Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Lanier Giant Stinger

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Giant Stinger

OK - It aint one of those shiny new ARF's but it's my first gasser and I hear they fly great - I'm doing some Fuse Mods to make it look like a 1940's long nosed racer - built up stringer and sheeting instead of abs, rounded tail feathers and wingtips - my question is Do you guys think this bird will handle the power of a ZDZ 80? I understand they need the nose weight and they come out pretty heavy by today's standards. I fly at 4800ASL and I will strengthen the firewall - alum angle,dowels etc. I really want to get the H9 Edge but I picked this up for $100 so I'm gonna fly it this year and build the edge over the winter but I really only want to buy one motor - what do you say?
Old 04-24-2005, 09:01 AM
AU flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Lanier Giant Stinger

I can't speak to the 80 but I'm running a DA-50 on mine and it flies great. Sounds like I modified mine similar to what you have in mind. I just wanted to eliminate all that plastic. The biggest problem I had was finding room for the kill switch servo, choke servo and ignition. There is not much room up front. Attached are a couple of pictures, I have the wheel pants installed now also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64984.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	262251  
Old 04-24-2005, 04:24 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

There's one at our field that hovers easily with a G-62. I'm guessing the ZDZ80 weighs no more, maybe less, and pulls harder, so have at it!
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Ekim
My Feedback: (1)

I just finished my Giant Stinger and have about 6 flights on it. It is also my first gasser with a G-62 for power. For lack of any original ideas I trimmed it somewhat like the Stinger 60 ARF. I sure like your idea of getting rid of all the plastic and rounding off the wing tips and tail feathers. I had decided if I ever built another one that's exactly what I would do. I did make some mods but only structural. Other Stinger veterans strongly advised me to add another ply doubler on each side of the fuse from aft of the wing TE to the firewall. It seems the fuse is subject to failure in the area of the wing LE. Also was advised to pin the firewall and to turn the landing gear around to get rid of the reverse rake. If you do a search I think you will still find those threads. I also installed a pull-pull system for the rudder. The plane came in a bit heavy at 22 lbs but most of my planes are heavy as I tend to over-build. However it flies great. I'm running a 22-8 prop and I think it would do better with a 22-10. I think you should give that ZDZ80 a try. According to manufacturer's specs the ZDZ80 is a bit lighter than the G-62. Good luck, have fun and fly safe!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73698.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	262782  
Old 04-25-2005, 09:59 PM
AU flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Your reply reminded me, I also had problems with the plane nosing over when taxing with the specified setup on the landing gear. Instead of turning the landing gear around, I moved it forward a couple of inches and have not had any more problems. I did not do any of the reinforcing which you mentioned...I've got my fingers crossed on those problems.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:52 AM
Supermod56
My Feedback: (36)

I have ran G-62's, Moki 3.6 Twins, 4.2 Sachs, and a 3W 78 Twin on my last one, talk about nose weight!!! But it was great!! I normally ran a 3W 60K with a K&S pipe on it, that was one bad Machine!!! I'm putting together another one with a 60, the last one got piled a couple years ago screwing around. I think the ZDZ 80 would work, but it will shake the thing apart, the front end is not too strong, you have to really stiffen it up. Go with 50-60cc and you will love it. And I never had nose-over problems, don't know what the deal is there.

Tom
Old 04-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Stargazer
My Feedback: (3)

I installed a 1/8" Ply doubler that goes from the firewall back to include the wing doublers - added about 6oz but I understand the nose breaks off there, I am also planing to sandwich fiberglass and 1" alum angle all around the firewal/fuse joints - would tha be enough beefing for the 80 or should I just bag it and get the 60? I really want the 80 for the H9 Edge so I'm only planning to fly this bird for this season and then build the Edge. If I go with the 60 I don't think I'll need the angle, just dowel the firewall?