Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Lipo charger

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:50 PM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo charger

I know this has been asked before but I didn't wanna look through pages and pages of info. I am new to lipos but not new to helis and
I am looking for a wallcharger for my 3 cell 1200 Mah lithium battery to charge at home. I could also consider getting a field charger and a power supply but I am not sure which ones to get. I did see a charger at helihobby.com for $20 and $40 bucks and then I saw a charger at heli-fever for $15. The charger that came with my honey bee 2 is a crappy one that gets hot after around 5 minutes of use and charges my battery way too fast(20-25 min), shortening its life
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2005, 05:54 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Lipo charger

how many amps is the wall charger putting out, i think the one that came with my honey bee put out 1 amp or 1000 milliamps, Yours should be roughly the same, or no more than 1.2 amps at about 12.6 volts. If your wall charger was 1.2 amps it would take an hour to charge your battery, If your battery is charging in 20 minutes your either right and you have a bad charger, or your heli is not draining the battery down very much and it has a partial charge left.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:00 PM
spinnerbug

When it comes to LIPO batteries and correctness is of the utmost imortance, the Astro 109 is great!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:35 PM
casipak

1 amp at 12.6 volts. My heli stops flying normally at around 9.5 volts and that's when I start charging. I charge to about 12.6 volts.
Does your charger get hot?

Thanks but right now, I can't afford the astro
Old 04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
paedbo
My Feedback: (2)

I never checked the wall charger to see if it gets hot during charge ill try to charge a drained battery tomorrow with it, and let you know, whats more important is the battery getting warm during charging? because it shouldnt.

and when you say 9.5 volts this is testing the battery with a volt meter without a load on it?

because i have a device on mine that turns on a LED light when 9 volts is reached. However this is under load so when i disconnect the battery and then test it with a multimeter it actually says somewhere around 10.25 or 10.50 volts.

If your 9.5 voltage reading is without a load on the battery, then you have been draining the pack below 9 volts when its in use. Whether or not this has anything to do with your batt being fully charged in 20 minutes on your charger i dont know, but i know 9 volts for a 3 lipo pack is a safe limit to go by, i th ink actual damage to the lipo pack occurs if you go below 2.8, or maybe its 2.5 volts i forget.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:04 PM
casipak

My battery doesn't get warm during charging. I test the voltage right after I turn off the heli so there's no load. It reads around 9.5-9.7 and then in about 10 seconds, it raises to about 10-10.2.

What device do you use and where did you get it?

When I had my jabo, the charger also got hot, but maybe they are suppost to get a little hot when charging because they are not the best? I could discharge my nimh completely so it took some time to charge.

But my lipo seems to be performing very well, it's not swelling or getting warm.