Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Balancing prop hubs

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Balancing prop hubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:49 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Balancing prop hubs

I've noticed on 3 different brand props that the hubs were pretty far off. From Pro Zinger 20x10, Bambula 20x8, and Airwild 21x8 NX, they all took some epoxy on one side of the hub to balance. The tips were pretty close to being balanced on all of them except the Zinger. But the hubs were all off. I guess all I have to say is to watch this on your props since this can cause a lot of vibration on your engines and planes. I think a lot of lost mufflers happed from this vibration too.

By the way I used a brand new Dubro prop balancer to balance all of these. It's a great balancer for big props.

This is how I balance: Do the tips before the hub since a heavy tip on top will fall and make you think it's the hub. Also a heavy tip on the bottom will make you think the hub is balanced. I add clear coat to the light tip on the prop to balance the tips. The way to check your hubs is to put the prop straight up and down and see which way it falls (make sure the tips are balanced first). Then I sand and add 5 minute epoxy to the light side of the hub. Keep pushing the epoxy with a toothpick if it starts to move out of place. Keep doing this until it sets.

I know people have their ways of doing this but this works for me. The props are dead nuts perfect when I'm all done.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balancing prop hubs

You have totally confused me. How can you balance just the tips of a prop? The hub and tips are all one piece.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:39 AM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO this is a waste of time and effort. If you balance the prop nut you might as well balance the entire engine completely put together. IE washer, drive washer, crankshaft etc. I have never balanced a spinner yet and didn't have any problems.

Good Luck
Old 04-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that what he means? Balancing a seperate prop hub?
Old 04-09-2005, 04:20 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No I mean balancing the actual prop, not the nut, washer etc. The hole can be drilled of center and the prop will not balance correctly. Also varying wood density can cause it. If you are confused or not interested don't worry about it. Most people don't balance the props, I prefer to and actually like doing it (I'm sick I know).

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

Is that what he means? Balancing a seperate prop hub?
Old 04-09-2005, 05:35 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry Joe , I thought you where talking about the spinner /prop nut.