Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 06:32 PM
CraigN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie

Hi all just to put you in the picture im using my husbands username to get a feel of rcuniverse, The story goes he is into the 1/5th scale cars and i am looking for a new hobby which you guessed it helicopters!![:-] we have bought a Honey bee2 cp this means nothing much to me yet but am determind to try it, It is second hand of his favorite market "ebay" and when we opened the box theres no instructions !! on the handsets there is ail &ele in normal and thr & rud in rev!! whith the 3d switch pressed back is this right? Although we don't know nothing about flying he says im to find out my self as it's my hobby so sod him!! is this in the easier 4channel mode or what? Also when i plug in the battary to charge why does the red light flash fast and the green light flash slow? he has told me to look up a lipo bat and says they are bad news if not looked after ?? Help

I am new on this forum in fact any forum so please explain in simple terms !!!!???

Old 04-02-2005, 06:59 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: newbie

ok i am a newbie too so ill give you a run down of what i have gone through you can also look for posts i have made earlier this week and last week, i also have a honey bee 2 that came off ebay. Im not sure about the blinking light, my charger stays solid red until the battery is charged then stays solid green, and i dont know what it means when its blinking is this the wall charger?

i have run into some common problems with this bird, first of all once i got good enough to hover for awhile i was burning out tail motors left and right. i think im on my 4th one in 2 weeks so get spares, heli-fever.com is a good place for parts, the honey bee 2 is listed on that site as the esky 3D,

I also broke 2 sets of blades learning and am on my third set, they are 12 bucks a set so make sure you get extras of those, but the last set i put on the honey bee 2 were the ones made of plastic or foam they are called PE blades ( they are in the upgrade section on that site) and let me tell you for a beginner these blades make the helicopter 10 times more steady in a hover than the original balsa wood, the down side to these blades is they flex alot and you cannot do inverted flight with them ( but i cant yet so it dont matter) plus they are only $4 a pair instead of $12 for the balsa.

Get a spare main motor also mine seems to last only about 20 to 30 flights ( or should i say hovers).

Now your going to need to set up the helicopter mainly the blades, they are usually pretty close do a search on this site for "balancing blades" also your going to have to check the tracking of the blades, meaning looking from the side of the helicopter as you give it throttle, only give it enough throttle to just before it wants to lift off and check to see if the blade tips are at the same height you will be able to tell if one is higher than the other. If this is the case you will need to adjust the ball joints that are attached to the blades around the rotor head. you either have to give the lower blade more pitch to make it go higher or you need to give the higher blade less pitch to drop it down until they are both uniform when spinning.

You might also have to set up at least the proporitional setting on the 4 in 1 box thats at the front of the helicopter, throttle it up to just before it wants to take off and see if it starts to spin around in circles, check your transmitter to see where the trim is set for the rudder, the rudder should be on the left stick ( left to right axis) if it is, then the trim for that is just below the left stick. make sure its centered, is the heli still spinning on the ground making you dizzy? if so , adjust the trim to see if you can get it to stop spinning without touching the stick, If you cant and the trim is all the way to one side, you then need to either turn up or down the proportional setting on the 4 in 1 box on the front of the heli, disconnect the battery and reconnect it so it reinitializes with the new setting, then try again, if it gets worse then you turned the screw the wrong way and just keep tweaking it until the heli doesnt spin when the trim is roughly around the center position.

The paddles on top of the blades you have to make sure they are the same distance from the center, and also check that they are level with the swash plate, ( i just look at the black rectangular piece at the center top of the rotor and just make sure they are level with that) when i mean level i mean as in if you twisted them on and off the fly bar they are connected to, i know they will tip from one side to the other and thats ok its suppossed to do that.

Also go here and read i found this information helpful

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html

he has lessons there and all for you to go through. I cant th ink of anything else right now im sure i missed something

Old 04-03-2005, 06:11 PM
CraigN

Thanks for the help, But can any one help with the handset? from what we can work out nothing electrical has been removed and put back on the helicopter and i have just read in hear somewhere that the 3d switch must only be pulled forward whilst it's up in the air but when you got your hb2 are all the settings in the normal or reverse posistion or are they to in a mixxed pattern?
Old 04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

sorry i forgot to comment about the transmitter,

the 3d switch should be pused farthest away from you when you first start off, and if your learning dont even bother touching it , what the 3d switch does is basically bring up the idle to between 60 and 100% and when you move the throttle up and down it changes the pitch of the blades, if you go below halfway on the stick the blades push air out the top of the helicopter ( allowing the heli to fly upside down) and when you push the stick above halfway it gives the blades positive pitch and blows air downward ( the normal way) You will only be using this 3d switch when your flying skills have been honed and you want to try acrobatic maneuvers, but for basic hovering/ forward flight etc you do not need it.

My transmitter buttons are also mixed, i think 2 of them are up and two of them are down , this is normal.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:12 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone beginning in micro electric helis can learn a lot from the [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342744]EHBG[/link]
Old 04-03-2005, 09:36 PM
fireplug1111
My Feedback: (21)

CRAIGN....

Just a little advice.... AND PLEASE TAKE IT FROM A FIREMAN. Your Li Poly Battery and charger. They are dangerous if not looked after. What I mean by this is-- if its charged wrong it will burst into flames. I dont mean it will just smolder. IT WILL BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And if your not watching it or leave it unattened it can be very very damgerous. Please if the battery looks like its starting to swell up get rid of it..... Keep an eye on it, I feel mine to make sure it doesnt get hot. Please be care ful.

Alan