Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Blade Spar or wing tube??? Which is better?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Blade Spar or wing tube??? Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blade Spar or wing tube??? Which is better?

Working on a project and I'm looking to get some feedback on the stronger/prefered method to attach wings....
Old 04-30-2005, 08:04 PM
3D ONdaEDGE

Default RE: Blade Spar or wing tube??? Which is better?

I have seen the Composite ARF Extras with the blade spare, and I have a DR hobbies Extra, which use the same constrution, basically it is a Comp ARF except with a wing tube and a few other changes. I went with the DR hobbies plane mainly because of the tube. I have seen the blade spars in the Comp ARF broken or cracked from the stresses of flying. I have not seen a wing tube bent or broken due to flying. Also, if you will notice, the newer Comp ARFs like the 2.3 Extra and the 2.6 Yak, have a wing tube instead of the blade spar, so the tube must be better.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:21 PM
Levi_Jordan
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize the new Comp ARF's went round

I've been doing alot of thinking about this one and seems like the tube will distribute the load accross a larger area... where the blade spar applies it to the opposite wing, but only in that small overlap into the wing root.....
Old 04-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I think that the average model will fare better using tubular spars.
The Bearcat in the picture uses a blade spar but may be the only one of the twelve made still flying. A couple of them in unlimited racing folded their wings in high G turns. The spar knifed through the center section of the spar box.
For some scale applications and for planes flown in a scale fashion Blade spars work well. Byron used it on a regular basis.
ORIGINAL: 3D_Foamy

Working on a project and I'm looking to get some feedback on the stronger/prefered method to attach wings....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77377.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	265220