Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Attaching wire to ply??

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Attaching wire to ply??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 AM
mrfliboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attaching wire to ply??

I'm in the process of making changes to my 1/4 scale DR-1. Scratch built Bill Effinghams plans. For the upper wing mounting I'd like to attach 3/16" wire to 1/8" ply. Looking for best and strongest attachment. Any Help greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83801.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	247884  
Old 03-23-2005, 10:40 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Attaching wire to ply??

Instead of doing it like your picture, move the wires out onto the ends and wrap the ends with some thin brass strips and then wrap the whole assembly with fiberglass. That's how the cabanes on the Sig Smith Miniplane are built and they are very strong.

Or, make the ply the same thickness as the wire, cut slots in the wood, trap inside with some 1/16" ply on both sides and then glass it.

Or, if you are determined to mount as shown, use some nose wheel steering bearings bolted to the ply.

Don
Old 03-23-2005, 10:48 AM
mrfliboy

Excellent ideas there Hattend, All ideas noted. I have to see on the incidence part if I can move to the edge of the ply or not. The ply plates will mount to existing holes already in the wing. Thanks so much.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 PM
kdheath

If the assembly is going to be out of sight, an old-fashioned method that works well is to drill some small holes either side of the wire and wrap with fine copper wire and a few drops of epoxy.

I really like Don's idea of the laminated ply mount, but would probably only take the trouble to do that if the part was going to be visible. Very tidy workmanship, Don.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:08 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

J-bolts work also.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:24 AM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: kingwoodbarney

J-bolts work also.
Not seen in many hobby shops any more, but available.
http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...maincatagory=1
Old 03-24-2005, 07:11 AM
mrfliboy

The ply mount, mounts flush with the bottom of the upper wing. I had thought about the small holes thru the ply and copper strands wrapped, but was a little worried about the integrity of the wood. Leaning toward the brass strip wrapped at the edge if possible.
Great ideas, thanks. Hopefully this weekend can have the upper wing mounted again.
BTW the plane is my avatar. I'm changing the Q-35 to a G62 ( I can get rid of a 1-1/4 lb lead weight in the nose) and redoing the upper wing incidence and the stab incidence. AUW is 23 plus. Heavy bird to say the least. Trying to get rid of the knee knocking experience each time its flown. Pretty bird to see in the air though. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:34 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or, just glue 2 pieces of 1/4" stock to each end of the Ply and drill a 3/16" hole in each, Then rough up the ends of the wire, and epoxy the wire into the holes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17300.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	248381  
Old 03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
mrfliboy

Great idea ther Minnflyer, that seems like the way to go. Maybe 1/4" spar material. Thanks for that one!!!