Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

advice about planes and da50

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

advice about planes and da50

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 05:15 AM
SpaceW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice about planes and da50

hello!
I ask you about planes and da 50 on the behalf of a friend of mine. (because a problem avoid him surfing the internet!)
He plans to buy a Da 50. He loves how this engine this engine is design!( and so do i ) Off course he needs a plane to install the da.
He aims at buying a plane able to fly 3d.He has seen tree planes and i would like that you tell me which plane has the best performances ( in flight and in particular in 3d and the quality of the kit).
Here are the planes : *composite arf extra 2*2 http://www.composite-arf.com/ar/Catalog

* 3w plane : extra330s 205cm or giles 202 210cm http://www.3w-modellmotoren.de/engli...ellmotoren.htm
NB: you can find this planes on cactusaviation in the Usa.

thank you
Cheers
Space
Old 05-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: advice about planes and da50

Have you thought about the Colombo Anderson 27% 300L?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:35 AM
SpaceW

thank you Steve; But my friend would rather buy an arf plane and not an arc.

Besides i have seen an edge 540 and a yak on cactus aviation( http://www.cactusaviation.com/Produc.../products.html )
(katna and giles coming soon).Have you got information about these planes?
If you don't know the planes i have introduced could you advice me the best arf 3d plane for a da50cc?
Thanks!
bye!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Easy does it
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

May i point you in the direction of Wild Hare r/c Tom's planes are fantastic value and I believe he can drop ship to you
Old 05-01-2005, 10:19 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

If this is your first 50cc plane, I would also recommend the Wilde Hare Extra or Edge. These are outstanding ARFs, they are built well and the support is great. Even it its not your first plane you will be hard-pressed to find a better built and flying 50cc offering.

The Comp-Arf is a nice plane, but the 2.3 is nearly the same price as most 35% planes. It will also need a 1/4 wave tuned pipe in order to wake up the 50 as the plane is heavier than the wood planes. That 2.3 airframe won't have unlimited performance on a DA50.

The 3W is a nice plane, but a lot more money for about the same as what the WH gives you.

I have built up nearly all 50cc planes avialable. The plane I have for my 3D and just fun flying... the Wild Hare Extra LX
I also have a 50cc BME Edge, very similar design to the WH.

If I was going to put the money a Comp-Arf or 3W plane costs, I would move up in size.

DP

Old 05-01-2005, 10:33 AM
SpaceW

ok! thank you! It is not our first 2m plane : my friend and i have already built a 2m planes but these planes were always powered by glow engines! Of course this solution costs a lot of money, so we want to buy a gas engine and the performances of the Da are very amazing( and we love how it is designed!!); We won't buy a plane over 2m10 because it is too expensive for us so we look up all the websites. We are listening all the propositions! I have seen Aerotech ( yack) and Aeroworks;
Thank you!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Here it comes again...Extremeflight 50cc Yak. It is easily the lightest, best berforming 3d 50cc plane available. More info at http://www.extremeflightrc.com/produ...ml/87Yak54.htm and some video at http://www.extremeflightyak.shutupandfly.com/videos.htm
The Comp arf 2.3 Yak is heavy and absolutely requires a tuned pipe. You will have $3000 invested it it, less radio and receiver. The reason people are recommending a larger aircraft of another manufacturer is because you will be able to get them at a similar finished price.
If it was the 2M extra you were talking about, DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!!!! Sure it will have outrageous vertical, but will fly like a TANK!!! It is way too small and heavy...
Old 05-01-2005, 12:39 PM
SpaceW

thank you bodyworks!
If i understand you advice me the yak extreme flight and you think the 2*2 extra composite arf is too heavy!
And what about the product from aerotech? from aeroworks?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Harrier3D

Hello,

I can tell you about Aerotech since I have owned 2 of them. The Velox Rev II 50cc is a very good plane and an excellent price. I have another on order. Great products, customer service and vaule.

Later
Old 05-01-2005, 01:03 PM
SpaceW

Thank you Harrier! Can you give more informations about your Velox.( quality, flight...)
For Bodyworks: are you blaming the 2*2 composite-arf extra for being too heavy? Because i have checked in all the websites ( aerotech, aeroworks, extremeflight, comopsitearf..........; and in general the wing area is about 1400sq inch and the weight is about 14,15lbs. How can you claim that the extremeflight yak54 is better? can you give me more informations?
thanks
bye
Old 05-01-2005, 01:47 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: SpaceW

thank you bodyworks!
If i understand you advice me the yak extreme flight and you think the 2*2 extra composite arf is too heavy!

I was recommending you look at wild hare if you want to fly THIS YEAR. The Extreme, Aerotech etc are out of stock and will be for a long time to come.
WH keeps a schedule and hits it every time.

