Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

*BTE Reaction 54 Flys*

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

*BTE Reaction 54 Flys*

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Skymac
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *BTE Reaction 54 Flys*

Hey,

Tim Schuy got his BTE Reaction 54 in the air today which if I'm not mistaken is the first customer aircraft to take to the sky. The aircraft was a beauty in the air, the speed envelope that this plane packs is incredible all the way down to the walking speed of landings and slow flight, it will get up and boogie on step without a hitch as well. I'm sure Tim will get on here in a bit and post his comments on the successful day of flying.

I got some video clips off a standard digital still camera, it doesn't provide the best of quality but by either Monday or Tuesday evening I will have a video made up from the DV Camcorder with a much higher, non-dialup safe quality.

Enjoy...

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Flyby.wmv

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Flyby2.AVI

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Landing1.wmv

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Takeoff.wmv

Old 03-20-2005, 08:45 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: *BTE Reaction 54 Flys*

Yeah Buddy! Congrats! Looks good!

Dave Rigotti
Old 03-20-2005, 08:45 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

I got to fly this Reaction 54 for the first flight and this is one of the best jets I have had my hands on. Tim did a great job on the Reaction 54. This Jet will slow down to walk , and will be great for shot fields.

Mike Grant
Old 03-20-2005, 09:32 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job!!
Old 03-20-2005, 09:52 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Well guy's....

I've officially joined the ranks of those who brave the great skies with the sweet sound and smell of turbine powered airplanes. I got my R54 up into the air today and she flew great!!!. It was like she was on rails and begging to have me let loose of the rains so that it fly at the speed equivalent to it's turbine temperature.Only trim needed was to take out the 3 clicks of elevator that I dialed in before the maiden. WD40 did the honors of taking her up for the maiden and the comment after she landed was that he needed to get his built because it flies like a dream. After the maiden it was buddy box time and I qualified for my waiver and will be sending in the paperwork tomorrow.

Weather was perfect. Clear skies and a very light cross wind.

Preflight and engine start went off like clock work. First run was just a taxi test to see how the engine and airframe behaved on the runway. We found the nose steering a little sensitive so the turbine was shut down and I adjusted the expo for the steering. Brake system was tested too and found to perform very well. Highly recommend the CompactUniBrakes for this bird with a UP-6 brake valve. They fit this jet perfectly.

After a top off of the fuel and a quick through flight inspection of the airframe it was time to take her up. Take off was very smooth and the acceleration was brisk. Pull the stick back slightly and she rotated and lift off nice and smooth without surprises. Suck the gear up and at full throttle she'll accelerate !QUOT!very!QUOT! quickly if you are not careful. Pull the power back to slightly below half and its doing a good 90 MPH.

A few circuits around the pattern to feel her out and found the controls very crisp and precise. Only trim changes needed were to take out the three clicks of up elevator which I dialed in. Ailerons and rudder need no corrections. Tested the pitch change when going from slow flight idle to full power and no tendency to pitch up.

Dirty the airplane up and check the control response and I found to have very good control to the point where one would swear it would fall out of the sky. When doing so, one will sometimes fine that is not carefully maintained the aircraft will fall off to one side or the other. An example of this would be that to make a 30 degree bank angle turn. I've noticed on some airframes that I would have to hold top aileron to keep the angle from increasing. Not so on this airplane. put her into a turn at slow speed and she maintains. Just a tad bit of back pressure to keep the nose from dropping is all that is needed

FTE T-500 has plenty of power to move this Jet. I flew with less then half throttle for most of my flight and it was pretty darn fast. Put in full power and it's a rocket ship. Take off took less then 150 feet and when she lifted, it was climbing like a home sick angel. I can easily pull her up to a 45 degree angle with full power and she accelerated as she climbs. Throttle back and the response was much like a high performance pattern airplane but a whole lot faster.

As Bruce has pointed out the landings are pretty flat and have a tendency to float. Flaps do help a great deal in slowing this bird down. I could easily hit the numbers since the airplane responds nicely to control inputs at the slow flight speed.

My thanks goes to all today for making yet another dream of mine come true.

