Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tinting Canopies: what dye colors=what results

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tinting Canopies: what dye colors=what results

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 08:30 AM
runover1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinting Canopies: what dye colors=what results

Howdy RCU Members! I am looking at tinting a few canopies soon and want to know what you guys have used to make different colors.

Now understand, I don't want to paint them! I know about the Ritt Dye with 2 parts black 1 part Navy blue too.

What I am wondering is how some people got red, yellow or green tints on there canopies. I am willing to experiment with some scrap plastic if I get the right dyes to use first. I will post photos as well.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:20 AM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tinting Canopies: what dye colors=what results

I'm currently building a Super Skybolt, and have been looking for a green tint solution. Would appreciate all tips!

Mike Irwin
Purcellville, VA
[email protected]
Old 04-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I know you said that you did not want to paint but on some plastics the dye will not interact enough to color the plastic.
After years of experimenting I took the easy way out and started using the small spray cans of transparent colors that the model car builders use.
By spraying light dust coats on the inside of the canopy you can get the desired degree of tint plus with a little practice you can do shading to have darker areas over the pilots head and lighter on the sides. The paint drys shiny on the inside leaving a transparent tint that is protected from fuel or scratching.
As for colors there is just about anything out there that you would probably want to put on a model.
ORIGINAL: runover1

Howdy RCU Members! I am looking at tinting a few canopies soon and want to know what you guys have used to make different colors.

Now understand, I don't want to paint them! I know about the Ritt Dye with 2 parts black 1 part Navy blue too.

What I am wondering is how some people got red, yellow or green tints on there canopies. I am willing to experiment with some scrap plastic if I get the right dyes to use first. I will post photos as well.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:36 PM
runover1

Do you have any photos?
[quote]ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle

I know you said that you did not want to paint but on some plastics the dye will not interact enough to color the plastic.
After years of experimenting I took the easy way out and started using the small spray cans of transparent colors that the model car builders use.
By spraying light dust coats on the inside of the canopy you can get the desired degree of tint plus with a little practice you can do shading to have darker areas over the pilots head and lighter on the sides. The paint drys shiny on the inside leaving a transparent tint that is protected from fuel or scratching.
As for colors there is just about anything out there that you would probably want to put on a model. [quote]
Old 04-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Gremlin Castle

If you can bear with me for a few days I will try to take some photos and post them here.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Gremlin Castle

If you can bear with me for a few days I will try to take some photos and post them here.

Here is one that I am currently flying that has had the canopy tinted with transparent blue paint on the inside of the canopy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80885.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	252589  
Old 04-01-2005, 10:46 PM
runover1

Man, is everything bigger in Texas? Nice job.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:16 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I've been saying for years that you're really missing the boat if you're still messing around with that RIT dye hocus-pocus.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:33 AM
runover1

What brand of paint do you use?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:13 AM
JC

I have to agree with some of the other comments about using dye to tint. It is a messy project. Much, much simpler to use the spray cans. I used Pactra Spray Tint and had good results and that was my first attempt with the spray cans.

Good luck,

JC
Old 04-02-2005, 01:49 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Testors Transparent.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:59 PM
The Hun

I acheived a great Green tint ( like the old tinting in car winshields) Using three packages of RIT SEA FOAM GREEN in a 5 gallon pale and near boiling water. ( the hotter the water , the faster and darker the tint will adhere, so dont walk away or you may over tint). I would also like to say that my canopy is huge , so you may be able to use less Dye and a smaller container if your canopy allows. Hope that helps