Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin Engine Tip

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:25 PM
LEM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Engine Tip

Twin Engine Tip.

I flew my twin engine, Kadet Sr today, without assistance from one of the “old Pros.”
Did I know what I was doing? Not a clue!
Both engines, ( I bashed a kit ) were set at 2 ½ degrees outboard. ( wild guess )

Flight was without incident. Lost one engine after about 15 minutes. No problems.
If not for a loss of power, and change in noise, I may not have known it was dead.

The real lesson was taxi on the ground. I ran it back an forth on the runway, first with one engine, and then the other. One side was almost normal. The other took full rudder just to keep the plane in a straight line. Would recommend this test, for anything twin you are not sure off. If nothing else- it will give you an idea of what to expect when one dies. I’m going to put more throw into the rudder.

Engine RPM synch. Found this to be a non factor - EXCEPT at idle! Make sure that both engines are well broken in, and will idle without quitting. Middle to top RPM, out of synch could easily be handled with trim on the flight surfaces. If one dies on a landing approach you may find yourself with a hand full --

Have fun!

LEM
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Twin Engine Tip

I agree that rudder is very useful when flying a twin (OK, it's necessary) but wouldn't judge the amount needed based on ground handling.

Both my Twinstars and my Duellist needed less than 1/2 of the set rudder throw for straight and level flight. Speed will definitely effect how much rudder will be required.

The Twinstars were able to take off on one engine (25 FXs). The left was much easier than the right. It took full rudder to steer it straight down the runway. As it built up speed and the rudder started working there was less input required. After climb out and a decent speed was obtained, less than half of the throw was needed.

Hopefully that made some sense! [8D]
Old 03-25-2005, 01:08 AM
LEM

Tim,
Yes, you came through loud and clear.
What the ground handling did- most of all - was restore confidence.
My bashed Kadet Sr., was an idea I copied from one of our best fliers. It flew so great, I had to have one.
About the time I started mine, he sold his to another member. Engines got swapped and maybe a few other things. The new owner, was a very good, experienced flier.
First flight, he lost an engine, shortly after take off, lost it, and did major damage.

The original owner, got the bone pile back, and after a lot of work, put it back together.
Again - engine swaps and a few other things.
Next flight, with the original owner, same situation. Engine died. He simply regained control, flew it around the field on one engine, and landed it.

I was a witness to both incidents, and came down with a very bad case of “cold feet.”
Looked like my plane would be a hanger queen. ( I am not an experienced flier )

The time spent, with ground handling, on the runway, restored my confidence. Now I know I can deal with the dreaded engine out. Back to having fun.

I have a Twin Star ARF sittin’ under the bench, waiting to be put together.
These twins are a real blast - once you get past the horror stories -

LEM
Old 03-25-2005, 03:31 PM
TCBLightning
My Feedback: (5)

Glad your having fun with twins! My first was a Twinstar less than a year after I started flying.

I have a few horror stories myself with many more to come. We're addicted to the challenge, frustration, and excitement all at the same time and our fellow flyers call us crazy! I think that's where the term "twinsanity" came from.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:44 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All:

I have not bought a single engined kit for many years. I must admit I've gotten one ARF single, the RCM 40 when Hoibby People was giving a free engine with the plane at its regular price. I am still enjoying it.

So far, just this year, I've gotten four more twins. The latest is the CFedar Hobbies Twin Stick - it just came in the door a few minutes ago.

Bill.