To Mike - I really appreciate your guidance and instruction. Glad that you enjoyed the flight today and hopefully it will spur the desire for you to get your R54 completed.

To Justin - It was a pleasure to meet you in person finally and appreciate your help today and working the logistics to help me get my waiver.

To Vaughan - Thank you for being my safety and my calm. Appreciate you help in keeping me focused on what is important.

To the guys at FTE - Thanks for making a great engine. The FTE T-500 is a great turbine and it has performed flawlessly for me

Last and certainly not the least - Thank you Bruce Tharpe for designing yet another great airplane and great kit. The wait was long and I know there had been some development problems but after what I have experienced today it was truly worth it. The Reaction 54 is truly your best and it's been a great pleasure to build and it flies even better. The airframe is solid and the flight performance is phenominal.

Now I have some paperwork to complete and get sent to the AMA.

To all those who are still building their kits, guys you're going to love how this thing flies!!! Get-Er-Done!!!

Cheers,
Old 03-20-2005, 10:07 PM
wd40
My Feedback: (81)

Tim, Thanks for filght on the Reaction 54 I was going to sale my Kit, but I am going to keep it now. I hope to start it soon.

Thanks
Mike Grant
Old 03-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Skymac

Happy that I could help, if you ever need anything I'll be glad to help you out to the best of my ability. Look forward to you coming down and flying more with us,we have a great bunch of guys down here that truly love the hobby. Hope you enjoyed our facility as well, once spring weather gets good the field will look immaculate.

Mike, Want to have a race to see who's R54 gets built first? I might be able to get my hands on one here soon...

Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 AM
tschuy

Thanks Justin...

Will see ya at the fun fly at your field.

Cheers,
Old 03-21-2005, 10:23 AM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: wd40

Tim, Thanks for filght on the Reaction 54 I was going to sale my Kit, but I am going to keep it now. I hope to start it soon.

Thanks
Mike Grant
Mike I'm glad that you changed your mind. The kit goes together very well and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. To me that was 60% of the fun. The other 40% is getting her up and tearing holes up in the sky....

Cheers,

Old 03-21-2005, 11:20 AM
BruceTharpe

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely Awesome, Tim!!! You did a fantastic job with the kit and you should be very proud of your accomplishment. Thanks for the gracious compliments at the end of your post - that really means a lot to me.

Hey Justin, thanks for the vids. Looking forward to the "theatrical release"

Bruce
-------------
BTE www.btemodels.com
Old 03-26-2005, 08:13 PM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: Skymac

Hey,

Tim Schuy got his BTE Reaction 54 in the air today which if I'm not mistaken is the first customer aircraft to take to the sky. The aircraft was a beauty in the air, the speed envelope that this plane packs is incredible all the way down to the walking speed of landings and slow flight, it will get up and boogie on step without a hitch as well. I'm sure Tim will get on here in a bit and post his comments on the successful day of flying.

I got some video clips off a standard digital still camera, it doesn't provide the best of quality but by either Monday or Tuesday evening I will have a video made up from the DV Camcorder with a much higher, non-dialup safe quality.

Enjoy...

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Flyby.wmv

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Flyby2.AVI

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Landing1.wmv

http://www.turnandburnrc.com/jetjoe/videos/Takeoff.wmv

Hey Justin...how's the vid's coming along?

Just wondering...

Cheers,

Old 03-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Skymac

Tim,

I have all 65Mb of the raw footage that I am working down and clipping and pasting to save quality but to reduce file size and play time a little bit... I have been real busy the last few days getting a few momentous projects out of the way, so they are soon to follow. Sorry for the delay.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:30 PM
tschuy

Justin...

You're a busy man....

Thanks for the update....

Cheers,

Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 PM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: Skymac

Tim,

I have all 65Mb of the raw footage that I am working down and clipping and pasting to save quality but to reduce file size and play time a little bit... I have been real busy the last few days getting a few momentous projects out of the way, so they are soon to follow. Sorry for the delay.

Never did get the CD or video's from you Justin...

Now I've noticed the links no longer work... Do you still have the vid's?

Cheers,