

Much to my suprise I found that the Horizontal Stab was loose. On further inspection, the rear fuselage had failed ABOVE the stab on one side and BELOW on the other, as if the stab had failed under torsional load. With the stab free to rotate, one elevator went up, the other down, the rest...history!!

I'll be able to repair it, (I also have to work out how to get water out of a canopy!!) and I think beefing up the rear with an external doubler will fix it, but it certainly was dissapointing with a high-end ARF!
Old 09-22-2002, 08:59 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

what are the specs on the explorer? where did you all get them and how much?
Old 09-22-2002, 09:00 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

PS, good looking beat on 90, specs on it and where to get it?
Old 09-22-2002, 09:46 PM
PatternFlyer

Default Explorer & BeatOn Spec

Explorer V90 Acro
Hajime Hatta design

Length : 1700mm
Wing span: 1700mm
Wing area : 56dm^2
Weight: 3.6 ~ 3.7kg.
Radio : 4 ch-5 servos
Engine : 90 4-stroke with stock muffler
We got this kit from eBay.
Check it out. there is another one up.

BeatOn 90 ARC Akiba concept design.
Length : 1720mm
Wingspan: 1720mm
Wing area: 54dm^2
Weight: 3570g
Radio: 5 ch- 6 servos
Engine: 90 4-stroke.
Price: above $800.00
Beaton was a limited hand built Almost ready to cover kit, so I am not sure who has one in stock. I bought the kit a few years ago.

You may be able to find out through Japanese hobby shops. If you paint light. you can match the target weight. I made a mistake on painting and fiberglassing the wing center section of top and bottom. One after landing incident repair. Right now, mine weighs 9 pounds. With 91AC it flies smooth, but I still want to put a bigger engine.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-23-2002, 12:00 AM
PatternFlyer

Hi, Rossan,
Sorry to hear your disappointments on Explorer.
Would let us know how you build yours? Any changes in hardware, or setup?
I have 7 people in my inbox list who has Explorer including above mentioned Mike.
thanks,
Old 09-23-2002, 01:23 AM
Rossan

Hi Patternflyer,

I used a golden-rod settup on the elevators instead of the pushrod. I used a flexible cable for the throttle as the high position of the throttle arm on my Saito 100 meant I couldn't route the supplied rigid cable.

Two of the supplied engine mounts broke the first time I ran the engine (It ran backwards briefly and the vibration was enough to split them) and replaced them a soft mount supplied by Kyosho.

Apart from that, pretty much stock. I'm sure it will be a good aeroplane once fixed, but you can imagine I'm a little frustrated! What I didn't mention is this is my first R/C aeroplane in six years, and I was feeling REAL good flying it till it all went to hell!
Old 09-23-2002, 03:29 AM
PatternFlyer

Rossan,
You mentioned Kyosho parts used on your Explorer.
Are they same? As far as I know, Kyosho G-trick uses similar mount. Is G-trick made in China?

Also, Sullivan Gold N Rod for elevator? Are you talking about the two split elevator output at the end? I am planning to use MK bellcrank for elevator halves. Also, how much epoxy did you use to install horizontal stab? It doesn't seem to be that weak on my kit. No offense here.
Thanks,
Old 09-23-2002, 04:44 AM
Rossan

PF,

No offense taken! Like I said, this is my first aircraft in years, so I'm open to the idea that it was my mistake. It LOOKS more like the wood that the tail is mounted in failed, but I guess it might be that the tail came loose and then damaged the wood. One thing for sure, it will be plenty strong next time!!

I used two sullivan rods and then joined them just before the servo, mainly because getting the pushrod set up right was looking like a major pain!!

I don't know if the mount is the same as in the G-trick. It mounts the engine in between two metal beams, then screws to the rails via some hard rubber bearers.

By the way, do you know of a good on-line source for hardware like the MK bellcrank? I'm in a rather remote part of Japan, and getting stuff domestically is a little problematic as I don;t speak the language.

