Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Lateral Balance

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Lateral Balance

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:45 AM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lateral Balance

I was just wondering if doing a lateral balance on your plane was truly necessary or is it just a waste of time. Thanks [8D]
Old 05-01-2005, 12:56 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lateral Balance

Lateral balance is always good, especially if the engine is mounted sideways. You
will have a lot of weight hanging out the right side of the plane. If the engine is
mounted upright or inverted, the "out of balance" is not as noticeable.

FBD.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:08 AM
RC-Captain

Thanks FBD , my engine is mounted 3/4 toward inverted . I'm trying to do it now , I don't like the fact of putting lead underneath the wing but if it works what the hey .
Old 05-01-2005, 01:42 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Unbalanced wing will promote tip-stalling. Most planes need no more than a quarter or half an ounce somewhere out toward the tip. If you have your engine side-mounted with thrust offset, then the crankshaft, which is the heaviest piece of steel in the engine, will lie on the left side of the centerline. With a side-mounted engine I usually try to get the battery pack up against the light side of the fuselage to save ballast in the wing.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:54 AM
RC-Captain

I just balanced it and didn't have to add any lead [sm=thumbup.gif]. Got lucky I guess
Old 05-01-2005, 04:00 AM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually for this I will check which is the light side and put the reciever and battery over that side. Seams to work ok for me.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:39 AM
RC-Captain

GRANT ED, thanks for the tip.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:33 AM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the few times that I had to add weight to the wingtip, I didn't have to add but 1/8 - 1/4 oz. I think that's because the weight is so far out there. At any rate, I will make a neat slice in the covering, and install the weight securely inside the wing so that it isn't noticeable. It's easy enough to patch the slice in the covering material.

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Deadeye

I just laterally balanced a GP Skybolt with an inverted Magnum 120. I needed 1 oz of lead in the right wingtip. Seemed like a lot, but the off balance is defintley in the fuse. That big exhaust hanging off to the left is heavy.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For Deadeye: Same plane, same engine, same configuration. Should e ready for maiden in next couple of weeks. Think I'll try a 90° elbow to get the muffler under the fuse. Was it tail-heavy with the O.S. 1.20? Thanks for the heads-up.

Mike
Old 05-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Deadeye

mirwin,
I used a Magnum 120, not the OS, but I imagine they are about the same weight. Right now, I balance perfectly with the RX and battery on CG. But, I also did some 'lattice work' on the fuselage to lighten up this known-to-be tail heavy plane. You can read about my mods [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2496934/anchors_2496934/mpage_1/key_skybolt%252Clightening/anchor/tm.htm#2496934]here.[/link] I also made a hatch in the top for fuel tank access, and made the landing gear area accessible. Mine will also be ready to maiden in the next few weeks. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:59 PM
RC-Captain

Just an update of the Extra 300 .25 . I wrecked it today . I posted pics in the crash room