Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

tips on converting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

tips on converting

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 07:17 PM
RobertWilliams
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips on converting

hello

I just got a BIg lazy bee in a trade and it has the rubber bands to hold the wing on, our club prezz also has this plane , but I cant get over to see it, plus with the covering it's hard to see into the wing, the plane is the 72" wing span and I'mm putting a .70 os 4s on it, the clubs prezz says I need to covert it to a bolt on wing, his bolts on, and I was needing tips from someone with this plane on how to conver it and still have it look good...

and I guess also I could use some advice on where to add alirons to it or not, I have only flew one plane that didnt have alirons and it scared the fire out of me every time I made a turn...if the advice "is" to add the alirons, any tips on how whould be greatly helpfull, also if anyone know a webpage with pics on how to do whatI want to try to do would help...

thank you
Old 09-24-2002, 03:05 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sky Bomber.....

You have 4 things to think about....and it may not be worth the effort....
1. You'll need two dowels sunk into the leading edge of the wing to hold it on, about two inches long. The problem is...there is no wood in behind the leading edge to help support the dowels.
This extra wood has to be added before the wing is covered.

2. You need a nice plywood piece, about 3/16', in the front of the "cabin/wing" area for the dowels to fit into.

3. You need some extra wood also in the trailing edge area for the hold-down bolts to go through. Again, these have to be added before the wing is covered. Usually, small pieces of plywood ( half-dollar size ) are either set into the wing, or just glued on to the tops....to prevent smashing of the wing when the bolts are tightened.

4. And of course you will have to add some sturdy rear wing hold-down plates.

All these things have to be taken into consideration when your building the plane, if you are going to have a bolt-down wing.

Add Step #5...IMHO, forget the ailerons, it won't fly any better with them.

BTW...I fly a small Lazy-Bee....with the rubber bands.

Dave.