Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Carbon fibre and antenna

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Carbon fibre and antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 02:33 PM
rdresch
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon fibre and antenna

I just did a range check, by completely wrapping both my reciever and the antenna which was coiled up, in 6 layers of carbon fiber 2inch tape.
I saw absolutely no differance in range to a uncovered antenna. I read many posts here and elsewhere in RC Universe warning of the dangers of carbon fiber and covering the antenna. What gives? Something else going on I dont understand. I am about to layup a 1/10 scale osprey and was hoping to use carbon fiber, which I already purchased. I cant afford to make a major mistake here if the carbon is going to block the signal.
Though The carbon does conduct but its resistance seems fairly high. at any rate it seems to let the radio signals through just fine. Advise please
Old 03-16-2005, 02:41 PM
hpghost
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Carbon fibre and antenna

nice hearing that...
Old 03-16-2005, 04:31 PM
c/f

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll let you fly an all carbon fuse combat plane .030" and you will definately learn about antenna placement and radio range.

Although I learned to overcome it and am not afraid of carbon shielding there are lessons to be learned. IMHO the c/f ") get it??? acts as a shield so anytime the transmitter antenna and the recevier antenna become blocked line of sight by carbon fiber acting as a shield then lockout happens. I actually use this phenom to my benefit by using c/F arrows and heli tail booms as makeshift conduit to run long lead servo wires to the tail of jet/giant scale planes. Also I will house the turbine ECU in a c/f box if it is in tight areas just to insure against errant signals.

Your test seems peculiar me having been there done that, I'll send you a carbon box .030 for your receiver to fit in and do the same test then reoprt back, It is real issue I've been flying c/f combat models for 10 years, just a learning curve.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 PM
tommyboy1229

Hi c/f,

How do you get around it with your combat planes? I have done similar tests with mixed results. I have also seen people run their antenna right through the middle of a carbon pushrod, in racers no less. ????????????????????
Old 03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
c/f

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I end of making sure the antenna gets routed on as many sides of the aircraft. I start by coming out fuse at rear of wing and run a hoop secured to wing bottom then, up the vertical fin, cause it is coroplast, and then a 6" piece hanging off tail.

I also fly a mostly c/f micro heli and the same phenom exists, only way to avoid is routing on many axis's to not be blocked c/f to antenna line of sight. This routing would even include the no, no of securing to c/f tailboom supports, it's real easy to see how line of sight blockage occurs, but no problem if some other portion anntena routing picks up should that portion become shielded.

I can also believe your racer scenario cause IMHO an entire antenna does not need to see the transmitter antenna, having also pylon raced just think of their very prescribed flat and banking pattern with them standing in middle, It is very believable to me that any antenna portion exposed would never become totaly shielded out line of sight by a small c/f tube If none were exposed I can't believe that working.

Realize my full carbon fuse is a big shield, if an all carbon jet fuse were made it would sucumb to my experiances. As long as you can not recreate a scenario in which an entire antenna becomes shielded line of sight to the transmitter by c/f you would be OK, Even in my routing I knew some potential orientations to avoid.