Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

best glue for sheeting on foam wings

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

best glue for sheeting on foam wings

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
skrez
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best glue for sheeting on foam wings

Hi guys,
What is the best glue for adhearing 1/16 sheeting to foam wing cores? I hear that something like Gorilla wood glue works well? What is your taughts on that?

thanks,
Frank
Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 PM
campbec

Default RE: best glue for sheeting on foam wings

Hi skrez,

Check compatability on a scrap piece of foam first. Usuall contact cement is ok, but..........you have to be dead accurate the first time.

I generally use watered down PVA glue. I brush the glue onto both the skin and foam and allow to dry, (not touching or in place). I then position the sheeting, (you have all the time in the world to get it set up), then iron the sheeting in place. The heat from the iron activates the glue after positioning. I think this process is called "melding", what ever it is called it creates a really strong bond.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 04-06-2005, 12:03 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I have used Sig Core Bond and I have used Dave Brown's Sourgum. I think the Sig core bond works better. Contact cement is easy, just lay some waxed paper on the core first, adjust the position of the wing skin, and slide the waxed paper out.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Stratotanker
My Feedback: (3)

Finishing resin works well for me.

Chris
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Deadeye

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Polyurethane glue has a strong bond unaffected by heat or age. Just make sure you use the shucks and alot of weight to hold things in place.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:24 PM
scratchpc7

On the last set of foam cores that I have sheeted, I used Elmer's Ultimate Poly glue. I am pleased with the results. This method for me is much easier than epoxy or finishing resin.

Doug
Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

I use Elmers Ultimate glue... half the price of Gorilla glue and a tad lighter. same stuff basically

Spread a thin layer on the balsa sheet (about 1 oz) with a credit card enough to produce a nice sheen and then take a cheap 3" foam roller and roll it out. This does three things.

1. picks up any excess glue
2. creates an even coating over the sheet
3. helps to foam the glue slightly raising it slightly

Lightly mist the foam cores with an atomizer. This gets the glue to foaming and helps cure it. Use about 250lbs of weight on your shucks and let it cure for about 15-24 hrs. This is about the lightest and strongest method of building foam and balsa sheeted wings. I use carbon fiber tow for spars and high stress areas with very little weight gain and increased strength.

Wayne Galligan

ORIGINAL: skrez

Hi guys,
What is the best glue for adhearing 1/16 sheeting to foam wing cores? I hear that something like Gorilla wood glue works well? What is your taughts on that?

thanks,
Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63221.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	254808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98581.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	254809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95429.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	254810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94802.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	254811  
Old 04-08-2005, 12:17 PM
DMyer
My Feedback: (2)

I guess I am old fashioned.... I still use West Systems epoxy resin. I also have used the Elmers Poly glue. I see virtually no difference in the results either in strength or finished weight. West Systems has two advantages over the poly in two areas.... the trailing edges of my pylon racers are a full sheeted composite of balsa, glass and carbon tow... the West Systems sets up these type of structures a little bit stiffer than the poly does which is important when I cut the ailerons into a 160 MPH high G-load wing. The other area West is superior is shelf life. The poly only last about a year once opened so youy have to buy an amount equal to what you will use in that time frame. I get West at any marine store by the quart and it last for many years and is good for many things other than sheeting.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:47 PM
TAZ

every one that I know that makes thier own foam wings uses "copydex" it is a latex glue that is genraly used for arts and crafts but works really well
Old 04-09-2005, 04:52 PM
slapshot
My Feedback: (15)

Elmers ProBond
Old 04-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Molar mender

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am also a ProBond user but I vacuum bag also. I use about 6" of vacuum with 1 lb density foam and go up from there with the higher density foams. It has enough working time that I can place foam, carbon fiber and sheeting all in one operation.

RH
Old 04-13-2005, 07:51 AM
jmiracle
My Feedback: (9)

I second this method. Very easy to get excellent results this way.
Built my first carden with probond. 35% Extra with DA100 and canister mufflers.....RTF weight less than 28lbs! Who says Cardens are heavy??!!

ORIGINAL: Molar mender

I am also a ProBond user but I vacuum bag also. I use about 6" of vacuum with 1 lb density foam and go up from there with the higher density foams. It has enough working time that I can place foam, carbon fiber and sheeting all in one operation.

RH
Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Paternguy
My Feedback: (1)

Finishing resin, Zpoxy works well. Just be sure to sand the cores with 600 grit, to get them nice and smooth. Thsi prevents excessive epoxy build up and helps to keep the weight down.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:31 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I make foam core floats that I sheet with 1/16" balsa and I use 3M 78 spray glue for foam. It is a contact cement that I spray on both surfaces, wait about 1-2 minutes then press together. The old formula 3M 77 was good also, but now they use acetone in the formula....Seaplane