DP
Old 05-01-2005, 02:01 PM
Y N C

The BME 87" YAk 54 coming at the end of june $520.00US. all carbon stuff, 15.4lb with BME 50.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Harrier3D

Hello,

Do you work for Aerotech or Extreme Flight? How do you know the status. The Veloxs fles excellent. I think the YAK is new and is not in production yet. I suggest you talk to the manufacturer for proper information.

Later
Old 05-01-2005, 04:20 PM
flier
My Feedback: (7)

I'd offer a second vote for the Wild Hare / DA-50 combo
Wild Hare will get you the best plane for the price!
Service that the other Manufs. are trying to catch up to!
http://wildharerc.com/
Check them out, so many pilots can't be wrong!
Old 05-01-2005, 05:48 PM
SpaceW

no,no! I don't work for aerotech but i have made some research so i am aware about the different planes. However i think that nothing worths the experience. In general all i have read flatter the quality of each plane that's why i need you to have an objective point of view. I 'm sorry if i overwelhm you with questions but as this kind of planes costs a lot of money my friend doesn't want to buy a plane and then to be disapointed. He wants to be sure that he will enjoy the plane he will buy! Unless to be very wealthy i think its a normal behaviour, don't you? So i make a warm welcome to each review of yours.
Bye!
Old 05-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Harrier3D

Hello,

Aerotech has been around since 1992. So you can see why they have the selection they do with all those years. I have seen them in High Flight for a long time. Good luck with your decision. Also I was directiing the response to Desertpig for knowing a companys status when Im sure they dont unless they talk to them everyday.

Later
Old 05-01-2005, 07:13 PM
cbk07
My Feedback: (64)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's funny!
Old 05-01-2005, 07:37 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: desertpig

thank you bodyworks!

I was recommending you look at wild hare if you want to fly THIS YEAR. The Extreme, Aerotech etc are out of stock and will be for a long time to come.
WH keeps a schedule and hits it every time.

DP
What do you consider a long time? The second shipment of EF 50cc Yaks will be here as early as a month...even if not, it will definitely be before this year. If I had the choice to wait for an EF Yak or buy, say, a GP Patty CRAPstaff just because they were still avaiable, I'd choose to wait. Did it ever occur to you that the planes that ARE currently available are so because they are not very popular or because people are waiting for something better???
Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: bodyworks
What do you consider a long time? The second shipment of EF 50cc Yaks will be here as early as a month...even if not, it will definitely be before this year. [/quote]

So is the normal wait time a month or two? Im prolly gonna get the EF as my next gasser but wont have the $$ until Oct..if the wait time is 4- months then I want to get on the list now
Old 05-01-2005, 08:14 PM
bodywerks

Thank you Harrier! Can you give more informations about your Velox.( quality, flight...)
For Bodyworks: are you blaming the 2*2 composite-arf extra for being too heavy? Because i have checked in all the websites ( aerotech, aeroworks, extremeflight, comopsitearf..........; and in general the wing area is about 1400sq inch and the weight is about 14,15lbs. How can you claim that the extremeflight yak54 is better? can you give me more informations?
thanks
bye
"are you blaming the 2*2 composite-arf extra for being too heavy?"
Yes, it would be too heavy with a 50cc gas engine to fly well.

"the wing area is about 1400sq inch and the weight is about 14,15lbs.
Where did you get that figure? Comp-arf doesn't provide wing area on their site and I gurantee you it is in the area of 1100 square inches - a HUGE difference!!! Even at 13 lbs, that would be over a 27 ounce wingloading and that plane is only the size of a pattern ship[:'(]
The extremeflight Yak has 1450 squares and can easily be built to 15 pounds even (mine weighs 15.2lbs). It is MUCH larger than the comp-arf and only has a 24 ounce wingloading. Trust me, it flies like a kite.
As for the others, yes they are all around 1400 squares, but some are less and none are as high as the EF Yak. If they are, they are heavier...
the Wildhare extra, for example
Wing Span 84â€
Fuselage length 76†tip of tail to tip of spinner
Wing area 1365 sq. in.
Weight 16-18 lbs.
...smaller wingspan, less wing area, and heavier

Aeroworks makes a 31% edge but it is too heavy, IMO, For killer performance out ofa DA 50...
Wing Span 92"
Wing Area 1400 Sq. In.
Length 84"
Weight 16 to 18 pounds
Engine 3.2 to 4.2 Gasoline
okay, bigger wingspan, but less area and heavier
They do make a Katana, but...
Wing Span 84"
Wing Area 1270 Sq. In.
Length 75"
Weight 16 to 18 pounds
Engine 50 cc Gasoline
Radio 4 Channels
...smaller wingspan, way less wing area, and heavier

and Aerotech. The only 50cc arf they offer is the Velox...
Wing Span 81"
Wing Area 1310
Length 74"
Weight 14.5 15.5 lbs
...smaller wingspan, less wing area, and about the same weight.

