Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

setting up dual 8611's????

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

setting up dual 8611's????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:28 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting up dual 8611's????

i'm setting up dual aileron servos on my 35% using a matchbox and an inline amp meter.

i set the centers by using a square to ensure the servo arms were parallel to the hinge line. then i measured the load of outboard servo. it was 1.2 amps. i messed with the matchbox and the outboard servo endpoints and got the fully deflected load down to about .24 or .25 amps. now both servos read around .25 amps when fully deflected.

my question is simple, is that a good number?? what should i be trying to achieve with matching??
obviously its near going to be zero, so what is acceptable??

thanks
tony
Old 03-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: setting up dual 8611's????

I'm going to need to consult some of my notes out in the shop, but I think you may be a little on the high side. Perhaps the linkage is just a tad out of adjustment, OR, your flight surface is a lot heavier than mine. I was able to get both pairs of aileron servos down to .17 with a consistant .18

Michael, since you're in here right now, how does that fit with your experiences?

Oops! I just re-read your post, and had to come back in. I failed to note "fully deflected". In which case I believe you're in a good ballpark.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:15 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

.25A static deflected/loaded seems reasonable I suppose. However I believe you can do better.

Try reducing the ATV and see if current draw goes down, maybe your loading the servo at end-point with a slight bind.

I'd also recommend matching your mechanical linkage and travel arcs prior to attempting any electronic tuning. RCU Member Desert Pig has a very good how to posted in several threads. A quick search of DP's user name should bring it home.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael,

Thank you.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:49 PM
matus777

"I'd also recommend matching your mechanical linkage and travel arcs prior to attempting any electronic tuning. RCU Member Desert Pig has a very good how to posted in several threads. A quick search of DP's user name should bring it home. "

BINGO!

Then after doing this you will discover that the end points actually have a "RANGE"...by this i mean check your meter as you swing thru the arc to the end points. If you have a mid range bind, adjust that point a bit......you might then discover that your end point load is less.

I was able to adjust the arc (which is really your operating range most of the time) and actually improve the end point loads.....even without adjusting mechanical linkages (just as an experiment).

Old 03-24-2005, 04:53 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

how do you adjust the mid points without adjusts the center??

at rest (center) my loads is like 0.01 or 0.02. so i don't want to change center at all!!

thanks,
tony