Thanks

Rossan
Old 09-23-2002, 05:56 AM
PatternFlyer

Default Sources for MK parts

Rossan,
I am not sure where you are. It looks like you are in Japan?

in US, you can get them from Central Hobbies
http://www.centralhobbies.com

Gator RC
http://www.gatorrc.com

In Japan you can get them from any local hobby shops or hobbynet.jp.

http://www.hobbynet-jp.com
Mr. Hidehiko Hiwada speaks and writes English pretty good. Give him an E-mail.

Considering that you have sealed all the hinge gaps.
For those Gold N Rod, did you glue those outside tubes to the fuselage so that they don't vibrate?

Did you also get the Giles 202 kit from the same place where you bought the Explorer?
Old 09-23-2002, 07:41 AM
Rossan

Thanks for the info. Yes I secured the ends of the rods.

I got both aircraft from a dealer on E-bay. I'm almost certain the same factory produces both, going by the instructions, construction methods etc. I'd therefore be suprised if the G-trick wasn't made in the same place.

Yes. I'm in Japan. I live in Miyazaki on Kyushu. Where are you?
Old 09-23-2002, 08:58 AM
PatternFlyer

Rossan,

This is the link to the manufacturer. In Chinese and English. There are several other planes they are building for Japanese and Taiwanese companies including Kyosho, JR propo, World Model (not really sure), Jamara, H9 of US.

http://www.sanyemodel.com

How much did you pay for the shipping & handling to Japan?
I am in US, Idaho. Are you in military? Try to get a few Japanese guys to help you find the hobby shops. It is very popular hobby in Japan. I am sure you will find a local hobby shops.
Later,
Old 09-23-2002, 02:04 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Planes are available in US

These planes are being sold by the guy who sells them on Ebay for $279 plus $40 shipping.
Do you think that a decent 2 stroke 90 with a pipe would be an ample power supply for the plane? Thanks Mike
Old 09-23-2002, 07:36 PM
PatternFlyer

Mups53,
You will have hard time mounting the pipe if you want to use 2-stroke engine. The plane was designed to use 4-stroke and the wide body type will require extra long header and tricky pipe mounting on the side of the body. However, I think it can be done.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:29 AM
PatternFlyer

I think the engine mount is from WorldModel.
http://www.theworldmodels.com/Acces.htm
Can anyone verify it? I packed my kit back in the box and sealed it for shipping.

If anyone interested, Hirobo MA Type 004-046 Carbon gear set should fit the Explorer.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:27 PM
PatternFlyer

Anyone else currently flying the Explorer?
Old 01-16-2003, 08:03 PM
PatternFlyer

Well, it's been a few months since my last post.
Anyone still flying?
I haven't built it yet, but I got the necessary parts.

1. 2x 8411SAs for tail.

2. 2x 4131s for ailerons. I may replace them with 8231 or 9401 (low profile digital?)

3. Hitec 225 for throttle.

4. YS 91FZ with stock muffler. It is used and recently updated by YS. I still like to used long pattern style muffler. YS 110 still not available in US.

5. MK and Pilot light weight wheels for replacement. Tettra aluminum wheels looks good too. Stock wheels goes out faster than expected based on info from other owner.

6. Larger size glass wheel pants. Gator G202 pants. I think these are stronger than stock. Also larger size wheels can be used for taller grass runway.

7. MK 812 or 815 (offset) control horns for all flying surfaces.

8. MK ball baring clevis with carbon pushrods for entire setup except the throttle.

9. MK Bell Crank for elevator. (narrow one, not sure if wider one is necessary)

10. Tru Turn 2.75" 120 cut FAI LBP spinner with Dbl Jam nuts for YS 91.

11. Tettra fuel Ts and dots. I have lots of other Tettra parts that I am going to sell.

12. Lots of Radio South hinges.

Possible upgrades in the future.

1. YS 110 or a 120 size 2-stroke (must be stronger and lighter than YS 91 or 110). Any suggestions?

2. Bolly standard FAI carbon gear. (I have to gut in half because of narrow top. It is taller than stock, so I can use larger prop for 3D.) I know Hirobo makes several types but they are hard to get.

3. A box that I can ship this plane. Stab is one piece and can not be removed. I just wish someone design a plane like this with removable stab!!

What else?
Let me know.