Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Easy Engine Test Stand

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Easy Engine Test Stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:13 PM
RickShaw739

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Engine Test Stand

I made this engine test stand out of an old Aircore power cartage.
Also good for training new-pilots on engine set up.
Works great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50743.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	268282   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42937.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	268283  
Old 05-07-2005, 07:29 PM
RC-Captain

Default RE: Easy Engine Test Stand

Do you think I would be able to take one to the field ? I need something because breaking in an engine on the plane is becoming a drag. [&o]
Old 05-08-2005, 12:26 AM
RickShaw739

Default RE: Easy Engine Test Stand

Sure you could take it to the field.
I've just got it mounted to a 3' piece of shelving wood, and three piece's of 2x4. If you don't have a AirCore power cartage.
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKH33&P=ML]U.S. AirCore[/link]

It's nothing to make one like it. As you can see all you need is a way to mount the engine and gas tank and a servo.
I Velcro the receiver and battery to the wood. If you have an old servo that doesn't work any more you can use it and just use your hand to move it open and closed...works just fine.

I'm going to drill two holes at the far end so I can drive two stakes in the ground to hold it in place while starting the engine. I've been having a friend hold his foot on it, or put it up next to a solid object to hold it in place.

But yeah, its portable. I can hold it up in the air at any angle as you would a plane to check the carb for stalling out.

Really making the cartage part would be better if it was wider from the engine back, than the AirCore cartage. Because of gas tank foaming. There is no room for any kind of padding with the AirCore cartage. And the gas in the tank will foam on you, as they do in an AirCore plane... But not as much, the test stand is pretty sturdy, when mounted in the plane the whole plane is vibrating.
Use screws on it not nails to hold it all together.

Best of luck
Rick