The only thing that might make some of these better is price, but you are willing to spend $1000 on a Comparf, so that doesn't apply. The other thing is they may be available right this second...like I said, I'd rather wait for the best than settle!
I am not saying these other aircraft are crap, but they are not as big or light as the EF Yak and I am sure they will fly fine, but not quite like the EF Yak...this is the type of plane that you will create new maneuvers with, because it will easily accomplish anything you can dish out...

Old 05-01-2005, 09:05 PM
bodywerks

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah Johnson

ORIGINAL: bodyworks

What do you consider a long time? The second shipment of EF 50cc Yaks will be here as early as a month...even if not, it will definitely be before this year.
So is the normal wait time a month or two? Im prolly gonna get the EF as my next gasser but wont have the $$ until Oct..if the wait time is 4- months then I want to get on the list now
Call Chris and talk to him. You may or may not need to be on a list. I got one of the last available from the first shipment. I, technically only had to wait about 3 weeks because I wasn't in the loop with the others. Others had been waiting for this plane for over a year. All I can say is, if you are in the market for the best (IMO) 50cc aerobatic aircraft available today, it's worth the wait.
Someone also mentioned customer service as a key selling point...
There was a minor issue with the first run of Yaks (very minor) that freaked everybody out. Chris immediately responded with a "fix" option and video, and offered a $100 refund to those that wanted to fix it themselves, or he would replace the fuse, free of charge and would not ask for the defective one back. This is a guy that stands behind his products!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:04 PM
famousdave

ORIGINAL: Harrier3D

Hello,

Do you work for Aerotech or Extreme Flight? How do you know the status. The Veloxs fles excellent. I think the YAK is new and is not in production yet. I suggest you talk to the manufacturer for proper information.

Later
I won't argue the velox flies nice that is why I ordered one. I was on the list for a long time, and, from what I can tell the Velox is still not here yet. If you can buy a Velox II or Extreme Yak today, now, right away , and in this month then I will eat my words. I can buy a WH today.

The velox has been coming in "any time now" for 5 months and Chris just sold out of the last run of Yaks. A new shipment is due but due is not in stock.
I don't fault the mfrs, the supply chain is pretty dicey, but when I said in stock I meant in stock. I do know the mfrs, I know then well I have been waiting patiently for a long time and have talked to them on many occasions. John at Aerotech is a good guy trying to do good but struggling with suppliers just like everyone else dealing with China.

The BME Yak looks nice, but if its covered in that China Kote crap that will take it off my list. I have one of their Edges right now. It was a lot heavier than advertised and covered in China Kote, but after a little work it flies very well and it looks great in UltraCote. The WH and BME Edges are similar, but I still give the vote to WH for using Ultracote instead of ChinaKote. I have a Wild Hare plane too and it flies just like the BME - great on a DA50.

DP
Old 05-02-2005, 07:33 AM
Ricmussman
My Feedback: (24)

Do you have your DA50 yet? The last time I checked the DA was 3-6weeks away and so it the EF YAK. Sounds too good to be true for someone that is just now starting to look. I bought one of the EF Yaks, it was an "All White" one and I covered it with a "Red Bull" scheme. It truly is a sweet product. I am confident that anyone that gets one of these ARF's will be completley satisfied. It comes with stock Carbon Fiber spar tubes, comp landing gear, control horns, servo arms, and even titanium rods. Not stopping their it has wing bags, stab bags, and a fuse bag, also comes with all Dubro hardware. What is not to like? My suggestion is apparent,

I also have a Planes Plus Extra 330, it is nice too but it is not near the same quality as the EF. Like a minor league team playing in the majors (or the Indians[:@] playing the Yankees) I have only flown the 330 once and I had some balance issues so I grounded it, but it is ready now... I am sure it will fly well, but not great like the Yak.

The Wild Hare planes looked good to me as well, I might get one of their Sukhois when they come out.

I was not interested in the Velox, and the Chip Hyde Vision, Double Vision becuase they are not IMAC legal, though they all fly good. Areotek also just got some Yaks too and they look nice but who knows???

I thought about one of the World Models Ultimates..... Sweet with a DA50!

QQ has a 50cc yak coming, it is made at the same place the EF is made so availability is ???? It also isn't really a Yak 54, it is an Extra 300 config with a Yak body.

These are just a few of the great models that are out their in this wonderful hobby
Old 05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
bodywerks

Ricmussen, the QQ Yak is also smaller and heavier than the EF...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Josey Wales

ORIGINAL: Ricmussman

I bought one of the EF Yaks, it was an "All White" one and I covered it with a "Red Bull" scheme.
I didnt know you can get them in all white!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.