Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Never used one, some tell me I should....Now, where to get a good one????

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Never used one, some tell me I should....Now, where to get a good one????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:49 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never used one, some tell me I should....Now, where to get a good one????

NECK STRAP that is.

I have been told that I should try using a neck strap. I figure if I am going to get one, I may as well get a good one. You guys have any ideas on what to get?

Thanks,
Old 05-01-2005, 08:56 PM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default RE: Never used one, some tell me I should....Now, where to get a good one????

If you run futaba, get futaba...jr, get jr. They are about the same. I have been flyintg without since I got back into flying, but I am slowly working my way toward it. The reason it works is because it keeps your arms at the same angle, as well as the transmitter. It makes muscle memory for a given maneuver, say a 4 point, easier to learn and be more consistant because you are only dealing with your thumbs. Some of the top pilots use trays, some don't, but I don't know any top pilot that doesn't at least use a strap...food for thought.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:17 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Never used one, some tell me I should....Now, where to get a good one????

I always use a neck strap. It helps and now that I have gotten used to it, I feel naked without it if I forget to bring it with me
Old 05-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't fly without mine. I learned using a neck strap and found I had better control so I just got used to it.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:01 PM
pdfruth

I like this one;
http://www.servocity.com/html/transm...t_access_.html
Nice and wide... very comfy.

I learned to fly without a neck strap... flew with my thumbs too...
Took a lot of work to break those bad habits, but now that I'm flying with thumb & fore-finger, and a neck strap, I can't image it any other way.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:01 PM
wgeffon

I dont use one.
I think its 100% personal preference. I tried one this weekend and found myself still supporting the TX with my arms even though I had the strap on.
I dont like flipping a lot of switches and fly thumbs only.
I think the guys who flip a lot of switches and use the pinch method may like the strap for support since they may only have two or three fingers on the back of the radio.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:15 PM
CAPtain232

I am with you on this one Wayne.... I haven't ever even tried one long enough to get used to it.

Friends have been telling me though that if I use one long enough and get used to it, then I will never go back to being without. I fly forefinger and thumb and still feel like I have good control even without the strap. BUT, I thought I would give it a try and see if it is as good as they say.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Bob101

Tower Hobbies has a cheap red one that works pretty well. In fact it's almost exacly like the Futaba one they sell except it says "tower" on it rather than futaba and it's like 1/4 the price. It's only like $3-$4 defently cheap enough to throw in on an order and try it out.

I use em and like em but I'm a fingertip flyer - people who fly thumbs don't seem to like em.

If you REALLY want a nice one go to a well stocked sporting goods store/outfitter or some place like cabelas.com and get a neoprene one made for binoculars. They have a bit of give to them and are cushoined.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:41 PM
CAPtain232

If you REALLY want a nice one go to a well stocked sporting goods store/outfitter or some place like cabelas.com and get a neoprene one made for binoculars. They have a bit of give to them and are cushoined.

Now that is the sort of idea I am looking for...... If I don't like it, I want to be able to sell it. Something like this sounds like it would be nice enough to resell.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:51 AM
martyg
My Feedback: (42)

Saxophone strap at a music store.
Hardware stores have assortments of small spring clips if you don't like the one supplied with the strap.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:12 AM
JuniorPilot

Alot of top pilots aren't using anything. http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...9/IMG_7642.jpg
And Andrew Jesky
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...9/IMG_7845.jpg
Chip Hyde
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...9/IMG_7702.jpg
Jason Shulman
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...9/IMG_7690.jpg

Personally I don't like one either, makes me feel weird.
ORIGINAL: bodyworks

If you run futaba, get futaba...jr, get jr. They are about the same. I have been flyintg without since I got back into flying, but I am slowly working my way toward it. The reason it works is because it keeps your arms at the same angle, as well as the transmitter. It makes muscle memory for a given maneuver, say a 4 point, easier to learn and be more consistant because you are only dealing with your thumbs. Some of the top pilots use trays, some don't, but I don't know any top pilot that doesn't at least use a strap...food for thought.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I fly both but I bought a Futaba strap first. It would not adjust out long enough. ( I like to hold the xmitter about belt high. ) The JR strap will adjust out longer.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:29 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, we all do, just not flying foamies...
Old 05-02-2005, 08:49 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I started using one two years ago. It has improved my flying. My hands and arms are just more relaxed with it. I use the Futaba one. Bought it for $8 at the LHS.

David
Old 05-02-2005, 09:36 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have ever taken a plane off out of trim its a lot easier to adjust trim with a tray or a neckstrap, I started with a strap and now fly with a tray, sometime's 20 minute flights and the tray really helps.
just my preference....everyone is different
Old 05-02-2005, 09:50 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I've been on the flight line during events and at last year's shootout. As Jason mentioned I did not see many flyers without neckstraps.

That said, I don't use one.... maybe I should.. I can't hold a line for S**T !

DP
Old 05-03-2005, 06:30 AM
scottfl78

Make sure you tuck it in your shirt when you start your engine or you might have Friday the 13th at the field [X(]
Old 05-03-2005, 06:39 AM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

Get the JR one from Horizon Hobby,,,,,
Old 05-03-2005, 07:31 AM
OSilfa
My Feedback: (2)

I use it like security item,i think that is important like the 3th assistant for any unexpected.

Oscar Silfa
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 AM
JuniorPilot

Oh, never seen any TOC or XFC pilots up in Canada except when you and Frank came up for the Aerobatics thing in Guelph.
ORIGINAL: JAS

Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 AM
CAPtain232

ORIGINAL: JAS

Well which ones do you guys use? I would assume many of you use the BRAND NAME that sponsors you, but for those that aren't sponsored by a brand name, is there one that they prefer over another?
Old 05-03-2005, 10:39 AM
edgeman55
My Feedback: (25)

Most of the high end radios come with one.This is like the debate thumbs or pinch,to strap or not to strap.Well at the least you look cool with it around your neck when not flying.I am a thumbs no strap kind of pilot.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
gixxer01

The JR strap definately has more adjustment than the futaba, but if you want a nice cushy couch to sit in so to speak, check out the higher end sax straps at the music store. some are padded nylon, and others are neoprene, like 2 inches wide around the neck. all depends on what you want. Heck, Outdoor connection makes a "bino system" that goes over your shoulders and crosses in the middle of your back, no neck strain. They have it @ basspro.com or cabelas.com. There are a few suggestions.

I do have the bino system for my hunting optics, but never felt the need to try it with my Tx. I use a JR strap.

Tim
Old 05-03-2005, 09:26 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

For $8 buy one of each!

Make sure you tuck it in your shirt when you start your engine or you might have Friday the 13th at the field
I was just going to say that. Personally I throw mine over my shoulder when starting. I never forget either... there's something to that whole mortal fear instinct.

I can't believe there are now 23 posts on this thread
Old 05-17-2005, 02:28 PM
RCTraymanUSA

***** Message for RC TRAYMAN from CAPtain232*****

If you are going to ADVERTISE, do it properly!!! I asked about NECK STRAPS not trays